Where did the "LITERAL" meanings stem from?

Teheuti

I think a lot of these "literal" meanings emerged with the internet and especially from reading and sharing short daily spreads and mundane events. Not everyone has a health crisis when Tree shows up (Tree when "near" in a GT indicates health problems). But a branch from a tree may have fallen or you might be planting a tree or walking among trees that day. I've seen quite a few daily spreads where an actual tree was involved in an unmistakable way. The same with Dog, although it is often generalized to refer to any pet. Coffin can mean an empty wallet or something in a box.

The internet favors sharing short spreads, where even 9 cards can seem like too much to take in. We also want to see immediate results and get feedback while the events are still fresh in our minds. Several people like Donnaleigh, Caitlín, Rana, Andy, me and many others noticed the scaling down of life-changing/disturbing events to simple, everyday things. I believe that some of them were noted by the German Lenormand teachers.

Tower originally meant "a long and happy life." That's perfect for a once-in-lifetime GT but not for daily spreads.

DownUnderNZer

I think the Lenormand was meant to address everyday situations not what is going to happen in my day.

Perhaps it was formed as a way to develop.

Tree can be sowing a small seed to a seedling and/or branching out from the roots up - it all depends on the question. If it is about health then it is health, but if something else is asked or just general - it change somewhat.

I think literal is a way of getting around not really understanding how to apply them and an easy way of making it go with ones day when nothing makes sense.

However, I do not think they were meant for the day, but situations in a person's life.

However...

Once recently I was able to connect them to "Lisa Lopez's" death by crashing into a tree quite literally.

Maybe it is just not something I'd do with them in general nor to ever be given a reading in that fashion either.

What if I dont have a dog or tree? That reader would be off, off, and off some more.

DND :)

I think a lot of these "literal" meanings emerged with the internet and especially from reading and sharing short daily spreads and mundane events. Not everyone has a health crisis when Tree shows up (Tree when "near" in a GT indicates health problems). But a branch from a tree may have fallen or you might be planting a tree or walking among trees that day. I've seen quite a few daily spreads where an actual tree was involved in an unmistakable way. The same with Dog, although it is often generalized to refer to any pet. Coffin can mean an empty wallet or something in a box.

The internet favors sharing short spreads, where even 9 cards can seem like too much to take in. We also want to see immediate results and get feedback while the events are still fresh in our minds. Several people like Donnaleigh, Caitlín, Rana, Andy, me and many others noticed the scaling down of life-changing/describing events to simple, everyday things. I believe that some of them were noted by the German Lenormand teachers.

Tower originally meant "a long and happy life." That's perfect for a once-in-lifetime GT but not for daily spreads.

tarotlova

Tree also suggests that you should set aside time for thought, if it falls on your own personal or central card, sit in the shade as it were and think things through, if it falls beside the Key you will shortly obtain an important goal. It is even better if it falls beside negative cards such as Mice, Snake or Clouds as it has the power to ameliorate their negativity, the strong tree overcomes all other worries.

The Tower is an occult card, it represents protection from a hidden power or something which is destined, which is also true of the Cross. It is also a card that bestows a good long life on the person it is next to so if it covers the first card drawn the person will live long and well. When the Tower appears in a short 7-9 card reading there is a sense that fate will direct the person having the reading.

Garden relates to the matter of the heart as it is a throwback to the times when people could only have some privacy if seen publicly such as in a garden. If it is beside the Fish then it will be job related, Lily a hospital, (although for me this combo comes up as a job offer) Stork a really important invitation awaits, Ring a wedding, House a home with a lovely garden. It is read as somewhere social restful and positive.

Dog a person of either sex who is important to the person being read for, or in certain cases it could suggest that the person being read for has to behave in a more friendly manner towards someone. Beside the Heart more of a friendship than passion, beside the Ring a relationship growing out of a friendship. The Dog is help from reliable friends unless it is near the Fox. Dog for me often comes up as a Spirit watching over my client.

Snake demands wisdom on the person being read for as it may indicate deceit from someone close to them. It is entirely guided by the cards around it, if it falls regularly near your personal card it is wise to remember that speech is silver, while silence is golden so hold your tongue for awhile.

Anchor is the card of great security and represents staying put and you can be sure of whatever it falls beside, Heart be secure in your love, Fish money looks sound, House stay where your living, Garden don't change jobs right now, Ship you could be tugged between going away or staying put. If it falls beside negative cards Clouds, Whip, Mice etc, then stand your ground great stoicism is called for.

All these meanings are from Titania's Fortune cards, which is how I learned Lenormand way back in the year 2000. I had never heard of the GT or other ways or meanings of these cards until oh about 3 years ago? Not to sure when it was and oh how I struggled trying to learn another way! A lot of the so called traditional meanings just didn't work with my readings, some of them I have taken on like Fox standing for a 9-5 job. But as for the Cross being a doom and gloom card no I just don't read it that way and can't for the life of me see a symbol that has given hope to so many people over hundreds of years as being bad. To me it is a card of destiny and that your life is in the hands of the God's and you are being looked after, so if it is near the Heart destined love, came true for me :) These meanings have stood true for me for years, and the people who I give readings to are always happy. So I will continue to read in this way as I attract the clients who need to hear the way I read, as people are attracted to the way Steinbach or Rana Georges way of reading, I have both of their books too, and yes I do read intuitively with these cards like I do with the Tarot. read them as you please! :thumbsup:

Torann

I only see them "literal" in a daily spread. And it also depends on the question of course. To me, the literary meanings don't occur in bigger spreads like the GT. Then it becomes way more symbolic.

It could be a learning curve of course, i'm mostly self-taught, and i read the books and these threads. And I learn from you DND. ;-) A lot of the Lenormand readers here are like me, beginners. :)

Padma

I find them exceptionally literal, on a day to day basis. For example, my son wanted to buy I car; I asked would he get it. Rider +Anchor seemed to me a sure bet (Rider: young man, good news, Anchor: something solid, reliable; Rider + Anchor, Journey ends with a reliable car.

Yes, journey ended with a reliable car. However, the car was a Chevvie Cavalier.

Cavalier = Rider.

Car needs some repairs to be in perfect order - Anchor = not moving till fixed and reliable.

Literal.

Also Dog came up in regard to the car, several times. Son was looking at cars far away from home, but in the end, bought a car three blocks from home. So Dog literally meant, in your home territory.

ETA I have found my daily spreads to be literal in the extreme. Not so in large spreads covering months.

Just because your mileage may differ from others, it does not make others wrong, yeah?

Torann

Today I had lilies and scythe. I had to put my 12 year old dog down today. Too literal for me. :(

DownUnderNZer

I bought her kit some years back, but have never really taken a look at it. Just the cards.

My sister found it somewhere in Brisbane for like $25 and took a liking to the cards and bigger size, so told me about it. Maybe back in 2008. So, I got it for the cards.

You use a similar system to Phillipe ? plus the influence of negative or positive cards.

But...do you use the cards like Dog is for dog or Tree is Tree.

That is what I mean by literal.

Tree also suggests that you should set aside time for thought, if it falls on your own personal or central card, sit in the shade as it were and think things through, if it falls beside the Key you will shortly obtain an important goal. It is even better if it falls beside negative cards such as Mice, Snake or Clouds as it has the power to ameliorate their negativity, the strong tree overcomes all other worries.

The Tower is an occult card, it represents protection from a hidden power or something which is destined, which is also true of the Cross. It is also a card that bestows a good long life on the person it is next to so if it covers the first card drawn the person will live long and well. When the Tower appears in a short 7-9 card reading there is a sense that fate will direct the person having the reading.

Garden relates to the matter of the heart as it is a throwback to the times when people could only have some privacy if seen publicly such as in a garden. If it is beside the Fish then it will be job related, Lily a hospital, (although for me this combo comes up as a job offer) Stork a really important invitation awaits, Ring a wedding, House a home with a lovely garden. It is read as somewhere social restful and positive.

Dog a person of either sex who is important to the person being read for, or in certain cases it could suggest that the person being read for has to behave in a more friendly manner towards someone. Beside the Heart more of a friendship than passion, beside the Ring a relationship growing out of a friendship. The Dog is help from reliable friends unless it is near the Fox. Dog for me often comes up as a Spirit watching over my client.

Snake demands wisdom on the person being read for as it may indicate deceit from someone close to them. It is entirely guided by the cards around it, if it falls regularly near your personal card it is wise to remember that speech is silver, while silence is golden so hold your tongue for awhile.

Anchor is the card of great security and represents staying put and you can be sure of whatever it falls beside, Heart be secure in your love, Fish money looks sound, House stay where your living, Garden don't change jobs right now, Ship you could be tugged between going away or staying put. If it falls beside negative cards Clouds, Whip, Mice etc, then stand your ground great stoicism is called for.

All these meanings are from Titania's Fortune cards, which is how I learned Lenormand way back in the year 2000. I had never heard of the GT or other ways or meanings of these cards until oh about 3 years ago? Not to sure when it was and oh how I struggled trying to learn another way! A lot of the so called traditional meanings just didn't work with my readings, some of them I have taken on like Fox standing for a 9-5 job. But as for the Cross being a doom and gloom card no I just don't read it that way and can't for the life of me see a symbol that has given hope to so many people over hundreds of years as being bad. To me it is a card of destiny and that your life is in the hands of the God's and you are being looked after, so if it is near the Heart destined love, came true for me :) These meanings have stood true for me for years, and the people who I give readings to are always happy. So I will continue to read in this way as I attract the clients who need to hear the way I read, as people are attracted to the way Steinbach or Rana Georges way of reading, I have both of their books too, and yes I do read intuitively with these cards like I do with the Tarot. read them as you please! :thumbsup:

DownUnderNZer

Inevitable and a non changing decision based on life experience I'd say with that combo and something that had to be done from start to finish.

Today I had lilies and scythe. I had to put my 12 year old dog down today. Too literal for me. :(

DownUnderNZer

But you asked a question, so it fits in compared to something like: "What should I expect today"?

Dog Tree Fox

A dog is going to chase a fox up or near a tree.

Scythe Garden Tree

You are going to be mowing the lawns and pruning trees.

"Anchor" can mean a long time, but I do not see the "repair" aspect to it.

I wouldn't see dog as home territory unless it had HOME next to it.

There would have to be a certain range of cards to be present for me to see something like repairs or home territory. Eg Mice/Home.

But with Rider and Anchor I would think something "solid" for sure and within a short time up to a year max.

I find them exceptionally literal, on a day to day basis. For example, my son wanted to buy I car; I asked would he get it. Rider +Anchor seemed to me a sure bet (Rider: young man, good news, Anchor: something solid, reliable; Rider + Anchor, Journey ends with a reliable car.

Yes, journey ended with a reliable car. However, the car was a Chevvie Cavalier.

Cavalier = Rider.

Car needs some repairs to be in perfect order - Anchor = not moving till fixed and reliable.

Literal.

Also Dog came up in regard to the car, several times. Son was looking at cars far away from home, but in the end, bought a car three blocks from home. So Dog literally meant, in your home territory.

ETA I have found my daily spreads to be literal in the extreme. Not so in large spreads covering months.

Just because your mileage may differ from others, it does not make others wrong, yeah?