Did you start with RWS?

mac22

Yes RWS was my first deck.... but 35+ yrs ago there were far fewer decks to even choose from.:D I had only seen one very old Marseilles deck. :) The very thought of owning more than one deck had never entered my mind. :)

Mac22

Queen of Pentacle

Being French, my first deck was a Marseille, majors only, by Wirth.

Until a few years, Rider Waite were very very rare in Fench speaking country...

But I use mostly Rider-Waite for years now, and enjoy it a lot.

Queen of Pentacle

Being French, my first deck was a Marseille, majors only, by Wirth.

Until a few years, Rider Waite were very very rare in Fench speaking country...

But I use mostly Rider-Waite for years now, and enjoy it a lot.

I am really longing for the Wirth Reedition by Scarabeo with (waw) illustrated pip!

yaraluna

nope.
i started with the Mythic tarot. I have never used or bought a RWS. I am in the process of finding one of the old versions with the old font, nothing of the new ones by USG.

I got a mini just to get used to it and it is good enough for now.

yara

Starling

yaraluna said:
nope.
i started with the Mythic tarot. I have never used or bought a RWS. I am in the process of finding one of the old versions with the old font, nothing of the new ones by USG.

I got a mini just to get used to it and it is good enough for now.

yara

I've got one of the "new ones". It has to be 20 years old but every card has a tiny copyright by USG. Actually I think it might be older than 20 years old. I can't quite remember when my first round with Tarot was. I've seen scans of the original printing of some of the cards, and there are some color and screening differences, but not changes in the font that I could see. Are the brand new cards that different from my deck?

Could you explain what you are actually looking for that is different? Or are you just looking for an old used deck?

tarotrose

six months in, just bought RWS

Started out with Llewellyn tarot, bought Thoth a month later, and just now got RWS more for study and comparison than anything. I love the depth and richness and artwork of the Thoth, and my girlfriends love the beautiful Llewellyn, but RWS seems like the most straightfoward of decks -- maybe because most generic tarot information and materials are keyed to RWS. At any rate, my readings with RWS have been very straightforward and to the point. I'm struggling with Thoth for public readings, but I suspect RWS will be an easier read when reading for others...

The fun part is experiment and discovery!

yaraluna

Starling said:
Could you explain what you are actually looking for that is different? Or are you just looking for an old used deck?

I am looking for non-USGames branded ones, so they would be old ones and printed in europe. I just don't want anything with that annoying plastic film coating of USGames...

yara

Starling

yaraluna said:
I am looking for non-USGames branded ones, so they would be old ones and printed in europe. I just don't want anything with that annoying plastic film coating of USGames...

yara

Well, if this thing had a plastic coating, it is long gone. <grin> But yes, I know what you mean. It takes a while to get rid of that slipperyness that is so slick it is just annoying.

Magnolia

I've only recently started learning the Tarot and I'm using the Universal Waite deck. I like the imagery on the cards as I can make some initial sense of the meaning from the picture. I'm only starting to get an idea of the huge number of different decks out there, but at the moment I'm afraid of brain overload by looking at any other decks.

Lulu

It was my first deck 25 years ago. I absolutely loved it. I was able to start reading immediately with it. I now use the Univeral Waite.

Lulu