Do Tarot Cards Lie?

AJ

No, I don't believe the cards lie, I think the recipients believe. And then waste a lot of their time and life.

I don't believe in predictive readings. I don't believe anyone anywhere can foretell the future.
So I don't use the cards for that purpose.

tarotbear

On the contrary it has all been very, very positive which is why I am perplexed as to why the cards have not brought anything up. I would have thought that given the problems it would have at least flagged it up somewhere and even when the issues came to light and I did questions on the tarot again it came back very positive.

Lorianne1100 - I want to tell you something that happened on this board ten years ago (yes, I have been here that long!)

On 9/11 we all sat and watched in horror as the WTC fell.

On 9/12 AT was abuzz! Why didn't anyone 'see' this coming? Why did no one find out some tidbit somehwere that would have warned us? Surely with all the Tarot readers out there SOMEONE in the world must have seen this horrible event in the cards?

None of us did.

Did the cards lie?

Yes, you asked deliberate, specific questions about a specific problem {No one was asking 'Will the World trade Center get destroyed today?'} and did not receive an answer that you feel referenced or even acknowledged the question. Perhaps you did receive the answer to the question, but it was not what you were expecting, and as Mainegirl117 stated "With a few of them I'm realising the predictions are only now coming to pass (some 2-3 years later) and they made absolutely no sense to me back when I received them."

We are not trashing your reader, nor slighting your reading ability.

Lorraine1100

Kangiska, I will give you an example of a redaing that I did myself in relation to finances on 5th March last.

The question was would I be able to pay off all of my debts in the next 14 days?

As an aside note the payment of the debt was for the lawyer and a credit card bill!

So here it all came out

Ace of Wands
Ace of Cups
2 of Cups
10 Pentacles
Empress
Temperance
Star

So I took this to mean something positive would give me a break to be able to have the money to pay everything off. I sold stuff on Ebay and made a little, I got two weeks work through an agency and that went some way. However, it only met a quarter of the bill and yes I even played the lottery that week as well and won nothing.

So, after putting in allot of effort nothing materlised in that 14 day period to suggest I would meet those liabilities. Yet when you see two Aces together it would suggest something both good and big was on the horizon, but on reflection it did not occur in the timescale and it has not moved on anything in the last three weeks eithe despite still selling things on Ebay, doing car boots and working hard speaking and emailing employment agencies for any work!

It's a real dilemma because I am now really thinking it's me thats the issue!

Barleywine

I agree with tarotbear: Tarot is "of the moment." Having used tarot, geomancy and astrology for a few decades now, I find astrology to be the only method that is truly useful for longer-range forecasting. I never thought to put a time-limit on the effective span of a tarot reading, but I know some people allow a month or so. I don't think the cards (or more accurately, an honest and competent reader) will "lie," but the more time that passes from the date of the reading, the more variables that will enter the picture. A life has lots of interwoven strands, and it might be argued that any method of divination only pulls one or two of the (hopefully) major ones each time it is performed. This is probably why I don't spend any time doing "life-reading" spreads.

tarotbear

I don't want to analyse your reading since this is the wrong forum for it, but looking at the two Aces together triggered off the season they also represent in my mind, and there is no '14 days' in them, but several months, Wands being autumn 2012, and Cups being summer of 2013.

But this is only MY interpretation. I can be wrong, you can be wrong, and the next person to post about this can all be wrong about that, too. But that doesn't mean the cards are 'lying.'

Kangiska

Hi Lorraine

Maybe it would also help to give us the meaning of the position.
Else you can read them just as you like.

Greetings

Kangiska

Lorraine1100

So Tarotbear am I being wrong and placing pressure on the tarot to be time specific and it cannot do that? Is that what it's underlying message is?

It's just I have seen so many forum members on here do a daily question and also a timed question as well (it's where I got the idea originally from!!) and be able to have a guidance. I thought perhaps, I was able to do something similar. This has been a recurring theme for a good while which is why I am having trust with the tarot!

Hi Kangiska,

I didn't do a celtic cross or anything like that I just asked the question and out they came. It was because they were so positive that perhaps I was lulled into a false sense of security. That everyting was going to be alright and I would find the money to clear the bills - then it never happened and I felt 'betrayed'. Betrayed is a good word because at that point I lost faith in myself and then went back over on all the previous readings and then started to question things.

MaineGirl117

I do daily draws and 24-hour readings, sometimes with specific questions, sometimes for general guidance.

SOMETIMES I see manifestation of my question in the requested time period, but sometimes the deck has a different message or it's own timeline in mind.

You're not always going to get the answer you're looking for, in the time you've asked for it.

Sulis

Moderator note

Please no readings here. If you want to discuss a specific reading please post it in Your Readings and add a link to it in this thread.

Edited to add: readings posted in Your Readings must be readings done by yourself and not done by someone who isn't 'here' to discuss it.

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

Sulis

I think the problem here is not that tarot is lying or that the reader is lying or is even reading the cards wrongly.. The problem is that you're expecting tarot to look a long way into the future; a future which is always changing and which depends entirely on the decisions made in the present.

From my experience, you can show future trends with tarot and you can predict but those predictions are very short-term and depend on everything staying exactly as it is at the time of the reading so no changes of direction, no decisions made by people who may affect things..
You can predict with tarot by using the theory of cause and effect where the present is a direct result of what's gone before and so is the future. In this way you can see how things have been, how they have made things as they are now and you can continue that to project onto the future.
But what if someone tells you something in a reading and that alters your behaviour so that the future will also change? Does that make the reading wrong? I don't think so, it just makes the reading useful.

Tarot is descriptive, it's like taking a picture of a situation and being able to look at it in ways that you can't when you're right in the thick of it. A tarot reading gives perspective, shows you your life from different points of view. It shows how you've got to where you are now and will show how things will continue to develop if you stay on exactly the same course.

You are in control of your own destiny, you are not at the mercy of fate with no control over things yourself.

If the future was unchanging and we could all predict with absolute accuracy with a pack of cards bought for a few quid, don't you think we'd all be super-rich with clients coming out of our ears?