A couple of questions re: seating and direction of cards

Umbrae

If possible, I like the sitter to be to the left or right – it is a warm position and not confrontational.

Sitting across from a sitter is a confrontational position, we’re separated by a table – it’s like sitting across from your boss, or a banker.

Sitting to the side is cozy.

Sitting on the same side (with the sitter next to me) is too close, too intimate.

I like cozy. Tea?

:smoker:

HudsonGray

Since you're the reader, the cards will always be in relation to the position you and how you're sitting, so a reversed in front of you will look upright to the person sitting across from you.

If it's possible to have the person sit side by side, that's the best way, but if the table only allows them to be across from you, as you read the spread and talk about a certain card, you can turn the card towards them so they can see it from your perspective, but turn it back to you when you move on, so you'll have the reading laying the right way in front of yourself as you look it over.

magpie9

Currently, I'm sitting across from the querent at a large table, and laying the cards out on a right angle to us both. The table is really too large for my arms-length and comfort (the other readers here are men) so I'm going to change it so the querent and I are at a right angle, with the cards facing the sitter. (sideways to me) I may end up on the same side of the table, eventually, but at this point feel that it would be invading both our personal spaces. When I have 2 querents, they sit next to each other.

Mostly I don't use reversals, but do orient them to the top of the cards when I use them. -MMMMMMMWMM- W would be a reversal, no matter where I was sitting.

QueenofWands2

Apollonia said:
I prefer to sit opposite the querent, but it's not essential if space cosidersations dictate otherwise. For a relationship reading with two querents, one generally sits opposite me and one next to me. I find that most querents don't really engage in the art anyway, even when I am purposely showing them something in the image.

As for reversals, I agree with Nuncle. I'm the one who's reading, so the cards face me.

Yes! I've noticed that as well, most people I've read for are more interested in hearing what I'm telling them and really don't get as into the art as I do. Usually I feel as if they're thinking "Yeah Yeah, let's get on with the reading." I usually sit opposite the querent as well, I like the eye contact with the querent, it helps me feel more connection with them. I usually don't use reversals, although sometimes it seems the cards shout for a reversed meaning I take it one card at a time.

tmgrl2

No matter where we are when I read, I find a way to sit next to the sitter...Even at the cafe...I slide those big comfy chairs over so we are just about side-by-side...It's an "us" then. Also, we both face the cards and the spread...but can look at each other.

terri