Symbolism for the fool?

SoulFlower

Are their any symbols that you think are a must have for the fool card?

Do you think the bag and the pet are a must for example?

Kaylee Marie

I say yes, yes yes to the bag. To me it symbolizes that the fool has prepared himself for the journey -- he's not as naive and innocent as he looks. He's also literally got baggage -- this isn't his first trip into the unknown; perhaps he's made this trip many times before? And what jester is complete without his bag of tricks?

But this may be just me, as I've never agreed with the classic interpretation of young, naive, innocent, childish. The bag is THE thing telling me that in this trip through the tarot, not all will be as it appears...

The pet I could take or leave, although that too could represent forethought (bringing a dog for protection in addition to companionship).

rota

The bag is a symbol of a person's faculties and talents, the result of efforts made in past lives. As Kaylee points out, this isn't the first trip.

The dog or pet or companion animal is more ambiguous. WS decks show a friendly helper, guard or warning figure. Earlier decks often show an animal biting a foot or tearing clothes.

I often think of this animal companion as the less elevated results of past lives, which follow us can aid or impede progress, depending on one's own management of the cards they were dealt.

(so to speak...)

mistyiiching

the fool

the dog is a faithful companion and is with the fool as his guide his protector , in the rider waite deck the fool is standing on the edge of a cliff but not to walk forward but looks to the heavens for hte answers , to me he is happy and joyfull and is awaitng a answer , he is blessed with the gift of life and is in joyfull harmony with Spring , and yes he is on his path and goes forward but isnt fool enough to be walking over the edge of the cliff , awaits the call for his next move from his guidence above

SoulFlower

The last two repliers didn't get my question.

I'm creating the fool card at the moment and I want to know which symbolism you concider important. Something that has to be featured on the card.

temperlyne

What symbols you want to incorporate into your card depends on what you think the fool is all about. To me he is about purity, ignorance and leap of faith. So to me a cliff or something signifying that leap of faith would be reguired, and something that suggests that he is pure, innocent, untouched by expectations and disapointments. I believe a fool can be a fool without the sack and dog. It all depends on what you want him to signify.

Scout987a

Fool Things

Hello,
I'm probably in the minority, but I like to see interpretions of the Fool that are original but also incorporate the idea of the card.
I think that the "VOODOO" tarot utilizes an egg to portray beginning. I've also seen one that uses a baby.
I would say to you, if you find inspiration in the bag and the dog, then use them. If not, then don't.
(I'm working on my own deck, and my fool does not utilize either the man with the bag or a dog, but I've received enough feedback from the workshopping I do that has convinced me that my design works.)
Sincerely,
Scout987a

Sophie

SoulFlower said:
Do you think the bag and the pet are a must for example?
I don't think the dog is a pet: I think it's the fool's soul - or his nemesis. And the small bag is to show he travels lightly, has everything he needs about him.

Unlike many, I don't see the Fool as the beginning - that's the Magician, for me - but as appearing and disappearing between all cards and all worlds. A moving jack-in-the box, if you like.

If anything is necessary in a Fool card, I would say it is the road. He's a wanderer.

HudsonGray

I think if you show the facial expression or attitude that the Fool commonly would have, that would cover a lot of bases. The core is still the person on the card, so their body language, expression & attitude would play a major role.

The dog/animal can be left off if you don't want it in there, I'm not sure about the bag. Or the precipice.