Thoughts on the Page of Cups

Fulgour

Crowley?

kilts_knave said:
Crowley assigns the Knight hierarchically larger that the King
If a Knight's a King and a King's a Knight
if you see a Knight King as a King Knight
then a King is a King King when a Knight
is a Knight Knight, and not a Knight King.

caridwen

kilts_knave said:
The GD dawn system associated the zodiacs with courts. However, Crowley assigns the Knight hierarchically larger that the King; therefore, Kings are Pisces, Gemini, Virgo, and Sagittarius rather than the Knights, who are Scorpio, Aquarius, Taurus, and Leo.

KK

Don't get where this is going...this is the RWS forum. Why all the chat about Golden Dawn system?

firecatpickles

aibhlin said:
Where did you get that system from?
Weren't Waite and Smith members of the Golden Dawn? Don't they take attributes from the Book T? Just trying to be helpful.

KK

firecatpickles

In RWS Knights are Pisces, Gemini, Virgo, and Sagittarius rather than the Kings, who are Scorpio, Aquarius, Taurus, and Leo. The Page of CUps is associated with the Hanged Man. I think.

KK

aibhlin

kilts_knave said:
Weren't Waite and Smith members of the Golden Dawn? Don't they take attributes from the Book T? Just trying to be helpful.

KK

Yeah... I wasn't trying to bring you down, only I learned the RWS system and that wasn't it so I got a bit confused. No need to go all defensive.

The_Star

Page of Cups...

moggy said:
Does anyone have some thoughts/experiences w/the Page of Cups?

This card keeps coming up in my readings. I was told by my last reader that, as a defining card in my reading, the card had to do w/ a happy surprise on its way - but that it was the kind of surprise that is supposed to kept secret until it happens (like a child receiving his wrapped presents at Christmas). That it portends something really wonderful... O, I wonder what it is : )

Since then, I've really paid close attention to it and I have to say I think it now is my fave card. The soft pinks, blues and mellow yellow colors really seem soothing but joyful. The fish peeking out of the cup, like it was found out, and the amused look on the page's face as he looks at it really make me laugh. I keep thinking too that the scarf from his hat, that wraps under his chin, seems reflective of a fish tail...

What do you all think??

The Page of Cups represents the activity necessary to become a King of Cups! The Page is dynamically loving and demonstrates (unconsciously perhaps) how he/she likes to be treated by others.
The only 'problem' with the Page is that loving is a two way street so the Page needs to learn to receive love also (for balance and nourishment).

Sometimes the Page can be like an affectionate Golden Retriever who won't sit still to so you can pet him.

Snookum

This card has been coming up a lot for me in the future position (celtic x) lately. Just thought I'd share my take:

Back in August I read for myself and a friend over a picnic. I was surprised to see it appear for me, as for me, it symbolises a crush, and I hadn't had one of those for years (and had resigned myself to the menopause taking away those feelings), but sure enough: a few weeks later (via work) I was back in touch with an old boyfriend from twenty years ago. And being in touch with him evoked wonderful feelings in me of being a teenager again.

Since August the card has continued to appear (not every time, but a lot) and I'm still in touch with my old friend regularly. And my feelings for him have grown alongside this card appearing. Yesterday the PoCs appeared again. I guess there will be more to this story. Even if the relationship doesn't progress beyond writing contact, my feelings of being in love are very powerful, and I honestly thought those days were behind me. For me, when I see this card in a reading, I know it means love.

Richard

Don't get where this is going...this is the RWS forum. Why all the chat about Golden Dawn system?
The Waite as well as the Thoth deck are derived from the Golden Dawn Tarot theory outlined in Book T. This is an undisputed fact, whether or not one wants to believe it.

The fish (such as that in the Page's cup) is often used by PCS in other Court Cards to represent Water/Cups Elementals (Nymphs and Undines).

Zephyros

Isn't the fish an early symbol for Jesus? To me this fits, as the Page is the Earth of Water, which is, other than the Queen of Cups, the most female and receptive card in the minors, and as Jesus symbolizes acceptance of suffering, in a way, this Page represents this kind of suffering. Suffering not in a bad way (the fish is small) but a very harmonious portrayal of the passivity a combination these two elements represents. The Page is also "the throne of the Ace," which means that, while lowest in hierarchy, the Page holds the essence of the entire suit in her lap. The fish could be a clever way of having a vesica piscis there without actually having it.

As an aside, some people may not be comfortable with the card's religious overtones, but my meaning was Jesus as an idea, a concept, not the entirety of Christianity.

Richard

ΙΧΘΥΣ (FISH) is a Koiné Greek acronym for ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΥΙΟΣ ΣΩΤΗΡ (JESUS CHRIST, SON OF GOD, SAVIOR). I suppose it was used by Christians as a kind of Masonic "handshake" to identify themselves to other Christians in Pagan environments in which they were persecuted, probably as much for lack of personal hygiene (the "holy smell") as for reluctance to worship the Pagan deities.

Jesus in a Cup is an interesting concept. It could refer to something like the sang réal (royal blood or blood of Christ, supposedly a descendant of King David), which may at one time have been confused with san gréal (holy grail), since, as I seem to recall, words tended not to be separated in older forms of French. It would be in conformity with Waite and Crowley's concept of this being the suit of the Holy Grail. Hmmmm.........