Elements in Lenormand

Ruby Jewel

Does anyone know whether the tarot swords is represented by diamonds or spades in the Lenormand Grand Tableau?

reall

swords are spades!:))
diamonds=coins/pentacles
hearts=cups
clover=wands!:))
at least that's the case in my tradition!^^ check my free e book for more info http://fav.me/d9sqzk0 and feel free to ask me anything!^^ best luck with your Lenormand journey!^^:))

Barleywine

Following the cartomantic associations that I've seen, Spades in the Lenormand playing-card insets represent Swords, which in playing-card reading show negativity and all manner of difficulties. But it's interesting that all of the truly negative Lenormand cards have a "Clubs" inset, which Caitlin Matthews considers a definite "no" to the Spades "maybe no." This despite the fact that the cartomantic Clubs are associated with Wands and reflect mostly positive qualities like enterprise, ambition, resourcefulness, activity, practicality. However, the Spades-associated cards are almost all "neutral" in effect while the Clubs cards - with one or two exceptions - are all challenging. I'm a beginner with reading playing-card suits, but this strikes me as an anomaly when mated with the Lenormand card meanings.

Teheuti

It's better not to fall into the trap of associating Lenormand playing cards with Tarot suits or elements. It's it's like associating apples and squash.

Lenormand cards can be loosely correlated with 18th and 19th century German "Sheepshead" playing card suits and meanings, which are significantly different than either the English or French systems as Barleywine explained.