Musings on super stones, Marketing stones for more then fundamental intrinsic value.

shelikes2read

I´m sure crystal properties are more mystical than scientific if we are talking about the hard sciences like physics. But psychology is science,too, right? Crystals are not even untestable for me if I´m thinking of psychology. I think my crystals are a lot like mirrors. If I take my aquamarine and believe that it will soothe me and calm my nerves during an exam then it may just mirror that wish back to me. Looking at it will remind me of my wish of serenity and calm. I´m sure, however, that I would not feel any such energies in the kind of blind test you described above. I would not feel any calming tingle in my fingers or anything :p

I think the point is that if you want,say, the kind of energies that Super Seven is supposed to give and believe that it will then it may be a good idea to get that crystal. But you need to do that with your eyes open, knowing that the seller may try to cheat or something like that. However, if you like the stone and you feel it can mirror the kind of properties you are looking for then why not?
I think that an individual's feeling a connection with stones, or with a particular stone, is a kind of psychic phenomena -- hard to prove to someone else. There is however, a reason why the fable "The Emperor's New Clothes" resonates with us all. Everyone in the country, including the Emperor, claimed to see the beautiful new clothes, supposedly only visible to particularly good or clever people, rather than admit they couldn't see anything. And it took the wisdom of a child to blurt out that the Emperor was walking around in his underwear, with no magic clothes at all.

So it's never a bad idea to take a logical step back, before investing in an expensive purchase, and ask ourselves, "Does the emperor have no clothes? Do the clothes have no emperor?" If the stone passes this test, THEN buying it is a desirable act.

stonesatiety

Exclusion by wealth

One thing I have found. If a person needs something and is open to what they need, it will come. If diamonds are too expensive, quartz will come. Earth has so many, many ways to nurture her brood. When an avenue is closed for whatever reason, another opens wide. Yet some people want to pay a lot. Are "people with money who want to spend it" excluded from inner work and self healing? It's another way, is all. Some people want a $10,000 Reiki Master attunement. Wonderful!!! That's what I say if that's the path that feels right. (I didn't let go my aversion overnight!) Priority number one among non-humans I've lived and played with for years--away from home too!--has been human awakening. Our every action directly effects everybody and everything, everywhere, has been my experience. Yowsa! In the current vernacular, either we are badass, or well, we are badass. There's no way around it. ;-)

On the other hand, when we are not open, nothing will help. At a friend's request, I helped remove grieving energy. His face lightened, his body straightened and he sat there surprised. The grief was gone. Later he went over and asked for *more* help from someone else, who took him right back to where he was! Although he said he wanted to be happy, his actions proved that he was playing that violin for himself! What a huge reminder for me to do my part, then move on. Healing is a personal responsibility and there is no right or wrong. Only experience exists in life. We can learn from it or repeat it. No problem.

stonesatiety

Hemera: Beautiful granite jewelry! Thanks!

stonesatiety

Should I Stay or Should I go?

Regarding the proof issue, in my experience, science uses a narrow set of accepted conditions for proof. This is a self-limited state, which has helped us climb out of thousands of years of confusion. However, there is so much more, beyond the reach of what we call science.

We divided our consciousness in order to obtain clarity, which worked as a tool. However, this clarity does not apply universally, nor is it balanced from a wider viewpoint. Scientific clarity is a tool rather than an end state.

Funny that another post in the "using tarot" section came to mind here. It has Lovers and 2/Swords. This perfectly describes the trepidation on the verge of making the leap necessary in order to experience greater reality. It's a world beyond belief. When we believe, we leave being. I like to think of beliefs as climbing aids we use before we remember our mountain goat nature. Goats climb beyond the human world, beyond rationality, into the paradise we share.

wildchilde

Thank-you for the thoughtful relies.

Testing the stone often destroys the stone, and it is expensive. If you are lucky more then a single rock will be tested in a mined area for The new-age market. It really is buyer beware. x-ray is for structure, chemical for composition. Obviously it is the chemical tests the destroy the sample. These tests are not cheap so physical characteristics is how most stones you will buy are "tested", these would be the better sellers. By the way you can have your own stones tested. Chemex labs here on the mainland has tested samples for me ( I was looking for gold, really lol)

That was only one point in my post, anyone care to tackle some of the other issues, particularly directed at this super seven? :) Or did I answer my own question when I acknowledged the properties may be more mystical then scientific, and therefore untestable for those without the ability, as I am to experience them subjectively. And if that is the case can someone give me a theory to explain why this can be experienced( by some) but cannot be tested objectively and empirically?

I'm not sure that I am the right person to take a shot at this because I too only heard of "Super Seven" from this forum recently and purchased a few very inexpensive pieces just to see what was what. For the record, I do "get more out of" other stones, but I still am happy to have these as well just for the subjective experience of them. As I mentioned before, I was not able to find any scientific facts pertaining to the stone only heresay on a few gemological forums/sites.

As to your question, yes, I think you answered for yourself. The metaphysical properties of any stone are not scientifically testable the way the mineralogical properties can be tested. The very definition of metaphysical is that which is beyond the physical or the perception of the five senses, hence the spirit realm. I don't know of anyone as yet who has been able to empirically prove the existence of the spirit realm let alone ways of "testing" for it other than subjective experience and perceptions.

Based on your description of the means of 'scientifically testing' stone properties I am now concerned though in regard to the properties of any stone. When did testing one in (say) one million become the scientific rule for determining anything? (I'm not making light of what you described, I honestly am asking the question as I would think that testing stone quality would be more in depth than that, especially when it comes to more precious stones like diamonds, etc) If only one in one million is tested then how can anyone know the true mineralogical properties of any one specific stone? And if this is the case, how does testing one piece of 'super seven' in one million mean that all seven properties have not been found in any one piece of the stone? Statistically speaking this sounds as far fetched to me as the metaphysical properties of stones sound to you.

(pls note that I am only using one million as a qualifier, I don't have any idea how many stones are in a testing batch per mine)

The crowned one

These are in a sense "waste rock" and not worth testing beyond categorizing them, its value is limited to people who find them pretty or magical. Other crystals are obvious as to what they are by their physical characteristics, but when you are buying seven I would expect 7 :) I guarantee this is not the case with all the stones listed as such, but I guess if you have access to the metaphysical side of the stone you will pick up on the missing elements. I would have to test them.

Wildechilde: so it is like faith? not testable but as real as your faith as long as you have faith? Anyone ever lost faith in the power of stones here, beyond their natural beauty and satisfaction of ownership?

wildchilde

These are in a sense "waste rock" and not worth testing beyond categorizing them, its value is limited to people who find them pretty or magical. Other crystals are obvious as to what they are by their physical characteristics, but when you are buying seven I would expect 7 :) I guarantee this is not the case with all the stones listed as such, but I guess if you have access to the metaphysical side of the stone you will pick up on the missing elements. I would have to test them.

Thank you for the clear answer, TCO! And for not making fun of my limited understanding of science. :) I feel much better now about the process, especially in relation to more "higher end" stones like diamonds and such.

Wildechilde: so it is like faith? not testable but as real as your faith as long as you have faith? Anyone ever lost faith in the power of stones here, beyond their natural beauty and satisfaction of ownership?

well, I cannot speak for anyone but myself on this matter. To me it is not about faith. If I don't believe in chairs does that mean that chairs do not exist and are not functional for all people to sit in? I do not have to believe or have faith in a chair for its power to relieve exhaustion, or an aching back and feet, to be real and meaningful. I also don't have to believe or have faith in the power of stones for that power to be real and meaningful, I just may not be aware of it or have any need for it, etc. I only began to fully engage with the healing properties of stones in the past year, but that doesn't mean that stones just all of sudden "magically" got powerful because I became aware of it, it means the potential was always there and I finally opened up my body/mind/spirit to what they have to offer. Many people do not ever get to that point whether they like "pretty stones" or not, and that is perfectly okay. A chair is still a chair waiting to be sat upon and a stone is still a stone waiting to be admired and utilized to its fullest potential.

stonesatiety

TCO: I was sceptical too, a healthy position from my perspective. In my case, I refused to believe anything. If I experienced something, I knew from experience it was possible. I haven't changed in this way. When I'm experiencing something, I usually remember to check myself with external references, different senses, etc. If I can repeat something I do. A side effect of this, over the years, is that I can more easily share with others. There is no point trying to prove my experiences--waste of time--but I enjoy sharing for others who have encountered or wonder about experience outside that accepted. How fascinating when others relax and start sharing!

I would describe one's initial step into exploring all-inclusive reality more like stepping off a high dive the first time. It can be frightening. (My first and only time so far was as a teenager, at night, having snuck into the local college diving area with friends. Ouch! But the pain was temporary.) In this case we can see others jumping off and emerging unscathed, so there's a better than even chance we can do the same.

With the unseen, untestable aspects of ourselves and external reality, we certainly feel something, or the lack of something. Otherwise, we would not question it. But it's invisible to us! Is there water down there? Is there a high dive? Am I awake or just dreaming? ARE THEY ALL A BUNCH OF LOONIES?! Is anybody looking? (We look around.)

Once we jump off that "inner high dive," there is no going back. We know. In a zombie movie, we're a zombie! :) One's inner directed life can be quite fun! I'm not making fun, just having it. Written communication leaves so much out. Trust yourself to make decisions that feel right for you. Only you contain answers perfect for you. At least that's been my experience thus far, the best I can do as a fellow human.