Your very own list of "Top Ten Decks of All Time"

Debra

Well I'll be damned. Gregory! listed! ten!

I thought for sure we'd have to make it the "top 100" for a top collector.

gregory

You ! Said ! Ten!

And you are a clever person who knows stuff, so I obey.

Sometimes. })

Parzival

"Top Ten Tarots of All Time "

Thoth (muted green) ; "Original" RWS ; Roots of Asia ; Golden Botticelli ;
Dante Tarot ; Grail Tarot ; Celtic Wisdom; Glastonbury ; Nigel Jackson ;
I Tarocchi Egiziani .

Alta

Top Ten of all my time

Rider Waite Smith: read with it for over 30 years exclusively; part of my mental reading background.
Robin Wood: my second deck: 2 exclusive years, years and the time I learned to meditate and ground, using this deck.
The Minute Deck: the first deck that ever struck me as deeply humourous and witty; reads so well for me.
Baroque Bohemian Cats because it gave me so much insight into my work issues (still excellent, but then was when it shone for me)
The Noblet: the first TdM that I have ever genuinely liked visually and have gotten readings from(!!).
The Thoth: my love/hate deck but I think its images are burned into my brain and it has just become part of my reading background. Sometimes I am reading with another deck and the Thoth image of that card superimposes mentally and that is always correct for the querent.

Those 6 sort of stand alone for me, but I'll add 4 other decks that I found influential, to me and in my time.

Shining Tribe: I spent a long time with this one year, both by myself and with amyel. Amazingly insightful deck, reaches deep into the older layers of your psyche.
The Fey: another deck I used for a long time and found it could be harsh and revealing. The swords suit in this deck to me reveals a way of looking at swords that sometimes I suspect is closer to their real meaning than some prettier decks (not that the Fey isn't pretty).
The Crone: I hesitate here, because this deck is new. But, I have been using it as a conjunction to the Shadow Work spreads (for which I am using Robin Wood) and have found it shockingly revealing. Perhaps it is my physical age.
Gaian: a majors only deck, I use it often for personal daily throws. Maybe I just like the art, but there must be some reason as I am drawn to it again and again and have since I purchased it. I also like the ways she describes the cards on her web site.

Marion

Nina*

Mine are:

Noblet
Thoth (large early edition)
Universal Waite
De la Rea
Sidhe

These first five I can't imagine ever being removed from my list, the next five might...

Blue Rose
Celtic Dragon
Illuminated
Hanson Roberts
Medieval Scapini

jmd

Any list cannot be, as far as I'm concerned, adequate... but still, the exercise is useful. So here is my attempt (with the 'central' or key deck-types in gold).

Top five as outstanding examplar-types:
Visconti-types
'Marseille'-types (I and II) (including Besançon-type)
Vieville (including 'Bacchus' and lowland-types)
Paris
Bologna (including Schaffhouse-type)​
...but also due acknowledgement to modern renditions with the:
Etteilla 'Thoth' types
Wirth (and Papus) types
Falconnier
Waite-Smith
Crowley-Harris​

Aerin

My 'Desert Island Decks' list (and I need the books too) would be:

Fey
Bohemian Gothic
Minute
Hallowquest, with the big book
Tarot of Prague
Universal RWS
Victorian Romantic
Universal Marseilles, with the Lee B. book otherwise I won't take the deck
Minchiate Etruria, the Brian Williams so I can have the book
Animals Divine

And I might swap the Tarot of the Elves in at the last moment for the Universal RWS because I do really like it. If I took Mary Greer's books along then I could do without the RWS.

Aerin

ps I can acknowledge the Thoth as much as you like, but I don't want it on my island with me. It can go elsewhere.

roppo

my list :

Rider Waite Smith mini ... easy to use at full spread situation. My sole operational deck these twenty years.
Hoi Polloi ... very beautiful on the black cloth.
Sternenmadchens Wahrsagespiel Tarot ... my most beloved deck, yeah, groovy! It's 70's!
Aquarian ... simply impressive.
Vandenborre Bacchus ... Somehow I like Captain Fracass.
Tarot de Paris ... very interesting.
Soprafino ... great, isn't it?
Visconti Sforza ... who can ignore this?
Oswald Wirth ... the flower of the French occultism.
Ancient Tarot de Marseille ... standard.

Dean

My all time favourites for now

Crowley Thoth Tarot.

Golden Dawn Tarot.

Magickal Tarot.

Rohig Tarot.

Cosmic Tribe.

Ancient Egyptian Tarot.

Tarot of the Witches.

Tarot of the Marseilles.

Aquarian Tarot.

Rider Waite Tarot.

Dean

Elven

Ok - so 10?
I cant put them in any order though ...
the first two I dont even own yet (sigh)

Morgan Greer
Giger
Scapini
Thoth
Vieville
Midnight Masquerade
Connolly
RWS
MT T'dM
Chinese

Phew! :p