The rose in center of thoth 6 of disks

mtnmermaid

Does anyone know what it's supposed to symbolize? To me the whole card looks like a giant unfolding flower but the rose in the center especially jumps out.

thinbuddha

That card has imagery of the rose cross (as do the backs of the cards). The rose cross.

from http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefsrosecross.htm :
The esoteric meaning of the cross is quite similar to the original; the cross symbolizes the material plane, and the cycle of death and rebirth. The rose represents the unfolding nature of spiritual growth. When the equal armed cross is employed, it has a secret significance: the word lux, or light, can be found hidden in its arms.

In the Golden Dawn, the rose also functioned as a device for creating sigils, with twenty two petals representing the letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

wizzle

Duquette says this rose of 49 petals symbolizes the Sun and is a reference back to Tipareth.

Aeon418

wizzle said:
Duquette says this rose of 49 petals symbolizes the Sun and is a reference back to Tipareth.
The rose has 49 petals, that's 7x7, indicating the influence of Netzach on the Solar rose of Tiphareth. I think Crowley used that particular rose because it ties in with the astrological attribution and transient nature of the Moon in Taurus.

Overall the 6 of Disks is a good card, but it won't last forever. Make hay while the sun shines and all that sort of stuff.

wizzle

I also noticed that 49 is 7 squared, but am not so certain about Netzach's influence. Perhaps it is more secondary. The card itself shows the other six planets around the solar rose, so it's possible the influence of 7 comes in more via the 7 planets than Netzach per se. This is a picture of the old solar system. With the "solar system" arrangement, I'm inclined to refer to Chockmah as well, via the zodiac. Can't have too many layers of meaning, eh? Maybe Crowley is also saying, with the 49 petals, that we are past the old solar view.

Aeon418

It's clear in The Book of Thoth that Crowley is hinting at something to do with 49 and 7x7. My first thoughts were the spirit of Venus. Maybe Crowley wanted to underscore the symbolism of the Solar-phallic cross and the Rose of Venus as it is a symbol of the Great Work.
This Sun is idolized as the Rose and Cross; the Rose has forty-nine petals, the interplay of the Seven with the Seven.

mtnmermaid

Thanks! I like the idea of the unfolding nature of spiritual growth there.

tink27

Rose on cross

These are ideas from my studies.

The center of the cross is when we are deep in our hearts we are in the red rose of pure silence. The most deepest part of our being.

The center of the cross could also been known as the 'bleeding heart'. It is where we spin out into life and into Experience, seeing how much we can get. What happens is we are pulled out into life in four directions that oppose each other - what happens? We get a bleeding heart.

The ego is the flipside of the heart. We try and get out, doing things, making things happen and often it takes us away (temporarily) from our peace, from our heart.

4 quarters of the cross is a mixture of the subjective and objective worlds - half is putting things out - half is putting things in. They meet at the Rose, the center.

tink