The AT Frankenstein Patchwork deck

Le Fanu

This idea stemmed from a thread about what to do with spare cards. I proposed the idea of pooling members' spare cards and making a very special deck (of which there will only ever be one in the world!) entirely made up of AT members' spare cards.

Members can contribute as many cards as they want. Even if you just have one card, you can participate and when we have a complete deck, I shall do a lucky draw and all those who participated will have their names put in a hat and I shall draw a name out and that lucky person will be the proud owner of the AT Frankenstein Patchwork deck. I will not include myself in the lucky draw; nobody would believe me if I won it! :D

Below, you will see a list of all the cards, members should rummage in their tarot chests and see which odd cards they have hanging around, post in the thread and I shall update the list, and only when we have all 78 cards accounted for, can the cards be forwarded to me and I shall assemble the deck. I thought of keeping it "broadly" RWS (I say this because one of the cards I contributed is Strength and it is number VIII), but Thoth cards are welcome, though I'd rather have Judgment than Aeon. Pips can be either scenic or non-scenic. The idea is to have a glorious mismatch, one of a kind patchwork tarot deck, made up of cards from tarot lovers across the globe. An idea which is only possible with the internet. Also, I would like us to have 78 different cards from 78 different decks. Without repetition! Do you want to be part of this exciting, once in a lifetime endeavour? :)

In terms of card size, let us keep it broadly standardised. I have a selection of 7 cards to get started and they are all from different decks and - to be honest - they largely match up. I think if we keep the decks standard US Games, AG Muller, LoS, etc the deck should hang together pretty well. There will be minor discrepancies, but of the 7 cards I have, I'm surprised at how they are more or less the same size. Multiply these seven cards by 10 and I think this deck would be shufflable. It would be nice not to have to trim. However, no giant RWS cards/outsize cards please and no mini/pocket deck. Let's try and keep it generally standardised. I may have to trim a few cards at the end but we may get away with most of the cards being mostly the same size.

And to make it even more exciting; those who contributed more than 5 cards get their name in the hat twice! But all cards are welcome; whether you have 1 card or 10 cards (shall we limit it to 10 maximum per person so as many people as possible are involved?) All are welcome. You just have to be willing to send it in an envelope to Portugal at a later date and I shall send it out (in a bag; or maybe someone wants to do a special patchwork bag?? I can't sew so don't ask me!) to whoever is the lucky winner. I have no idea how long this will take. Or if we manage to get a complete deck.

But - hey - let's be ambitious - let's try!

As members post, I shall put their names, saying which card/cards they have, in the list. Please post the card/cards you have and what deck they are from as - like I said - I want to avoid repetition.

(Oh and one more thing; one of my cards I received with a Tarot Chest order and I have no idea what deck it is from. So Deck I.D time! OK, here goes; it is AG Muller (I'm pretty certain) and the card is the Hermit. The back of the card has a sepia drawing of three women dancing in a circle, and the front of the card has The Hermit with his finger to his lips in a "shhh!" gesture, and there is another figure in the lower LH corner. Title in four languages on the white border. Any ideas? Someone must know!)

MAJORS

The Fool; RWS Plaid backs (BlueDragonfly) received
The Magician; Victoria Regina (Rasa) received
The High Priestess; Midnight Masquerade (Chronata)received
The Empress; Yoga Tarot (rhombchick) received
The Emperor; Legend; Arthurian Tarot (FaireMaiden) received
The Hierophant; Hudes (Alta) received
The Lovers; Unidentified Thai deck (Rasa) received
The Chariot; Thoth (gregory) received
Strength; Universal Waite (Le fanu) received
The Hermit; Meneghello Tarocchi Neoclassico (Le Fanu) received
The Wheel of Fortune; Feng Shui (receivedjcwirish)
Justice; Karma Music (Oddity) received
The Hanged Man; Cat People (gregory) received
Death; 1JJ Swiss (Lillie) received
Temperance; MRP Fairy Tale Tarot (OctoberGwen)received
The Devil; Sheridan Douglas (Pipistrelle)received
The Tower; Chronatarot (Chronata) received
The Star; Balbi (photokat) received
The Moon; Albano Waite (1968) (photokat) received
The Sun; Tarot of the Old Path (WendyWu) received
Judgment; Tarot de Marsella (Fire Cat) received
The World; Sacred Rose (gregory) received

MINORS (N.B; Wands can be any Marseilles variant too!)

Ace of Wands; Angel Tarot (Oddity) received
Two of Wands; Mystic Meg (thorhammer) received
Three of Wands; Housewives Tarot (VGimlet) received
Four of Wands; Hoi Polloi (photokat) received
Five of Wands; LoS Dragon Tarot (Briar Rose) received
Six of Wands; Spirit Tarot (iceclone) received
Seven of Wands; Inner Child (Brigid): received
Eight of Wands; /Rods. The Intuitive (nicky) received
Nine of Wands; Tarot of the Princesses (nicole_) received
Ten of Wands; Crow's Magickal tarot (Pipistrelle) received
Page of Wands; The Astrology Tarot - a TdM deck -(Elven) received
Knight of Wands; /Rods, Aquarian (morticia monroe) received
Queen of Wands; Palladini (gregory) received
King of Wands; Comparative (Aulruna) received

Ace of Cups; Illuminated (lark) received
Two of Cups; Williams' Minchiate Tarot (Fire Cat) received
Three of Cups; 1st edition Tarot of Prague (Mimers) received
Four of Cups; Spanish Tarot (nicky) received
Five of Cups; El Teddy Tarot (aurarcana) received
Six of Cups; LoS Pagan Tarot (FaireMaiden) received
Seven of Cups; Shapeshifters (Brigid): received
Eight of Cups; Baroque Bohemian Cats (Celice) received
Nine of Cups; LoS Egyptian Tarot (Le fanu) received
Ten of Cups; Davis/Paterson Celtic Tarot (Fire Cat) received
Page of Cups /Princess of Cups; Druid Craft (Cat*) received
Knight of Cups; Radiant RWS (Le fanu) received
Queen of Cups; Cosmic (Oddity) received
King of Cups; Gilded (Briar Rose) received

Ace of Swords; Golden Dragon (WendyWu) received
Two of Swords; Women's Tarot (Pipistrelle) received
Three of Swords; University Books RWS (photokat) received
Four of Swords; Old English Tarot (Pipistrelle)received
Five of Swords; Fantastic Menagerie (faunabay)
Six of Swords; Kurmay (Brigid):received
Seven of Swords; Modern Medieval Tarot (Le fanu) received
Eight of Swords; Sweet Twilight (gregory) received
Nine of Swords; Fantastical Creatures (Pipistrelle)received
Ten of Swords; Mage The Awakening (Pipistrelle) received
Page of Swords; Natalie Herz's Fantastical Tarot (le fanu) received
Knight of Swords ; Papus (Le Fanu) received
Queen of Swords; LoS Visconti-Sforza (cardlady) received
King of Swords; Robin Wood (gregory) received

(N.B Pentacles can be Disks or Coins or Deniers or whatever...)

Ace of Pentacles: Haindl (zan) received
Two of Pentacles; Manga (faunabay) received from Chronata
Three of Pentacles; /"three of bells" The Ironwing (aurarcana) received
Four of Pentacles, The Mythic Tarot (GeorgiePorgie) received
Five of Pentacles; Tarot of the Secret Forest (Cat*) received
Six of Pentacles; Celtic Dragon (Fire Cat) received
Seven of Pentacles, Stella's tarot (cardlady22) received
Eight of Pentacles; Napo (FaireMaiden) received
Nine of Pentacles, /Nine of Pumpkins, Halloween Tarot (cardlady22)received
Ten of Pentacles; Magic Manga (Pipistrelle) received
Page of Pentacles; Ukiyoe (morticia monroe) received
Knight of Pentacles: Spiral (nisaba): received
Queen of Pentacles; Fergus Hall Witches tarot (Oddity)received
King of Pentacles; Renaissance Tarot (OctoberGwen) received

Spread the word!

And Moderators; this is a Tarot Deck creation thread, right? Maybe it would be suited to Competitions? Fun and Games? Please move if necessary...

thorhammer

Yay, what a lovely idea! I'll come back with any spares I might have this afternoon - I think I have some :)

Edit - yes, I know I have one from the Songs For the Journey Home - are round cards welcome??? :(

Edit again - Okay, no round cards, but I'm sure I can find another one!

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

I have a spare Gatemaker (Knight?) of Blades (swords) from Ironwing that I could trim the borders off of to make less square. Could that work?

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
Edit - yes, I know I have one from the Songs For the Journey Home - are round cards welcome??? :(

Edit again - Okay, no round cards, but I'm sure I can find another one!
:D :D ... I knew this would get complicated!

zan.. draw round a card from your Hudes and that will be an ok size! A card from Ironwing would be very welcome!

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
zan.. draw round a card from your Hudes and that will be an ok size! A card from Ironwing would be very welcome!

Will do!

GeorgiePorgie

Le Fanu said:
(Oh and one more thing; one of my cards I received with a Tarot Chest order and I have no idea what deck it is from. So Deck I.D time! OK, here goes; it is AG Muller (I'm pretty certain) and the card is the Hermit. The back of the card has a sepia drawing of three women dancing in a circle, and the front of the card has The Hermit with his finger to his lips in a "shhh!" gesture, and there is another figure in the lower LH corner. Title in four languages on the white border. Any ideas? Someone must know!)
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spirit/index.shtml

Le Fanu

Thank you GeorgiePorgie! That's exactly it! I'll identify it in the OP! Is there any deck which AT-ers can't identify!

ETA; zan, I put you down for the Knight of Swords. Let us know if you have any other spare cards...

BlueDragonfly

What a cool idea! I'll throw in The Fool from the Rider-Waite(blue plaid back)!

I'll make and donate the patchwork bag, too.

~BD~

cardlady22

Oh, marvelous! Count me in.

Queen of Swords ~ LS Visconti Gold
Seven of Disks(pents) ~ Stella's Tarot ;)

KafkasGhost

I have a "9 Receive" card from Tarot Chest. I have no idea what deck or what suit this is supposed to be. There is a blonde fairy gathering mushrooms in a green pasture with a gigantic...rodent helping her (rabbit? squirrel? fat rat?).
I'm guessing pentacles?

I would be happy to contribute this to the cause and wonderfully fun idea.

[size=+1]"Fire, bad...!"[/size] :bugeyed: