Liber Legis

Macavity

Well, here's a quick 'n' easy work out for those so inclined? <mostly joking> })

http://members.fortunecity.com/patrickm/liberp.htm

I don't know whether this is "true" but it seems to illustrate some of the techniques one might use on such material? I think it might be fun to play around with some of these sundry Hebrew Alphabet games to get the idea? Who knows what you'll come up with? I had also been e.g. puzzled by some of Crowley's Egyptian (Pantheon) names! This site e.g. usefully points out that they were likely obtained from the Wallis Budge translations, which, although perhaps out of favour with modern Egyptologists, were very much at the cutting edge when Crowley was a lad? :)

Macavity

isthmus nekoi

Thanks for the link, Macavity!

Oh yes, and if people are willing to discuss, I'd love to. Just the incredible power and pressure of the astrological transits Crowley was under when he 'wrote' LL is just......... when I saw that, that's when I believed that he wasn't totally exaggerating when he wrote that he channeled the whole text...... yes, yes, I'd love to talk about all this in conjunction w/the Thoth deck.

Kiama

Well, seems like there's a lot of interest here. :D Go on then, let's give it a go...! I'll have to track down a copy of Liber Legis first however... *Goes hunting* I'm sure it's own the net somewhere...

I suppose we should start at the beginning, with Chapter 1? There are only 3 chapters, one spoken by Nuit, (Chapter 1), and the last two spoken by male Gods (can't remember their names!) Maybe one was Osiris, and the other Ra? Or was there Horus in there somewhere... I think Horus was the Last (3rd) chapter...

Kiama

Kiama

Thanks for the link to Liber Legis, Isthmus!

Now, how do we go about discussing it in relation to the Thoth deck? Should we do one chapter per thread, and just see where it takes us? I think it would be a little difficult doing it card-by-card, because not all cards are found explicitly in the text.

Kiama

isthmus nekoi

I think if we base discussion on the cards, it would be most on topic. If I recall correctly, The Hermit, The Hierophant (grade of the lover) and The Tower (grade of the man of earth) relate germantically (is that a word lol) to Thelema. Strength and The Aeon are also good places to start. Esp the Aeon for obvious reasons.

If we go chapter by chapter, we'll fly off on a lot of tangents. But most of them would be worth flying for I'd reckon!

yinpox

My father used to study karate and each time he wanted to test for a new belt (the next grades initiation) he had to pay for the test. How else is the dojo, lodge, going to keep the lights on?
In THE COMMENT after the text of liber al it states "All questions of the law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself." Telling people to make up there own mind does not sound very "cultish" to me.