A new oracle card deck

dinah1

Hi I'm a new member and have created a simple new oracle deck from my art and design work. It's been an amazing experience as I had no idea that my paintings would culminate in something like this. Not sure if I should mention it or not but I have sent Solandia a deck to review (hopefully)...

Alta

Congratulations Dinah! It is lovely when something that you have worked on for a long time comes to fruition, you must be feeling quite pleased.

Is there any way that members here can see any of your art? or is there any information about the deck? Self-published? being sent to the various tarot publishing houses?

Best,
Alta

ETA: oops, I see that Dinah has a website where she shows the deck:

http://www.giveitagoguide.co.uk/wisecards/wisecards.html

Alta

I like the simple elegance of the cards. Sometimes I prefer a deck with just an idea represented and not a lot of detail.

Alta

dinah1

Hi Alta

Thanks for looking and commenting. I think the Wisecards are meant to be like an 'easy reader' to get people going on using their intuition. Probably too simple for Tarot fans.

I'm currently printing and laminating them, a rather slow and expensive process, but am trying to find out how to go about publishing through a proper publisher and am getting quotes to self-publish.

Decisions, decisions. But the WiseCards tell me there is a partner coming which suggests that I should try to get a publisher for them... (they don't trust me to do it myself, I keep getting the past mistakes card) - ho hum... nothing new there!

I have given test packs to people that have never before read cards, and they have all come back saying they are amazed at the accuracy on past and present lines and how much they enjoy using them - and the majority have gone on to buy them rather than give them back at the end of the trial.

I'm all agog to see what Solandia makes of them...

mysticmanth

Congratulations on the making of your deck...im thinking about making my own deck but im not very good at art at all so my drawings on them would be pretty rubbish!
What sort of stuff do you recommend attempting to draw/paint?
xxx

Chronata

Very nice Dinah!

I really like the simple archetypal images you have used!

I wish you great success with them!

dinah1

mysticmanth said:
...im thinking about making my own deck but im not very good at art at all so my drawings on them would be pretty rubbish!
What sort of stuff do you recommend attempting to draw/paint?
xxx

Thanks mysticmanth. If you are not happy with drawing you could try collage or even rolling and blotting wet paint to see what images come out and maybe highlight interesting shapes. I think the freer you are (ie no fixed idea on what you expect the final image to be) the more fun and interesting the images will be. Light a candle, grab a glass of wine and just play with whichever medium you choose!

The 'Turmoil' painting used in the WiseCards started out by accidentally spilling red wine on the canvas (oops!) and the picture grew from the shapes created by that!

I believe that anything goes in art and creation! None of the images in the WiseCards were planned in advance - they just evolved. Give it a go - just for the fun of it - and don't worry about results, you may be well surprised with what you produce. Good luck!

mysticmanth

Thanks for the advice there, i will give it a go sometime..just need to get some card and stuff to begin!!
Exciting stuff just hope the results turn out good x

Cactus

I took a look at your site - beautiful. I definitely like simplicity and beauty.

It must be so exciting yet challenging to start on something like this. If I could do what you do...Well, I'd be frustrated because right now I have a 5 and 3 year old to raise and with the constant interruptions it's a miracle I get to post something in it's entirety!

dinah1

Cactus said:
I took a look at your site - beautiful. I definitely like simplicity and beauty.

It must be so exciting yet challenging to start on something like this. If I could do what you do...Well, I'd be frustrated because right now I have a 5 and 3 year old to raise and with the constant interruptions it's a miracle I get to post something in it's entirety!

Thanks for kind comments Cactus - maybe when your kids are older you can do it - or hey I've had a genious thought! How about saving their artwork and using that? Great fun to try...

see new post http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1505134#post1505134