5 of Pentacles - the bell

Tarotdivine

I happened to look at this card this morning and noticed for the first time that the person with the crutches is wearing a bell around his neck.

Could this relate to past times, when people with leprosy or other contagious disease were forced to wear bells so others would know they were coming?

-- Lee

Oh gosh Lee, I had never noticed the bell! Thank you for pointing it out.
Besides the other views on this page which are very thought-provoking, this is my take -
This card also indicates that that though there is poverty, loneliness, misfortune, loss, strife, there IS a solution, a way out or someone who can help you, you just need to know where to look for it.....the ringing of the bell could be to indicate that he is looking for that "someone" to help him....
Bells are rung in Hindu Temples in india to ward off negativity and evil and to invite the deities to listen to our prayers/devotion...
It's almost as though this bell that will be ringing as he goes through the misfortune, to ward off the negativity that has struck him and to invoke the blessings of a higher power to take away the suffering that he is going through...

Tarotdivine

Lee, I've read about the leprosy connection and that lepers used to have to shout "Unclean" when they were walking toward a group of people to warn them of there approch.
This helped me to see this card in different ways.
Not only can circumstances dictate our unhappiness but if we see ourselves as inferior it's very hard to ask for help.
Or feel we deserve more out of life.
When I notice the little bell in a reading it often means a lack of self-worth.

Yes I totally agree with this... The people in the 5 of pentacles card are considered out-casts and shunned

Tarotdivine

Interesting. Perhaps the bell could also symbolic of a cry for help, or a plea for others to be more understanding and sympathetic to the situation of another?

C

Yeah centaur... I agree.. They are wanting to be accepted again...

Tarotdivine

This is a very interesting thread... Thank u Lee for posting it and starting this discussion!