3 Deniers (Coins) - how may it be read?

jmd

The three Deniers is the first in the series that shows itself to have a definite upright - yet which is it?

The floral additions seem to suggest that the top large-ish heart makes for the uprightness the three coins as an upward-pointing equilateral triangle, and certainly the woodcut mold from the Conver, in the context of the other cards thereon carved, suggests the same.

Yet in each case, what we have is the preference of either carver, illustrator, or viewer. Why do so many of us tend to prefer to see this as an upward pointing triangle when upright?

In many ways, I personally also like the single Coin being depicted below the other two - a hint that from the heights there is a descent into matter. Instead, with the single coin above, what seems to be suggested is the need to raise, to increase, that from which one begins.

As three I often associate with communication, I tend to also see the three of Coins at times hinting at investment, or transfer of funds for one purpose to another. Certainly not a static card.

The single Coin within the heart-shaped floral parts may also indicate to not hesitate to place some (not the greater portion) of one's resources into something that one may be passionate about...

Attached is the Conver, both as woodcut and as finished product.

Attachments

• 3 D Conver.jpg
    3 D Conver.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 3 D Conver Woodcut.jpg
    3 D Conver Woodcut.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 197

firemaiden

Oh no... it's happened... firemaiden goes off the wall again... heeeeeeelp!

I...just can't help it.. these things turn into images. Is it my fault if the brain insists on connecting the dots?

But, but, but, don't you see it?--It's a woman, seated in lotus position, her arms over her head in a sinewy dance.

The top pentacle is her head, the heart-shaped vines are her arms, the flowers her hands, the lower curve of vines are her legs, in lotus position, and the flowers her crossed feet...

Woman or no woman, there is a lot of sinewy momement here, I am thinking of the dancers of India, with their delicate hands that turn in and around like vines...those little bells that clang...or.. is it.. help! it's turning into Shiva, the lord of the Dance!!

Oh humour me, do... look at these pictures --

dancers hands in the form of these flowers

...but what does it mean? she wails...

Dance is the marriage of music, movement and form, it is the harmonious blending of matter, time, and spirit...

Sophie

firemaiden said:
Dance is the marriage of music, movement and form, it is the harmonious blending of matter, time, and spirit...

And above all very physical. Possibly with marble carving, dance is the art form that demands the greatest physical training and precision (not discounting your own art form, firemaiden, which I know from friends to be physically demanding). So entirely appropriate to coins. Three could mean a physical expansion out of the dualities of the two (matter and spirit?) that will lead to spiritual expansion - again, taking dance as a way from the physical to the spiritual.

But firemaiden- what are the deniers on either side? bulging pantaloons, her tips or exceptionally large hips? :p

jmd- follwing up your idea of investing into something we love, it could mean investment into art, no? As this is such a very evocative, artistic card! The woodcut too is beautiful. Either physical investment, investment in time, or money (as in becoming a patron). Come to think of it, this card reminds me very much of my late "godfather" (not really a godfather, we don't have them in judaïsm, but someone who adopted me spiritually when I was a child), who was a wealthy businessman, but loved the arts - painting, live music and theatre, and who spent the last few years of his life splitting his time between the arts (including building an art centre which he donated to his city) and promoting peace in his country (Israel).

firemaiden

hahah (that's okay Helvetica, I started out as a dancer!)

well, I wasn't sure about the deniers on her side, hahah, bulging pantaloons, yes maybe

I love what you say about dance being a way to take the physical to the spiritual, the reverse is true as well, of course.

Jewel-ry

firemaiden said:
Oh no... it's happened... firemaiden goes off the wall again... heeeeeeelp!

I...just can't help it.. these things turn into images. Is it my fault if the brain insists on connecting the dots?

But, but, but, don't you see it?--It's a woman, seated in lotus position, her arms over her head in a sinewy dance.

The top pentacle is her head, the heart-shaped vines are her arms, the flowers her hands, the lower curve of vines are her legs, in lotus position, and the flowers her crossed feet...

Woman or no woman, there is a lot of sinewy momement here, I am thinking of the dancers of India, with their delicate hands that turn in and around like vines...those little bells that clang...or.. is it.. help! it's turning into Shiva, the lord of the Dance!!

Oh humour me, do... look at these pictures --

dancers hands in the form of these flowers

...but what does it mean? she wails...

This is brilliant. Firemaiden you are priceless!

~ I love also what Helvetica says about dance requiring a lot of training and precision which of course fits in beautifully with this card.

I always think of expansion and expression in this card and the heart shaped growth gives a feeling of passion and love. Loving what you do, whatever it is. Maybe even a labour of love. I think this card holds a lot of promise and could be teaching us realise our potential and go for it.

~

Moonbow

Lovely Firemaiden, :D I see your lotus woman, my... she has a tiny waist! I now think I will always see her in this card. Very delicate hands and feet too! When in lotus position, I put the soles of my feet together then use my hands to 'open out' my soles, it's difficult and takes alot of practice...... I see this clearly in the lower buds/feet...

I see movement and manifestation in the number 3, and in this card I also see happiness and expression (fits in nicely with your lotus lady Firemaiden).

The top coin is being grabbed by the foliage and pulled back down to earth, to secure ground, where it cannot be flitted away and where it can grow and expand. In a reading it would be telling us to look after our finances and invest well or to keep it all together in one secure place (the heart). As I also relate coins to reality, I would say this is telling us to stay grounded and not to float off in a dream world. :)

jmd

A woman, you say.... perhaps like Lajja Gowri

...perhaps I have attached the card upside down, then })

Moonbow

hmmm.......

Interesting that she is called the Shy Princess, don't you think?

FM is just gonna love this!

tmgrl2

fm, this is a great image!!

The dance of life...yes.

Threes are definitely movement, mobile....

I, too, think of the material realm with deniers...the drawing from the earth of its treasures and resources, whether it be in nature, careers, financial matters, physical well-being....and, of course, none of these move in isolation without spiritual and soul-impact.

This is one of those cards in the Tarot de Marseille that I would read in the position in which it appears, since I also see two different pictures depending upon the orientation of the coins.

When the two are on top, I see a face with two eyes and a mouth and even though the deniers are surrounded by floral patterns, this figure sometimes looks like a gargoyle or clown to me, leering at me.

terri

firemaiden

jmd said:
A woman, you say.... perhaps like Lajja Gowri

...perhaps I have attached the card upside down, then })

Okay, jmd, between you and me, I can see the Marseille is soon to be re-classed as an x-rated deck!

(this picture works to explain what the side pentacles are -- her knees!)