2 Coupes - how may it be read?

jmd

If there is any doubt as to the contents of the Ace of Cups, this next one is clear: the content is of a red substance.

In a reading, I tend to at times see this card as depicting two separate parts of what is really one. Even the card itself shows that though we may each have two main parts to our name, we are one... I mention this as this card often also has the name of the artist/maker on its bottom panel: the personal first or given name, and the familial or 'clan' name.

Similarly, there is then a joining into one from the two disparate parts between two individuals: their unity brings back together that which is otherwise in search of the other. The card may at times therefore indicate coming together of two lovers.

The twos I often see as balance, and hence may also consider or see that what is here called for is a balancing of either emotions (if Cups are perceived as denoting emotions), or balancing what may at first display itself as separation of two complementary orientations.

The cup is itself but a vessel... and without its content (the red liquid) it but dead matter. Its own balancing must also be such that only in its upright position may its liquid be preserved... yet even this is useless, for it is in its tipping and imbibing that it serves its purpose.

The two Cups thus need to not only show a balancing each with their own liquid, but also a willingness to let go and spill into an appropriate living recepticle (the drinker) its contents.

Very much, then, also a card which may signify sacrifice for another.

Attached are versions of the Conver and the Dodal Marseilles, and the Blanche (a Besançon deck).

Attachments

• Besançon 2 C.jpg
    Besançon 2 C.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Dodal 2 C.jpg
    Dodal 2 C.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Conver 2 C.jpg
    Conver 2 C.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 195

firemaiden

Fascinating, jmd, it is delightful to finally have here your take on reading this card.

I am interested in the fanciful flower and creatures (dragons?) arising from the two cups, or "between" the two cups. It almost seems to illustrate the intensity of the energy generated between the two cups.. a sort of fanciful "chemistry" perhaps, capable of engendering something quite extraordinary?

Moonbow

This is a card of balance and mingling of opposites and to me denotes Love more than any other emotion (whether of a person or something else). I see the fountain as a fountain of love where each side pours part of themselves into the other to become one. It's as though you have found an outlet for all of your feelings.

But the cups are also separate so there is a loneliness until the two sides come together. You could almost see the cups themselves as the physical and the water/liquid as the soul. Two souls can be joined but will remain empty until the physical joining takes place.

tmgrl2

If the one has the notion of "me, " the two is the notion of "other." With the cups, then we have a merging on the affective level. Before one can, however, be of value to the other, to create a true "relationship" of balance, one must first know oneself.

So, I see the two of cups as working not because one completes the other, but because each brings something/someone whole to the duality. The idea of completion of what is missing within us is negated by this powerful card that tells me that only through knowing myself, and being solid unto myself, am I ready for the union with another.

Thus the heart and soul evolve through joining, but only when each can stand alone.

I am reminded of Kahlil Gibran who speaks on marriage:

...let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cups but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

Always one of my favorites, since it holds the concepts of my beliefs about the cups of love and the duality and fusion that works only when each can stand alone.

2 +2 +2 +2 = 8 La Justice...harmony and balance but only if both sides are equal....are whole as each stands alone.

terri

Sophie

tmgrl,
I love that Gibran verse you quoted! I read it at my sister's wedding. Unfortunately it didn't work :(. They are still together, with no plans to separate, but as opposed as two might be. And so that is the II de Coupes as well, for me: opposition, disagreement, but inability to separate, to become two "ones" again. "Can't live together, can't live apart". The red in the cups then becomes bad blood, growing resentment, blame, heavy emotion, pain - and to take up jean-michel's idea, an inability to sacrifice anything of value for the other, while thinking all the time that life is one big sacrifice for the other.

At best, the two cups integrate, surmount the difference, reach out to the Other, sublimate the pain of their separateness, while accepting it. It is a meeting of minds, spirits and bodies. I love firemaiden's idea of the the fanciful flower and creatures (dragons?) arising from the two cups, or "between" the two cups. It almost seems to illustrate the intensity of the energy generated between the two cups.. a sort of fanciful "chemistry" perhaps, capable of engendering something quite extraordinary.

Even the various meanings of that card are opposed!

Duality hits us...

tmgrl2

Helvetica...I, too, see the two's as both collaboration and/or conflict!

Ironically, the passage from Gibran does fit my second marriage. We have been married for almost 28 years and what has really made it work, is the each of us is separate ...we are really quite different in so many ways, yet we have managed to celebrate the differences.

I, too, see many people who stay together, yet are separate, but in the negative sense.

We love and enjoy each other, but each of us has many things we do that does not involve the other....

So the two's open many doors to interpretation, I agree.

terri

Little Baron

This card is really interesting to me. I always thought of the '2 Coupes' of being about a happy union; a coming together; a mutual attraction. Looking at this card tonight, it seems so different. The two fish like creatures at the top seem like they are arching back to get away from each other, as if the flower in the middle is not enough to seperate them. The two cups are seperated, also. There doesn't seem to be enough space in the card for the characters and objects here.

I think that reading it tonight, I would say that people need some time by theirselves; are in a relationship with a friend or lover that is a little claustraphobic, that some space is required. Possitively, I would say that maybe someone is coming into your life, but not to lose sight of who you are. It could also indicate someone who is to become 'part' of you; share your life blood; become an equal; maybe the father/mother of your child (the flower).

Yabs

Sophie

Yabs
you have expressed exactly the "dichotomy of duality". It is from those we are in closest connection we most need to get away from sometimes; it is with them we have our fiercest disagreements and heaviest tensions. As well as the most ecstatic union.

Two attract and repel. It's a physical, metaphysical and emotional law.