Quantum Tarot: A new deck by the 78th Fool and Leo62

Leo62

The intention behind this deck is to explore the exciting, exotic ideas that have emerged in physics in the last 100 years, including Einstein's theories of relativity, Quantum mechanics and more recent mind-boggling concepts such as string theory.

This is thrilling stuff (well to me anyway! ;)) that can seriously alter your view of reality. Trouble is, these are also very complex ideas and they can be hard to grasp. I wanted to find a way to make them more accessible and, I dunno, I thought it would be a good idea for a tarot deck...

I would never have started this project without the artistry and talent of Chris Butler (the 78th Fool), who is designing the images for the deck. We've begun work on the major arcana, and I can't praise him highly enough. Here's the first couple of cards - any feedback would be gratefully received. :)

The first card is the Fool, symbolising the creation and the early history of the universe - known as the Big Bang theory. It uses an image from the Hubble telescope showing distant galaxies as they would have appeared early in the history of the universe.

The Big Bang is widely accepted as the dominant theory of the universe’s creation. It posits that the universe was created in a single cataclysmic event, an explosion, almost 14 billion years ago. In the first few seconds after the Big Bang, the four forces (electromagnetism, the weak force, the strong force and gravity), atomic nuclei and the basic elements all took shape, but it was another 300 million years before stars and galaxies began to form. Our own sun was born about 8 to 9 billion years after the Big Bang.

Can the Big Bang theory ever be conclusively proved? Perhaps not, but there is an awful lot of circumstantial evidence. For example, it has been demonstrated through the phenomenon of red shift that all the galaxies in the universe are moving away from each other. Red shift occurs when a light source recedes from the observer; the light it emits shifts towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. It also appears that the universe is continuing to expand, billions of years after the initial explosion of Big Bang.

Another piece of evidence, Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMB), was predicted by the Big Bang theory and has been found and measured. About 300,000 years after the Big Bang, the universe had cooled down enough for the first hydrogen atoms to form. At this point, the universe changed from an opaque cosmic soup to become transparent, allowing light to travel great distances. CMB is the faint echo of this explosion of light. The subsequent cooling and expansion of the universe has shifted this radiation so far to the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum that it appears as microwaves rather than visible light. This residual glow, at about 3 degrees kelvin (–270 degrees Celsius), is observable at every point in the universe. It was first discovered in the 1960’s using new microwave receiver technology. More recently, NASA’s COBE (Cosmic Background Explorer) satellite has measured CMB more accurately.

Also included is the Death card. In this deck, Death symbolises Antimatter. The card shows a traditional Death image, mirrored and superimposed on the image of a dying star.

Every type of matter particle has a matching antimatter particle or antiparticle. The antiparticle has the same mass but an opposite charge to its corresponding particle. For example, the negatively-charged electron has an antiparticle with a positive charge, known as the positron. When a matter particle meets its antimatter partner, they annihilate each other in pure energy, which can go on to form other kinds of particles. Physicists are sure that antimatter exists, but the strange thing is that our universe appears to be made up entirely of matter. What happened to all the antimatter? Antimatter particles can be created, briefly, in particle accelerators, but are soon transformed via annihilations into other kinds of matter particles. It is believed that the very early universe consisted of almost equal parts matter and antimatter. However, there was slightly more matter than antimatter, which meant that all the antimatter was quickly annihilated. From this narrow margin of matter over antimatter, our universe came into being.

Attachments

• The Fool JPEG.jpg
    The Fool JPEG.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 659
  • Death JPEG.jpg
    Death JPEG.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 618

Sophie

OMG, this is so exciting! And the two of you creating it together - I am thrilled! This is going to be a very interesting deck. I like the idea of a quantum physics tarot - so many wild ideas that have shaped the past century. I've been wondering what either of you would be doing next, after Leo's Universe Cards and 78th Fool's Butler Tarot...To see you working together is going to be a real treat.

I like those two you posted. The Fool and Death together - as I see them somehow as companions.

The Big Bang and the butterfly in the Fool - and a wink to the Marseille in the Antimatter Death card.

I'm going to be following this with great interest.

Netzach

Wow! What a super idea.

Leo62 said:
any feedback would be gratefully received

OK. My husband (who knows about quantum physics) had a look at the cards with me, so the comments are from both of us.

Leo62 said:
The first card is the Fool, symbolising the creation and the early history of the universe - known as the Big Bang theory. It uses an image from the Hubble telescope showing distant galaxies as they would have appeared early in the history of the universe.

I love the concept of this card. However, neither of us likes the shape of the hand & arm. It doesn't give the impression of being the centre of the card - we feel there should be more hand and a lot less arm in order to emphasise what is happening here.

Leo62 said:
Also included is the Death card. In this deck, Death symbolises Antimatter. For every particle of matter in the universe, there is a corresponding antimatter particle. But antimatter is very unstable, and when matter and antimatter particles meet, they anihilate each other.

What an absolutely stunning card. I think I'd buy the deck for this card alone. Husband says do you mind if he quibbles slightly? Apparently antimatter isn't unstable - it's just that, as you say, antimatter & matter anhilate each other. Also he says that, although there is an equivalent antimatter particle for every type of matter particle, there's actually a great deal more matter in the universe than there is antimatter. But, as he says, he's only quibbling.

Overall, absolutely super & I'm longing to see some more.

Leo62

Netzach said:
Husband says do you mind if he quibbles slightly? Apparently antimatter isn't unstable - it's just that, as you say, antimatter & matter anhilate each other. Also he says that, although there is an equivalent antimatter particle for every type of matter particle, there's actually a great deal more matter in the universe than there is antimatter. But, as he says, he's only quibbling.

Overall, absolutely super & I'm longing to see some more.
Netzach - thanks for your comments, and please thank your husband for his invaluable feedback! And I don't see this as quibbling; in fact, any more quibbles he is able to offer will be gratefully received. I'm not a physicist; I'm trying to get my head round this stuff from books, so I'm pleased to get feedback from someone who really knows his stuff. :)

Sienna

Kay and Chris,

My initial thought on seeing both images is quite simply WOW! I think this is a truly amazing and quite - can I say it? groundbreaking project. I am not terribly up on Quantum mechanics theory, but the visual imagery appealed to me on a BASIC level (as did the idea behind it) and perhaps this is what you are both trying to convey? The fundamental building blocks of the Universe and the Human Archetype and how it interacts with these fundamental forces? I am quoting a famous song here "We are all made of Stars", which I think says quite simply what I feel.

I look forward to more cards with much anticipation!

Guys, I think you are on to a winner with this.

Sx

Leo62

Thanks Sienna and Helvetica for your enthusiasm and kind comments. Sienna - I think you've hit the nail on the head:
Sienna said:
The fundamental building blocks of the Universe and the Human Archetype and how it interacts with these fundamental forces
Sums up beautifully what we are trying for with this deck...think I'll have to borrow it...Heheh ;)

Netzach

When do you think it's going to be finished and on sale? Not that I'm trying to rush you, you understand . . . . !!!!

Leo62

Well...we've only got another 76 cards to go...LOL. Then we've got to find a publisher or find a way of producing it ourselves...I think it'll be a few months yet. ;) But it's nice to know someone's interested!

The 78th Fool

I'd just like to say thankyou as well for some fantastic and really helpful feedback. This project was first discussed at the January Tarot Tarts' meeting in London - Kay and I talked about her ideas and then decided that we'd try working together for a day to see if we could collaborate effectively. The cards posted here are the result of that day's work and for my own part I'm really thrilled with the results.

This is totally uncharted territory for me for two reasons. Previously I've only worked to illustrate my own concepts where Tarot is concerned (With the Butler Tarot and latterly with the Son Tarot). As such, to be working as an illustrator/ interpreter purely for someone else's concept is a fabulous experience that I know will stretch me far more than usual. Secondly, I would never have dreamed of a concept such as this one in a million years. The subject matter is literally awe inspiring and I'm bracing myself for a really exciting journey, not to mention a steep learning curve.

Life really doesn't get much better than this - It's only February and here I am working with not one but two highly respected Tarot authors; I'm illustrating this deck for Kay and I've got the equal privilege of having Lee Bursten write the book for my deck. In London slang I'm what's known as a 'very lucky bugger' !

Chris. xx

huredriel

Kay and Chris,

Wonderful news ....... although I don't understand much about physics etc, think the cards you've posted are awesome ........ especially love the Death card (it's always a favourite in any deck I get)!

x Huredriel