On becoming a therapist (Marseille Tarot spread)

kayless

Hi everyone,

just apologizing for my english, it is not my first language.

I plan on starting university in the fall of 2014 to eventually become a therapist for couples and families. I already work in the field but as a psychosocial worker with families of youth protection. Will I achieve my goal? Because it's really a long way to go (undergraduate studies, then grad school, etc.)

1- Chariot (left) - Feelings of the consultant on the question
2- Temperance (right) - Obstacles
3- Pope (up) - Atmosphere, vibe on the situation
4- Strengh (down) - First answer to our question
5- Wheel of Fortune (centre) - end result outcome

I do feel like I've got what it takes to succeed (Chariot). I don't know how to interpret Temperance. I do feel like with the combination olf the pope, the strength and the wheel that it is my destiny to become one and that with determination, strength and the protection of a man, I will achieve my goal.

What are your views on this?

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Kayless,

Could you please have a go at interpreting Temperance here before anyone else posts?

Could other posters please wait?

Sulis - moderator

kayless

Then, by looking at interpretations of this card on the Internet, I feel like it's a positive card, that I need a lot of nuances and moderation to do this job and I have it.

Sulis

Hi Kayless,

Temperance is in the obstacle position of your spread so how would you see it as an obstacle?

kayless

Hi Kayless,

Temperance is in the obstacle position of your spread so how would you see it as an obstacle?

I think it's a moderated obstacle since it is a positive card. I would say a lack of communication but I wouldn't know with who or why. I really do not know how to interpret this card because it is generally positive but it's in a bad position here.

BSwett

I have an idea:

Passiveness! Excessive Passiveness. That might be the obstacle. Temperance calls for balanced, calm, centered paths. For equalization and even flow. Sometimes this is very good, but sometimes life requires that we act with much more spice, eagerness, and personal determination. Pick a road, left or right, and go! Follow your desires!

perhaps....

Sherryl

I agree with BSwett that Temperance could mean excessive passivity. Temperance is focused inward on her own processes. A benefit of studying psychology is self-understanding, and perhaps this is really what you're looking for (or need) even more than the ability to work with clients.

This card reminds me that many therapists burn out because they badly need to "fix" their clients and make them happy.

A good card in a position of blockage or pitfalls can mean that the qualities of the card aren't appropriate, or aren't going to do you any good in the situation. Like having a planet in its sign of detriment in a horoscope. The planet doesn't become "bad", it just can't be effective.

Temperance can also be an excess of niceness - being overly accommodating to others, too eager to please. This leads me to the Pope. Are you pursuing this because you're being pressured or encouraged by a parent or authority figure you respect?

The Pope could be a mentor, and it could also be you stepping into your own power as a guide to others.

At first glance, I saw this reading as you did – indicating you are ready to go forward successfully. But a second look at Strength and Wheel of Fortune made me think again. These could be interpreted as having to do a lot of hard work, having to struggle uphill, which you probably have the strength and endurance to do, but with an uncertain outcome. Strength can also mean wrestling with inner demons. Along with Temperance, the cards could be saying that your psychological studies may reveal things about yourself and be more of an inner journey than a journey to a new career.

With the Pope guiding you, and the energy of the Chariot, I'd say it is your destiny to go on this path, although the outcome may not be exactly what you are envisioning now.

I hope this isn't too much information. I realize I went way beyond your question about one card, but everything seemed inter-connected.

kayless

Hi, first off thanks for your replies.

No, I am not being pressured by anyone for my career choices (and even if it were the case, I wouldn't let that happen). I made the choice 100% on my own, listening to my values, interests and hopes. I also already work in the field and I do not try to "fix" anyone, I offer my help and I let go afterwards and I am 100% capable of doing that. I am touched by what I see and I have a tendency to be more empathetic than authoritary but when I get home, I generally do not keep on thinking about the cases I've had at work. Yeah, I have a feeling that it's a long way to go and that hard work will be necessary. Thank you

Kuroga

Hi everyone,

just apologizing for my english, it is not my first language.

I plan on starting university in the fall of 2014 to eventually become a therapist for couples and families. I already work in the field but as a psychosocial worker with families of youth protection. Will I achieve my goal? Because it's really a long way to go (undergraduate studies, then grad school, etc.)

1- Chariot (left) - Feelings of the consultant on the question
2- Temperance (right) - Obstacles
3- Pope (up) - Atmosphere, vibe on the situation
4- Strengh (down) - First answer to our question
5- Wheel of Fortune (centre) - end result outcome

I do feel like I've got what it takes to succeed (Chariot). I don't know how to interpret Temperance. I do feel like with the combination olf the pope, the strength and the wheel that it is my destiny to become one and that with determination, strength and the protection of a man, I will achieve my goal.

What are your views on this?
Hi kayless,
this is a late reply, I hope it can still be useful.
My humble opinion on it:

I do agree with BSweet and Sherryl that Temperance there is meaning passivity, being static in a way. Let's look at the cards.
The Chariot, in the position of the feelings of the querent, may suggest that you wish to embark on this path, the four pillars of the chariot suggest that you see this as a credible professional way to have 'success'. If in your deck the horses are going different ways, this may hint to you having second thoughts about the situation.

It is true that the cards have 'positive' meanings, but in my view there is not 'positive' or 'negative', there are meanings. If you give the cards positions, their meaning changes accordingly. Temperance is a static card, a card of equilibrium. Equilibria can be obstacles, as the shall be broken in order for change to happen. The number, 14, reinforces the feeling of stability. The atmosphere, as the Pope, is one of habits and rituals.I would say that in this position, this means that you would need to broke a set of rituals and routines, 'ways', in order to pursue your objective. This also makes sense with the Temperance.

Strength, as first answer, may suggest that you need determination and will to achieve what you envision. The Wheel of Fortune should be read with the previous one, I think.

Peace,

Kuroga