A box for the Voodoo

Little Baron

The other day, I bought a box for the Voodoo. They sit snugly inside, diagonally. The box has a sliding lid. It is a Cuban cigarette box, which I thought might be quite apt.

So today, I thought I shall decorate it.

These things usually do not go well when I take my hand to it. But I bought some beads and paint. In the Voodoo accompanying book, the writer says that you can dress your cards in a silk that mirrors a favourite loa. So I thought that I might do the same, by making my box tuned to Agwe and Yemeya, both from the sea. They are both calming and watery and I find myself connected to them the most.

So that is for this afternoon. Will post pictures as I go along. But I am not feeling particularly confident. Bought some small seashells and sequins to tie in with the ocean.

LB

Attachments

• ABCD0001.JPG
    ABCD0001.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 164

wytchwood

Have you decided on a design or will you just play it by ear? It's a very unusual box and will be really personal when you've finished it.

Zoe

Little Baron

Playing it by ear?

And already made heaps of mess.

Squeezed the tube of glue so hard that the wrong end exploded, sending glue right over my shoulder, in my jeans and the majority, landing in a massive clump on one of my mum's pots.

And then the finikerty little sequins are all over the place.

And so far, the box looks very .. erm .. clumsy .. and erm .. a bit naive. All the sequins are wonky.

So yes, definitely playing it by ear.

LB

Emily

Ohh I remember those far-off days of box decorating - I once decided to decorate a box by putting cloth on the outside, it looked ok but I only had the old araldite(sp)glue to use and it kept sticking to my fingers.

You can make really attractive decorations with paper mache though - slightly watered down white glue and white kitchen roll,let it dry really good and then paint and varnish over the top and it will last forever. :)

MysticalMoose

Looking 4wd to seeing the finished result LB. :) Umm how big is the box?

Little Baron

The box is in the shed at the moment. I got too sticky.

It is probably 15cm high. The cards can sit sideways in it, diagonally, on their side, but they fit snugly.

So far, I painted it blue and put a picture of Agwe on the top. I started a surrounding him with sequins but didn't get much further.

I would show you a picture but I am just a little embarrassed by how 'unwonderful' it looks at the moment, hehe.

LB

Little Baron

Ok. It doesn't look as bad as I thought. But obviously, the whole thing needs to be decorated.

Attachments

• bluebox.jpg
    bluebox.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 135

Moonbow

Very nice LB.

Is the picture from the deck?

I can't imagine how the cards fit in... maybe you will have to put some cloth or other bits in there. No toenails though... please! :D

Little Baron

The picture was just from a general search on the net.

I didn't want to use one from the deck as I felt it might be like favouritism. And also, Agwe is depicted as a sea with a boat on it. Didn't want it to look like one of those nautical bathroom boxes.

I was a little concerned by what spirit I chose. I didn't want to single one out but in the end, it is the watery ones I associate more with and they do feel peaceful in their influence.

LB

wytchwood

It looks great, I had a good chuckle about the glue exploding over your shoulder though! :D

Zoe