A Common Quirk?

Grizabella

I don't know if this is what you mean, but for me it's card stock and card size. If the card stock is right and the size is right, then all's okay in my world. If the cards are too big and the card stock is too cardboard-y and thick----forget it. I just won't ever be able to really use the deck no matter how much I love it for its art and eloquence. I also like slick card stock. Riffling a deck over and over again is almost meditative to me.

An exception to that for me has been the Tea Leaf Oracle. It was love at first sight/feel for me even though there's no way I could ever riffle 200 round cards----or even if they weren't round, for that matter.

Carla

When I receive a new deck, I check over and over that all the cards are there. If they are not in order when I get the deck, I put them in order, then do the checking. Even though I just put them in order. Then I have to lay them out on the floor in order. A deck usually covers the entire available space in my living room floor. But I have to do it. I don't do this laying out ritual just once, either. With a new deck, I will usually do this every day for a week or so after I get the deck.

I go through the same rituals when I get a deck out that I haven't used in a long time. Put it in order, lay it out on the floor. Riffle it like mad, put it in order again, lay it out on the floor.

Should I be confessing these things here? :)

SunChariot

I have realized that after many many decks have passed through my hands, that I have a weird little quirk.

When I look through a deck for the first time...they HAVE to be in order.

And if they are not, I get distracted, and don't take to the deck right away at all.
Sometimes for years!
oh...and forget it if there are cards that are reversed!

It's like my brain has to see them in some semblance of order or I don't want to deal with thumbing through them at all.

It's almost like I don't really see them....

The order doesn't have to perfectly numerical...it can be backwards, of have the aces appear at the end of the suits...but it has to be some kind of order!

It annoys me greatly if a new deck, fresh out of the package is randomly mixed!

Am I alone in this?

And do you have a weird little quirk when it comes to tarot?

I am sure we all have some. :grin:

The only thing that would bother me if I got a deck sealed that was out of order is that it would scare me there might be a card missing. As normally cards do come in order, if they were careless with that....maybe they might have been in other areas too. That would make me rush and reorder the cards FAST or I could not relax until i was sure all were there.

If they were I would relax and things would be back to normal. Since I am a big believer that things always happen for a reason in life, I would likely then stop and try to figure our what the message was for me in it. And that would make the deck special to me once it did. because it came with a message for me even before I used it for the first time.

But to answer your question my quirks are I guess....I am very funny about anyone touching my decks. I feel like if anyone touched one of my decks I would never want to use it again, especially someone who was not of a spiritual mindframe.

I also really cannot read when the querent is anywhere near me. Throws me off completley, just cannot be done. I was born to be a remote reader.

I defintely feel I need to wash my hands before I touch one of my decks. I can't relax unless I do it first.

Babds

Trogon

Well, if it were a new deck and out of order, as others have said, my concern would be missing cards - so I would put it in order to make sure. Otherwise not so much.

I do have one little quirk with a new deck. I like to smell them when I first pull out the cards. I pull the deck out of the box, put it right under my nose and take a deep whiff. I LOVE the smell of a new deck. And yes, different publishers and printers decks have different smells. :rolleyes:

poopsie

In my case, i always assume they are in order because i purchase new decks. i haven't encountered decks that were not in order if i bought them new. I would assume havng the right order is a major standard that card publishers follow. so if by chance i do get a new deck and find put it's mixed, i would misconstrue it that the vendor is pulling some kind or scam -- selling old or re-used decks and passing them off as new.

Grizabella

I just thought of another one for me. I don't ever re-order my decks, but I do count them every so often. I'll count them out in 10's, putting the stacks of ten cards out side-by-side to be sure all 78 are there.

Rhinemaiden

Oh, yes.... with new decks, I'm a deck sorter, too...first majors, then cups, coins, wands, swords. Decks in my daily basket aren't re-sorted until they're ready to go back in the box and into storage. Oh, one other quirk... when storing decks, I put the LWB between The World and Ace of Cups. Separates the majors from the minors. ;)

VGimlet

I usually put them in order when I get them (especally used decks) and then when I finish my week of reading with them I put them back in order before I put them away.

Decks I use a lot I don't put back in order, I like them well-mixed. :D

dawntarot

But to answer your question my quirks are I guess....I am very funny about anyone touching my decks. I feel like if anyone touched one of my decks I would never want to use it again, especially someone who was not of a spiritual mindframe.

I also really cannot read when the querent is anywhere near me. Throws me off completley, just cannot be done. I was born to be a remote reader.

Oh thank god. I thought this was just me!! :D

Pens

poopsie

Come to think of it, i also feel thr same way ... i don't like others touching my dcks. i don't mind them choosing or drawing cards during a reading - but touching the entire deck and fingering them as they look at each card - i don't feel comfortable. i don't dislike the dck but i do feel i need to find a way to cleanse them of the other person's raw energies.