7 Coupes - How may it be read?

BrightEye

I'm having a hard time reading this card and it's one of the few not covered in the 'how may it be read' threads.

I think the key - for me at least - is the central cup that is singled out and surrounded by heart-shaped foliage.

Anyone?

KariRoad

Hello BrightEye, and Thanks for this question!
I visualise the central Coupe, at the bottom, as being "generative" of the rising central Coupes, thus manifesting Seven within four. In a reading, my focus is on the visionary nature of Seven, and with Coupes, the life force of 3 as resurgent, like a fountain of inspiration.

Here illustrated, with other possible variations:
SevenCupsPattern.jpg

BrightEye

KariRoad said:
In a reading, my focus is on the visionary nature of Seven, and with Coupes, the life force of 3 as resurgent, like a fountain of inspiration.
I don't understand...

jane76

7 of cups i relate to choices,i have the mythic tarot deck and this is what ive been taught,its decisions but be careful what u choose cuz all that glitters isnt gold
thanks

Moonbow

Hi BrightEye, its really good to see these threads continued, thanks for taking the step.

For ease of looking at the card in question I am posting the 7 of Cups from the Classic so that we can all see the special emphasis shown to the central cup:

24433641.jpg

When we think of the number seven spiritual aspects come into play, realisation, especially personal realisation, as though one suddenly knows what to do and how to sort out feelings. It could represent a re-assessing of oneself, an inner overhaul if you like.

Rasa

Normally I interpret 7's as expansiveness, myriad of choices/opportunities/possibilities etc. and I think of the the cups as being about the emotions. So, the 7 of cups is 'traditionally' to me about daydreams, hopes, fears, and projections, born of emotion.

but, just looking at the Marseilles 7 of cups visually, I could see other things, too... which is why I love pips so much!!

That cup in the centre seems 'on display' to me.. so meanings might hinge around a prize, a performance, or someone being the centre of attention, or something receiving a lot of focus; singled out amongst others.

The shape of the vines also suggests a lyre to me, so maybe something about creativity, expression, beauty, or elegance.

If I look at it another way, those vines are like antlers protruding from the bottom cup. Wildness, impulse, ruggedness, nature?

What if I combine all those...?
There is an 'antlered' cup displaying another cup, inside of a harp.
This could mean that someone is getting a lot of attention(the central cup), because they appear to be the picture of charm and sophistication(the lyre); however the reason for this appearance is the contrast to someone else who is much more crude and brutish near them(the antlers). Perhaps their merits are exaggerated next to someone else's faults.. or maybe the other way, too; someone's faults are exaggerated next to another's strengths.

I am also looking at that top, central cup.. it appears to me that it could drop down at any moment to take the place of that one that is currently so prominantly displayed in the centre.
Whatever is on centre-stage in one's life, now, could be replaced just like that.
(This bit seems more apparent in the Dodal image that I'm looking at, where there are no leaf curlicues between those two central cups, and also there are little kind of 'pincers' coming up underneath the main cup, which threaten to nibble away at its base.)

Bernice

I've been playing around with the pips from a math angle, and the 7s are Prime and Happy (numbers). I've attributed Primes with a quality of "self determination", and Happy numbers as being 'focussed'.

Happy Numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_number

For the Cups suit = Subjective. (including instinctive response(s)).

So 7 Coupes (at the moment), depending on the question &/or accompanying cards;
A conclusion or conviction.
Solution/serendipity.
Fixation or obsession.
Possibly = A magical working.

Still early days yet, so I might come up with some other (or further) meaning for this card.

Bee :)

KariRoad

Thanks, Bee! I was also developing some ideas

CoupesSEVENvisual.jpg

But equally, we might consider how the other "foliated" Copues are configured

CoupesFoliage.jpg

How then best to interpret (or read) the various cards in terms of "foliage" and geometric patterns? And in the case of VII Coupes, is there a significant emphasis given?

Moonbow

Any other opinions on the seven of Coupes?

Bernice

KariRoad: How then best to interpret (or read) the various cards in terms of "foliage" and geometric patterns? And in the case of VII Coupes, is there a significant emphasis given?
Thank you KariRoad.

I think this question might be useful for those who wish to read the pip cards 'visually', as it currently seems to be a popular approach. The thread, Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal uses this approach with the marseill Dodal deck.

But as the early pip & court cards were actually playing cards, I suspect that divining with them in those times, may have been more along cartomantic lines. But any (personal) method that yields results is valid because the meanings arn't set in stone.

In a previous astrological method I tried, this card meant = Relationship. Emotional bond. Marriage.

Bee :)