A Course in Tarot? How would it look?

Moongold

If you were to construct a course in Tarot what would you include in it?

There is an underlying assumption that you would not be doing this alone. Who else would you be working with in the design of such a course?

What knowledge and theory would you include and why?

Be expansive. Think not just of “knowledge” and theory per se but other more abstract things such as engagement with people. active listening, and so on.

Where would you locate such a course?

Who would you have teach in it?

How much would be theory and how much would be practice?

How would the course be structured over time?

Any other ideas?

If you are completely opposed to learning in such a way, please say why. All points of view appreciated.

What do you think is the best way to learn Tarot?

Moongold

seeker1984

excellent idea

I would have it in a workshop setting...have it like a pottery class or any other interactive class.

I'd have a classroom, probably at a local community college or library, with no desks, a TV with VCR, an overhead projector or whiteboard.

I'd hold weekend long workshops, with catered lunch.

Basically, I'd have everyone sit on the floor on a big fluffy pillow, and part of the tuition would include a Rider-Waite tarot deck, a box and cloth for keeping them. We'd go over a few questions at the beginning. What is Tarot? How is it used? Superstition versus fact/theory. Then probably the history of Tarot, the different types of cartomancies and their uses, and then I'd get into symbolism. Go through and explain what each card means, and what each suit means. I'd probably assign some kind of reading as homework, though I'm not sure which books I'd use. Something basic, nothing too advanced. The next day, after a basic explaination of the suits and major arcana, I would teach them a few basic spreads and their uses. I'd have them do a spread for themselves, and look up the interpretations in their textbook. Then I'd have the room split up into pairs and do readings on each other, with the use of the textbook for interpretation. After everyone had done at least one reading, I'd have a discussion about everyone's experiences...a question and answer forum.

I'd probably bring in a few guest instructors, people who read Tarot professionally or have been working with the Tarot for a long time, and can provide demonstrations.

I'd probably find some cool videos on Tarot and fortune telling to watch, at the end of the class, and then schedule an advanced course for the following weekend, for those who wanted to seriously study the craft. Part of the advanced class would involve finding your own deck, recognising the symbolic differences between its imagery and that of the Rider-Waite, and how to choose your own spread to give more personalised readings. We'd probably go deeper into tarot theory and the implications of divination (abilities, skepticism, consequences, responsibilities, etc.)

Lula Jing

I have actually been on a Tarot course, once a week for 6 weeks. It was a fantastic introduction, but I have to say, I have learned so much more using this forum!

Saying that, it was great to meet up and chat to like-minded individuals.

It was held above a shop (a shop selling all things tarot, crystals, books etc) and we went through each card in turn.

Our teacher gave us the traditional meanings and then we were invited to comment. This seemed to work quite well. The setting was good too - as cosy little room with an open fire blazing away. It was an evening class, and half way through we stopped for tea and biscuits - very civilized!

We were given a handout each week and then on the last evening we practiced doing spreads for each other. I must admit I was really nervous and found this part a bit daunting. For me it was too much too soon. I have only just recently been brave enough to do a reading for a friend, 12 months down the line!

At the time I remember thinking the literature could have been better and I did feel a bit in the deep end on the reading aspect. I remember not being able to think of a single thing to say when I first tried to read for someone - it knocked my confidence a bit.

I would have felt more comfortable observing to start with. Perhaps this part should have been optional, whereas I felt it was compulsory!

Overall a really good experience, but I have done most of my study myself, at home, with the cards, with books and here.

Moongold

I think a course would be oriented to its target group.

Some people want involved right away in the use of the cards. So with such a group you might dive straight away into reading. You might touch on card meanings, iconography, spreads, different approaches to reading, different decks and so on. You could touch on the different uses of Tarot.

Other people might want to expand their horizons in Tarot so you might explore history, the different schools of Tarot, the art of Tarot, mysticism, mythology. astrology and numerology as they apply to Tarot.

You could speak about the law as it applies to tarot and divination and the “mythology” around Tarot itself. You could discuss the “engagement” with people, communication, ethics, running a small business.

You would still have a big experiential component. In fact the experiential component would always be at the core. You could have people doing readings for each other: face to face, right away

You could spend as much time as you wanted on any of these components and go to whatever depth seems appropriate. I would always involve other people. They might have special knowledge and vary the learning experience as well for people in the classes. There may be people with experience and expertise in the Marseille for example. You would want to use them. In fact you could have a whole course on just one school of Tarot

If you were running courses at university or college levels you would probably end up attaching aspects of Tarot to other disciplines like history, art, psychology, iconography, philosophy.

Mind you, it’s really hard to get courses accredited at University level so there would be a whole strategy involved here.

The reality is that such courses are always going to be quite small and with people who are really committed. There are immense creative possibilities in small groups. The value is always going to be in the contact with others as well as the content of the course.

Rusty Neon

For rigourous programs, an example are the educational and testing programs for astrologers.

There are several well-known bodies that certify astrologers through rigourous examinations testing the applicant's knowledge of astrological concepts.

There is even a university in Washington State (albeit not fully accredited, yet) where you can study for and earn bachelor's and master's degrees in astrology.

http://www.kepler.edu/ba/
http://www.kepler.edu/ma/index.html

If you go beyond a pure intuitivist approach to tarot, arguably tarot also has a body of knowledge that can be examined, comparable to the way that astrology has a body of knowledge that can be examined.

It would appear that many astrologers undergo the study programs for the sake of improving their knowledge of astrology. Arguably this can be done by tarotists if a curriculum is developed and available.

Rosanne

I would love to do a study course about Tarot. I would like it outside of working hours, held in an accesible study place i.e local school?I would like there to be resources such as overhead projector, xerox machine and coffee and tea facilities. I would like the group to be relatively small, say no more than 15 people. I would like it to have structure- so some poor sod has to do all the course preparation. I would like it to be in chunks of theme; I would like two divisions of the course-1. The Tarot and 2 How it is used today, with participation. The teacher would be the course itself, but there would have to be a facilatator.
The First part of the course would have Tarot History,the other connections as in Numerology, astrology etc. There would be articles about mystery schools. The study of the 78 Cards and symbols inherent in them. I would also include some outings to associated places, but I have not got that quite clear in my head. I would like debate(timed of course) and the exchange of knowledge. The extent of this part of the course would be dependent on the time frame as in a one year weekly structure or a one term or weekender etc.
The second part of the course is more difficult to nail down. That would include the different ways of using the Tarot and the different appraoches within those ways.It would because of the nature of the beast have to be less structured, but probally more confining.
That is my intial reaction to your question Moongold, and I will think more about it. ~Rosanne

firemaiden

Well, if I were to teach or to look for a course in tarot... I think I would bring a Marseille deck, and some earlier historical decks, as well as the later developments of the RWS and the Thoth, and maybe some very contemporary version, like the Fey, and I would lay out the majors one by one, over many weeks.

I would probably focus on the iconography of the Marseille majors, exploring their religious, literary, and painting counterparts -- I would love to show related illuminations from medieval manuscrips, and medieval and early renaissance paintings/frescoes, as well as examples from medieval texts like the Romance of the Rose of famous topoi like the Wheel of Fortune, and things like Plato's Allegory of the Soul for the Chariot, and find paintings which show the same things.

I would ask jmd for slides of the cathedral stone tableaux which correspond to the majors, and discuss the way images were used for teaching in times when few could read.

I would also like to have a early "naib" deck to show what was inherited for the pips from early and beautiful arabic designs.

I would like the participants to see with their own eyes, how different artists in different times have interpreted the same majors, and how they evolved, and what is different-- for example from the Marseille Fool, to the RWS... and what the difference implies for interpretation.

I would ask each person to ponder what they might understand from the illustrations - if illustrations were the way people were once taught - before literacy, what lessons might they have drawn from these cards.

If I were to attempt to create a course in "reading for others" with the tarot, I would probably take one card at a time - and ask participants to look at it then to write down quickly everything that comes into their heads looking at the card, and then to share and compare notes.

Because I do not accept the validity of astrology I would avoid mentioning it, except where important iconographically.

-=Light=-

Hi Moongold,

Since I would consider myself a beginner and no where near a teaching level, I can only give you suggestions on the type of class that I would attend from a student's point of view and give suggestions on material. I would likely have it set up similar to how I learned my aromatherapy certification which I would compare learning each card to learning each oil.

Since I began 3 months ago I consider learning tarot very exciting yet very overwhelming.

Suggestions for class setting would be interactive and in person. Setting would be really where ever you could rent a space, but you would get more advertising if it were done in a library or college setting etc... or a setting at a local highschool after hours (some local public courses in certain cities are held after hours in these locations and published in a seasonal public course selection magazine etc..) I agree with the others that have already posted these locations as a suggestion ~Roseanne~seeker1984~ My suggestion would be twice a week for maybe 2 hours or so.

I would be very leary of cramming any kind of learning into a weekend course. I believe that intuition for the cards take time and should not be rushed. My suggestion is to have a classes in separate phases.

First phase is learning an introduction to tarot which would be appropriate in a weekend class setting. It would also give the student the opportunity to see whether tarot really was for them or not before they got too heavy into a class. In this phase I agree with ~Roseanne~ and would go into tarot basics, tarot history, how its linked to numerology, astrology, and also teach the students at this point that they need to develop their own intuition for the meanings of the card. I would use the Rider-Waite deck to start and have it included in the tuition like ~seeker1984~ mentioned and I would include the book Easy Tarot Guide by Marcia Masino (I know of a psychic in my city who actually teaches courses with her book with great success; it is an invaluable tool for a beginner and an easy format to follow). Maria Masino also gives a really great intro to the cards themselves with her excercise of laying out all of the cards on a table and picking the ones you like and the ones that you don't like. She suggests picking 3 or 4 of likes and dislikes. By doing this first before they know what the cards mean it really gives them a sense of intuition and being drawn to or away from certain cards. She then describes what the symbolism of picking those particular cards etc....

I would follow the basic format in Maria Masino's book and give a brief overview of what the suits mean and the symbolism of the numbers ie/ one's -- beginnings, starting something new etc..; two's -- relating to others, partnership, balancing etc... I would then give instuction on getting started with shuffling, dealing and certain layouts. I would pick 2 layouts. A three card draw and celtic cross for the ambitious. I would then go through what each position means. By going through all of these things in the introductory course you would basically give the students the tools that they could go off on their own if they are ambitious and learn the cards on their own. You would also give them just enough info to intrigue them in signing up for the follow up phases. This also gives the advanced tarot student the opportunity to skip this intro phase if they already have an understanding and to go right to the other phases.

I would make it clear that any suggestions that are given in class are to be used for class consistency, however when they are finished their 'case studies' (i'll explain this phase later) they can really develop their own method for shuffling, dealing, layouts, storage, energy balancing (or not) etc.... Teach them that you are giving them a starting tool for learning but this is based on your own experience and they have full reign to develop their own methods once the class is over. Consistency is necessary for a learning environment to keep some sort of structure and order, but you don't want them to be so 'by the book' that it inhibits them from spreading their wings after the classes are over.

2nd phase would be learning the Minor Arcana. I would go through and do a section per week depending on how many days per week you are offering classes. In a journal I would have the students write down their interpretation of the card before they learn what it is about. For learning purposes I would give a loose interpretation of what the cards could mean if they were reversed. This way if the student wishes to learn the reversals right away then they have the opportunity. If some find it more difficult then they don't need to use them. I would teach it but leave it up to the student as to whether they want to use reversals or not. I would try to do maybe 2 numbers per week, that way they would have Ace to Ten done in about 5 weeks. I would then get into the court cards and do a Court card per week. One week King, then next Queen's etc.... if you were doing one class per week and if you did two classes per week then I would do a court card per night. I would give homework and interactive excercises to do just like Marcia has in her book. This way it will give you the instructor an opportunity to see if anyone is having difficulties and may need extra help. Everyone learns differently and not everyone can keep up in a classroom setting.

3rd Phase would be the Major Arcanna and I would try to do two a week. I would use the same format as above.

4th Phase would be linking the cards together in the spread format. How the cards interact with each other and what certain card pairing. I would do class room interactive readings. Everyone paired up and giving readings on each other based on what they have learned. Each night you could rotate the groups so everyone can learn to read each other. This way it will give you the instructor an opportunity to observe to see the progress and if the students are ready to read for others. Some students who are ambitous could have already jumped ahead weeks ago with learning the cards and they may have already been practising outside of the class. I would encourage everyone's learning style and definately promote jumping ahead if that is their desire. Other's may prefer structure.

Final Phase would be case studies. I would encourage the students to have maybe 20 or so case studies that they would do on their own with volunteers that they each have found on their own. They would write out the layout that they used and what the positions mean and their interpretations of the spread. This way you could monitor as an instuctor how they are developing and learning on their own. Once they have completed the case studies you could then hand them a certificate of completion of your course.

You could then have optional advanced tarot courses for the graduates or any tarot enthusiast that go more into depth with topics such astrology, reversals etc......

As a student this is the basic structure that I have found in most of my classes. Aromatherapy and Reflexology. By taking it step by step it offers structure and gives you the instructor the chance to monitor progress. By offering the course in phases it also gives the participant to skip phases they are comfortable with and the option of taking the phase that they feel they need most help with. As a business venture this gives you more flexibilty for more students to enroll. Also if a student is struggling with a certain phase then they have the opportunity to take it again before moving on so that they don't fall behind. Tarot is an ongoing process and learning never stops. by having different phases and advanced classes you are opening the door for every level of student.

These are my suggestions and are based on my learning experiences and business strategies as well as certain formats from Easy Tarot Guide by Maria Masino. I also agree with some of the suggestions from the posts of ~seeker1984~ and ~Roseanne~.

Good Luck on your course !
Light :)

mnemosyne7

Moongold said:
If you were to construct a course in Tarot what would you include in it? Moongold

What great questions, Moongold! That's pretty much what I asked myself about 5 years ago. My introductory and intermediate classes pretty much stick to the basics. Not a lot of history ... most of the students I come across want to get comfortable with the cards sooner rather than later. If they want history, I refer them to another local teacher who does a spectacular job with that subject.

Here are the outlines for the intro and intermediate classes currently in session:

INTRO CLASS OUTLINE

Week 1: Why Tarot?
The Importance of a Tarot Journal
Ethics, Ethics, Ethics
Deck Composition
Elements – Basic Correspondences
Numbers 1 through 10 – Basic Correspondences
One Card Impressions

Week 2: Keywords/Key Phrases
Minor Arcana (Pips and Court Cards)
Preparing For a Reading
One and Two Card Readings

Week 3: Major Arcana (0-11)
Three Card Readings

Week 4: Major Arcana (12-21)
Reading Reversals
More Three Card Readings

Week 5: Putting It All Together
Personal Code of Ethics
Create Your Own Spread

Week 6: Reading Workshop

INTERMEDIATE CLASS OUTLINE

Week 1: Storytelling with the Tarot
During this imaginative class, we’ll read a card, find relationships between cards and tell stories using multi-card spreads.

Week 2: Tarot by the Numbers
We’ll review and expand upon the basics (0-9), talk about reduction, resonance, master numbers, alternate numbering schemes, practice reading some unique numerology spreads, and discuss how numerological concepts may relate and add depth to our understanding of the Tarot.

Week 3: An Introduction to the Tree of Life
Kabbalah, Cabala, Qaballah – It’s a tree … no, it’s a cosmic filing cabinet … join Mama Gina’s magical mystical tour of the Tree of Life, as we climb from the ground up, and learn how knowledge of the Tree can enhance our readings.

Week 4: Time and Timing
Say, “When!” We’ll introduce basic astrological correspondences to the Tarot cards, and practice reading time and timing spreads.

Week 5: Sweet Sixteen – The Court Cards
Hang out with sixteen of your closest friends. We’ll discuss personality types and significators, and we’ll experiment with relationship spreads.

Week 6: Tarot Play – 78 Card Spread
We’ll lay it all out on the table today, so bring your primary deck, and get ready for a little self-analysis. We’ll break down various elements of your entire Tarot deck, and discover how the cards reflect the reader.

Moongold said:
There is an underlying assumption that you would not be doing this alone. Who else would you be working with in the design of such a course?

While I did most of the research and creative aspects of the classes, I also consulted with my mentor and the local community to see what they wanted in the classes. I also attach a feedback form to the handouts for every single weekly class, and remind the students that it is their comments and suggestions that will help me improve future classes and let me know what other classes or topics they might want. Even after five years, my intro students give me great ideas for future classes.

Moongold said:
What knowledge and theory would you include and why?

Be expansive. Think not just of “knowledge” and theory per se but other more abstract things such as engagement with people. active listening, and so on.

Honestly, I hope that if I teach anyone anything in all of my classes, it is to think for themselves, and not rely on the "rules." From the very first class, the correspondences deriven for Nos. 1 - 10 and for the four elements come from group discussion. There is a lot of group discussion, and time for readings at the end of every class, so the group can get hands on time.

I bring all my decks for the intro classes, so that the students can get an idea of what is out there. It helps them decide on a deck if they don't have one - and it's good for the shop business.

Moongold said:
Where would you locate such a course?

I've held classes and workshops for the above and for specially designed situations at both metaphysical shops and at my home. The classes at my home are specifically for groups I have already taught and am familiar with (I have a child, and don't invite just anyone into my home.)

Moongold said:
Who would you have teach in it?

I teach the classes. I have had a couple of prior students contact me and ask if they could use my outlines and notes to teach classes of their own. That makes me very happy ... I get credit for the notes, but I know that my former students are now going to add their own creative bent to the subject, and are learning again by teaching.

Moongold said:
How much would be theory and how much would be practice?

Each class is different, but most include group discussion, some lecture, and time to play with the cards. To a practical matter, I prefer a big whiteboard and a large table with chairs all around. (I don't mind playing cards on the floor, but some of my students might, and some of them are older and simply would not be comfortable on the floor.) Some shops don't have a whiteboard, and we work around it. I give handouts with every class. I have learned to go with the flow when it comes to structuring classes.

Moongold said:
How would the course be structured over time?

If I could, I'd teach a freakin' 78 week course, but folks just can't commit to that with their busy lives ... I would probably have a hard time, too. Six weeks seems to work out great. The classes are about 2 and 1/2 hours long. They get a LOT of info in a short amount of time, but they also get practicall application of that information, so they have something to continue working with when the classes end. And, of course, there is always another class or workshop if/when they are ready to continue.

Moongold said:
What do you think is the best way to learn Tarot?

All of them. There are four basic kinds of students - Fire, Water, Air and Earth. I try to reach all of them during my classes. The Fire students are intuitive, and I encourage those flashes and give them tools to use when they are having "off" days. The Water students learn from the heart, and I show them ways to make emotional connections to the cards. The Air students are more intellectual, and want some rules and theory that they can rely on; sometimes I even help them develop mini-flow charts to help them break down the process of reading so that it is not so overwhelming. The Earth students need to experience the cards with their five senses, so I show them how to find examples of the card energies in their lives.

Imagine a room with four doors. It doesn't matter which door you walk through, once you are inside, you have access to the same information. Who cares what door you walk through? I certainly don't. After 20 years, I am still so darned excited about Tarot, that I want to give keys to anyone who is interested. Once they are in the room, they can expand their knowledge and their tools - so an Air student might walk in through the Air door, but if he/she stays long enough, will have the opportunity to expand emotional and physical connections to the cards, and may learn to rely on intuition more easily. That makes for a more rounded reader!

Why do I teach? So I may continue to learn. It keeps me on my toes. Every class and every student has the potential to show me something new. It's my job to pay attention.

Mnem

mnemosyne7

And I should have added (but got a little long-winded):

This is what has worked for me and my personal teaching style. I have no idea what will work for you. And I am certain that whatever you decide, it will be successful.

Mnem