Thoth Newbie

blackadder

I've just got my Thoth deck and was wondering a few things. First, how do you guys shuffle this deck? LOL It seems my hands are too small for it and I keep dropping a bunch of cards. Secondly, are there any good books out there that will help me understand the Thoth better?

ravenest

blackadder said:
I've just got my Thoth deck and was wondering a few things. First, how do you guys shuffle this deck? LOL It seems my hands are too small for it and I keep dropping a bunch of cards.

Hi Blackadder, yep, thats what happens at first (I assume you got the big cards or are your hands REALLY small?) Don't worry you will get used to it. I used to (and still tell people I am reading for if they are having difficulty) just to spread them out on the table and smear them around. Also make little piles and join them together, multiple cuts and restacking. if you can, split the deck in 2 and flick them together (easy with a big deck). The important thing is that they are mixed up 'randomly'. Just introduce a random process and Hru will sort it for you.

blackadder said:
Secondly, are there any good books out there that will help me understand the Thoth better?

There is quiet a few, whatever you get I'd suggest that Crowleys Book of Thoth is one of the essentials. Also try to get an understanding of Crowleys magical / philosophy / religion from some of his own books and that will help you to understand a lot of what is going on in deck and what is talked about in Book of Thoth.

Dean

Uk

blackadder said:
I've just got my Thoth deck and was wondering are there any good books out there that will help me understand the Thoth better?

Hi
Well i think there was a thread posted recently on which best Thoth books to start from, myself i did start from the book of Thoth which to be honest made me even more confused, so i was given a book called Tarot mirror of the Soul, by Gerd Ziegler which did explain about the pictures on the cards and gave a fair description with each card meanings.

Since then i've got other books on the Thoth and another good one i found was The Crowley Tarot, by Akron Hajo Banzhaf, which is good to gain more knowledge about the interpretions, hope this helps.

Aeon418

blackadder said:
I've just got my Thoth deck and was wondering a few things. First, how do you guys shuffle this deck? LOL It seems my hands are too small for it and I keep dropping a bunch of cards.
Hold the deck in a cupped hand and shuffle the cards while holding the sides. With a normal size deck you can hold the top and bottom edges, not so with the large Thoth, unless you've got huge hands.

Also there's no rule that says you have to shuffle the cards at a million miles an hour. Shuffling the cards slowly and with full attention is just as effective.
blackadder said:
Secondly, are there any good books out there that will help me understand the Thoth better?
That depends on what you mean by "understand". Do you want to learn divinatory meanings for use in readings? Then the books by Gerd Ziegler and Hajo Banzhaf are probably what you are after. Those authors give you their own interpretations of the cards along with their own understanding of the cards meanings.

If you want to understand the esoteric meaning of the imagery then Lon Milo DuQuette and Crowley are the guys to go to.

Dwaas

blackadder said:

I have the same problem with the big cards, so what I did is buy also another size of this deck. For study and clarification: use the big deck, for shuffling and readings, use the smaller one. Thoth decks are not that expensive and a smaller sized deck also comes more handy when taking it with you in a handbag or even a pocket if you buy the smallest version.
Blessings

AbstractConcept

I also reccomend Liber Al vel Legis (The Book Of The Law), and maybe the Vision & The Voice by Crowley to fully appreciate the imagery and themes of the cards.

thinbuddha

I'll leave the shuffling to you- you will figure out the best way for your hands.

But the best book to start (to me, this is a prerequisite to the Book of Thoth) is Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette. The BoT is just too confusing a place to start...... Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot is too incomplete a place to stop..... read them both.

ZenMusic

Abstract. can you give some idea of what's in the BOL and Vision books that apply to reading the Thoth deck?
thanks

AbstractConcept

ZenMusic said:
Abstract. can you give some idea of what's in the BOL and Vision books that apply to reading the Thoth deck?
thanks
Well the Thoth tarot is Crowley's Thelemic interpretation of the tarot, using the deities, ideology etc of Thelema and the Aeon of Horus, as opposed to the traditional Judeo-Christian deck. So the BOL has everything to do with the cards. The Vision & The Voice... I think I was a bit hasty to reccomend that one. Some of the cards are graphical representations of the visions AC experienced while exploring the Enochian aethyrs. so that'd be a more of a book to read to give the cards a tad more depth (as if they dont have enough already!).

Aeon418

ZenMusic said:
can you give some idea of what's in the BOL and Vision books that apply to reading the Thoth deck?
The Book of the Law and Liber 418: The Vision and the Voice are the key works of the Thelemic canon and the basis for the spiritual philosophy that influenced the creation of the Thoth Tarot. A Basic understanding of these texts helps you to understand the main differences between the Thoth deck and other decks that are based on Judeo-Christian ideas, such as Rider-Waite.

Some of these differences are reflected in the cards themselves. The most notable examples being XI Lust (old Strength) and XX The Aeon (old Judgement). These two cards represent radical departures from the traditional designs and reflect the Thelemic philosophy.

The old image of Strength had a woman either opening or closing a lion's mouth. The main theme behind this image is the control of those forces represented by the Lion. It's almost saying that the passion and energy of the Lion has to be controlled and maybe even surpressed. According to the Judeo-Christian thelogy, passion is bad and linked to the negative concepts of sin, guilt, and temptation. (This card is attributed to the letter Teth ~ Serpent ;))
Not so in the new Lust card where we have the Whore of Babylon riding upon the Beast. (The bad guys of the Bible are the Holy Mysteries of Thelema.)

Crowley's own words on this card:
Lust implies not only strength, but the joy of strength exercised. It is vigour, and the rapture of vigour.
Christianity (and many other religions) tells us that passion is sinful and wicked. Thelema says passion is both natural and healthy. In fact it is the joyous force of life itself. Enjoy the ride, but keep one hand on the reins. Love is the law, love under will ;)

The old card of Judgement represents the resurrection and judgement of the dead depicted in the Book of Revelations.The emphasis in this card is very much on the past and judgement of what has gone before.
The Aeon is the next step after the Judgement card. The focus in this card is the "next step". The past is done and dusted, so forget it. The next step is all that is important. This change in emphasis is very important and alters the meaning of the card. This concept is easier to understand when viewed in the context of Crowley's thoughts on the New Aeon and the consequent end of religions and philosphies that rely on Judgement and punshiment for "sins".

The Devil is another card that reflects this transition from Judeo-Christian repression, to a more healthy and enlightened view. In many decks the Devil is a pretty negative card. It carries all the Judeo-Christian baggage of sin and guilt with it. These old religions taught that the body and the pleasures of the flesh were evil and had to be shunned. They were temptations of the Devil sent to lead you away from God. This negative and repressive out look on natural drives is now known to lead to violence, self destructive behaviour patterns, and feelings of guilt and shame.
Surely a more healthy view is to see natural drives as just that, natural. Repression leads to neurosis and the guilt complex. This is not just a freedom of the body, but a freedom of the mind. Note the third eye on the Devil. ;)
In many respects, no doubt, the Law of Thelema is revolutionary. It insists on the absolute sovereignty of the individual within the limits of his proper function. And this principle will be resented by all those who like to interfere with other people's business. The battle will rage most fiercely around the question of sex. Hardly any one is willing to allow others their freedom on this point. Sometimes it is a personal matter; false vanity makes men try to enslave those whom they desire. They cannot understand "There is no bond that can unite the divided but love: ... ", and they outrage others in every way in order to obtain the outward show of affection. It is the most hideous error conceivable, yet nearly all men make it, and nine tenths of the misery caused by wrong sexual relations is due to this determination to enslave the soul of another. It seems impossible to make men see what to me is obvious; that the only love worth having or indeed worthy of the name is the spontaneous sympathy of a free soul. Social conventions which trammel love are either extensions of this stupid selfishness, or expressions of the almost universal shame which results from false ideas on the subject. Mankind must learn that the sexual instinct is in its true nature ennobling. The shocking evils which we all deplore are principally due to the perversion produced by suppressions. The feeling that it is shameful and the sense of sin cause concealment, which is ignoble, and internal conflict which creates distortion, neurosis, and ends in explosion. We deliberately produce an abscess, and wonder why it is full of pus, why it hurts, why it bursts in stench and corruption. When other physical appetites are treated in this way, we find the same phenomenon. Persuade a man that hunger is wicked, prevent him satisfying it by eating whatever food suits him best, and he soon becomes a crazy and dangerous brute. Murder, robbery, sedition and many meaner crimes come of the suppression of the bodily need for nourishment.

The Book of the Law solves the sexual problem completely. Each individual has an absolute right to satisfy his sexual instinct as is physiologically proper for him. The one injunction is to treat all such acts as sacraments. One should not eat as the brutes, but in order to enable one to do one's will. The same applies to sex. We must use every faculty to further the one object of our existence.

The sexual instinct thus freed from its bonds will no more be liable to assume monstrous shapes. Perversion will become as rare as the freaks in a dime museum.

The Confessions of Aleister Crowley
I hope that helps you to understand why knowledge of Thelema is important when interpreting the Thoth Tarot.