If for the last time you're to suggest only one deck to all ATers, which would it be?

FLizarraga

Sorry --no can do. :D

I cannot do less than three. The RWS and the Thoth -- the two foundational decks of our time. And the Visconti Sforza, the first Tarot deck as we know it, the one that started it all. Everything else is derivative or tangent.

manandcards

I'm with Trionfi Della Luna - let go of the images - let yourself breath.

delizt

Only one?!

You just broke my brain....*cries*

My brain broke after i heard the news of this amazing forum closing its doors...

one deck?...my brain is hurting more...

but I suppose Id recommend the RWS, Centennial edition or a pre-1970 copyright edition

MizGrace

Straight to the point The Original Rider Waite.
why? colorful lots of imagery so easy for a beginner or anyone wanting to learn the meanings behind each card. Easy to see what is happening in each card.

Grizabella

Well, for learning purposes for new people, I'd say Rider Waite because it's such a basic, standard deck.

I hate to recommend any one other deck in reality because there have been sooooo many talented artists here creating decks. But one I do have to mention that I'd recommend to someone who doesn't like the RWS is the Bonefire. Gabi sent me a copy of the first edition a few years ago and it almost literally saved my life. I don't get suicidal, but if I did, that time period was probably fairly close. I was going to leave AT, I had raised my grandchildren and could only manage to afford to live in a loaned (and leaky) old motorhome in such an unsavory campground that I slept with a gun next to me. I had lost Nonny Mouse, couldn't enter the Trade forum (even though I needed to in order to check up to be sure my trades had been made right---they were, I found out by other means, thank god) and I only had a little tiny cell phone (not a smart phone) to access AT with. I had just been lying on my bed in that really low place when the mailman knocked and the package was from Gabi with a deck she had given me. That truly was a huge rescue for me emotionally and it's my most dear deck to read with to this day. I don't use the first one anymore because the second edition is easier to use and it's glossy, which I love.

FLizarraga

Well, for learning purposes for new people, I'd say Rider Waite because it's such a basic, standard deck.

I hate to recommend any one other deck in reality because there have been sooooo many talented artists here creating decks. But one I do have to mention that I'd recommend to someone who doesn't like the RWS is the Bonefire. Gabi sent me a copy of the first edition a few years ago and it almost literally saved my life. I don't get suicidal, but if I did, that time period was probably fairly close. I was going to leave AT, I had raised my grandchildren and could only manage to afford to live in a loaned (and leaky) old motorhome in such an unsavory campground that I slept with a gun next to me. I had lost Nonny Mouse, couldn't enter the Trade forum (even though I needed to in order to check up to be sure my trades had been made right---they were, I found out by other means, thank god) and I only had a little tiny cell phone (not a smart phone) to access AT with. I had just been lying on my bed in that really low place when the mailman knocked and the package was from Gabi with a deck she had given me. That truly was a huge rescue for me emotionally and it's my most dear deck to read with to this day. I don't use the first one anymore because the second edition is easier to use and it's glossy, which I love.

:heart:

Carojulie

Waow I understand why you have a strong bond with this deck ! I am sorry that you had to go through all that. But I am glad you received an unexpected pick-me-up present that helped rescue you.

SixDegrees

The Victorian Romantic.

velvetina

oh Lordy

one final suggestion?

I'd have to say then get a Marseilles (the Madenie is lovely, there's a nice cheap version by Mary Packard if you can't afford the other) and begin to invent your very own tradition.

Look through the Major Arcana and decide what the archetypes mean for you. Decide upon the characters of the Court Cards; who do you think they are? What do numbers mean to you? And the 4 suits - how do you differentiate between them?

Start tarot over, just for yourself.