Laminating cards.....

6 Haunted Days

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but it's about a process of creating a tarot deck!

I was wondering how some of you laminate cards? I've heard hairspray but doesn't that cause those greasy wet spots? If I don't laminate them they will get dirty, perhaps ripped etc. I want them to remain pristine! Thanks for any help....

6 Haunted Days

Marion said:
I think you mean 'coat' or 'varnish', right?

Lamination is about 'plasticizing', I think.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=62732&page=1&pp=10&highlight=laminating

Yes that's more what I was looking for....a coat or varnish. It's just for one deck so I don't want to go out and buy a machine or a bunch of junk. I was thinking the clear stuff my dad used to laminate my SS card lol. Perhaps that would make the cards too bulky? I wonder about some actual varnish or something you can brush onto the cards? I know a lot of artists do it with photo's or pictures.

6 Haunted Days

Marion said:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=924333&postcount=111

I am sure that danubhe has discusssed spray coatings, but I can't find the post.

Yea I knew it wa discussed somewhere before, but I can't find it either! I was wondering how well hairspray would work. That would be the cheapest, easiest alternative, but wanted to get the low down on it and other options.

winnie

i've used hairspray in the past for 'fixing' pencil and charcoal drawings but while it will help to stop either graphite or charcoal from smudging, it doesn't really offer any protection to the card or paper

there are a large range of varnishes available in art shops in gloss and matt finishes that you could use instead. In general the gloss varnishes tend to be more hard wearing but if you don't like the gloss effect you can always add a layer of matt varnish on top

stella01904

Yeah, find a spray of some kind at the art supply store. Charcoal fixative might be enough, or you might think about a spray varnish of some kind.

Don't laminate them in plastic like a social sercurity card, I knew someone who made a deck and did this, and by the time you do this to 78 cards, they won't even lie in a stack without tipping and spilling everywhere.

Antique cards are uncoated - now that's something to think about, too.

Miren

stella01904 said:
Yeah, find a spray of some kind at the art supply store. Charcoal fixative might be enough, or you might think about a spray varnish of some kind.

When I was younger, I went through an oil pastels phase and there was a really good fixative I got at an art store. Don't remember the name, but I think it had the effect that you're looking for.

I would second or third the recommendation not to get traditional laminating (which is just plastic coats). Makes things slippery as all getout. I've never laminated cards, but I've had trouble with other stuff I laminated that was just crazy.

DraagonStorm

Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303 is what I think your looking for. Hair Spray would only be good to set pastels or charcoal. The Acrylic would coat the cards better. But you would still need to use a good heavy card stock, as the Acrylic Coating would still not give you a solid card, that would stand up to use.

BB
DraagonStorm
www.annalisabreastcancerfund.com

Little Baron

Hi Everyone

I have made a few cards and want to carry on doing so. Just for myself.

But I was thinking of using the plasticy laminating procedure.

They are printed onto photopaper, which gives them a beautiful shine and deep coulour, but also, you handle them once and they get finger prints on and get dirty.

I couldn't see any other alternative as I am sure other kinds of fixitive would not work here. Also they could do with being a bit more sturdy.

Any thoughts?

LB