Ancient Italian Tarot

faunabay

emmsma said:
I kinda find the Hanged man's disembodied legs - 2 pairs of them! quite disturbing. De-enabled for the Genovese.

Sad about it. :p
That's me too! Kind of weird! eek!

Debra

I'm reading the book on tarot by Douglas (of the Sheridan-Douglas deck). He says these double-headed decks lose at least half their meaning!

Bernice

sapienza

The Gaudais does look interesting Bee. What I really love about the Genovese though is that it's got the soprafino images. And I'm not so worried about losing half of them because they are so familiar to me I can 'see' the rest of the image anyway.

I ordered myself a copy from Alida earlier today :) Thanks Le Fanu, for your brilliant enabling. :D I shouldn't ask this question, but you don't have any other of these little treasures you are waiting to enable me on do you? I think my bank balance has suffered enough for now. If you have any other surprises I need to be prepared, and start saving :laugh:

One more question, seeing we are on the topic of budgets, spending and general Italian deck madness (well, that just about sums up this whole thread really, doesn't it?), anyway, about the Il Meneghello Soprafino. How does it compare to the LS Classical and the Ancient Italian? I know it's finer than the Ancient Italian, but is it worth the expense? For me, with exchange rates and postage it's a pretty steep investment so I'd love to hear some thoughts from those who have both. I'm thinking it might make a nice birthday present for me from my husband. Mind you, my birthday isn't until December so given that it's a limited edition, is there any chance it could be all gone by then? I guess if it is then I'm not meant to have it.

OK, I'm off to spend some time with my Ancient Italian, which is what this thread is about after all ;)

Le Fanu

Debra said:
I'm reading the book on tarot by Douglas (of the Sheridan-Douglas deck). He says these double-headed decks lose at least half their meaning!

When the faces are as expressive as those in Soprafino decks, these double-headed decks have their meaning multiplied by two. Hanged Man excepted of course (I rather like those wierdly disembodied legs!)

I don't think I believe Mr Douglas on this one. Otherwise, by extension, I suppose mini decks would have their meaning diminished, and the Giant RWS would be the only RWS to read with as it would amplify meaning...

Le Fanu

sapienza said:
...about the Il Meneghello Soprafino. How does it compare to the LS Classical and the Ancient Italian?

I shall exercise all my force here to keep my mouth shut. You know what I think about this one and I don't want to bankrupt you...

I don't know if I could sleep at night knowing Ive bankrupted someone Ive never even met!

sapienza

:laugh: Don't feel bad. I'm not planning to get it tomorrow, unless of course there is a chance it will soon be unavailable :bugeyed: I've always planned to get ONE of them, I considered the Vacchetta, then thought perhaps the Minchiate Etruria, but now I'm thinking the Soprafino could be the one to buy.

Seriously though Le Fanu, I take full responsibility for my obsessive deck buying and I genuinely thank you for all your help. I mean that. When I first came across these decks I had no idea where to start and your advice has been a great help.

So.....talk to me about the Il Meneghello Soprafino :D

faunabay

Now for the ongoing saga of faunabay trying to get an Ancient Italian......................... :rolleyes:

**ROFL**

I just talked on the phone to the store where I tried (for the 4th time) to order the AT. Now at least this time I will get it. :p But.............they're in the progess of moving their store. So he apologized profusely but says they're very behind with the shipping out of orders. Alot of their stock is still in storage from the move. And it will probably be another 2 weeks before it even ships out!! :bugeyed:

(faunabay literally falls over laughing)

faunabay

Debra said:
ROFLMAO!!!!! Of course they lose half their meaning.....it's only half the picture!

(walks off giggling)

emmsma

Geez Louise, Faunabay! This had better become your lifetime fave deck, for all the work its been to get ahold of it.

And can anyone tell me where the Sola Busca (Illuminating Ancient)Tarot falls into all these decks?

Just arrived today - Train trade. Loving it!