Now all 78 COLOURED images of Jean-Pierre Payen deck are available!!

Yann

beautiful deck. I like the colours (bleu-blanc-rouge) which are presaging the french flag.

Bertrand

Bonjour,
beautiful deck. I like the colours (bleu-blanc-rouge) which are presaging the french flag.
or the USA flag, Nederlands, Costa Rica, Luxembourg... or a reminiscence of the British flag, your mileage may vary.

There's no yellow, black or green on the french flag, seeing only the french flag ("livrée des Rois de France" as explained by Ménestrier) three colours in this deck is quite a cultural bias and - IMO - an illusory correlation (which you are rightfully free to believe).

Hypothetically, shall you discard two colours, they would be the white and black as they are applied to the cards at a different moment, wihte preexists any colour and black defines the lines even before the cards are glued. All others colours are applied when cards are "dressed" (habillées), you may keep red blue and yellow, and maybe green, so the Romanian or Ethiopian flags would make much better candidates !

Bertrand

MoonGypsy

Oh so lovely! How did i miss this? Life got in the way. :p i had better save my pennies...

delizt

thank you Kenji for posted the link to such an exquisite deck!!!

Mystavi

Some time ago I had drawn the attention on the visible cuts on Payen and on Viéville:

"Also, there are these strange cuts on the face of the Valet de bastons (servant of stick) and on the upper denier of 3 of denier. I am very satisfied to find them because there are also (but in largest number) cuts on Viéville. They are not clumsiness of the engraver."

I dedicated it a page on my website with photos where we see well these cuts :

http://editions-sivilixi.com/les-mysteres-du-tarot-de-vieville/lenigme-des-cesures/

I believe that we can begin to understand these caesuras(breaks) with the arcan I and the arcan VIII of Viéville. I dedicate a long chapter in my book " The Mysteries of the tarot of Viéville " about the cut of the arcan VIII. I shall try to translate this passage for a next comment.

Mallah

1713?

Pardon my ignorance in this; I'm sort of new to the history of it all....2 of denier sez Ano 1713....is it really that early, or is that when the Cartier was founded or something?? The library's date says ca. 1760.

ARudhra

Pleasure

I am so pleased to find this thread and see who is participating. I would like to add my congratulations to the others who appreciate your contributions, kenji. I have heard of you in the great wide world out there. I am looking at the images now.

kenji

Thanks everyone:) Let's pray an angel will come down to multiply the deck and scatter them all over the world...

Yves Le Marseillais

Angel dust

Thanks everyone:) Let's pray an angel will come down to multiply the deck and scatter them all over the world...

Hum.... Let's say a Business Angel so ha ha !!

There is so much Tarot of Marseilles Pattern decks to reproduce and share that choosing is always a hard task.

Luckily more and more independent cardmakers are showing up this last years/months.

I cross fingers for quality works because one have to respect this old historical decks and their original makers and engravers.

Old Master cardmakers are watching us from "the sky"...........

Cheers,

Yves