Golden Tarot

retrokat

A&R certainly aren't making a profit at that price (it's below cost price including even sea-shipping to Australia) - I think it's just a mistake, calculated on the pre-release price, which was estimated on just a deck, not the fancy box, gilded edges, biggish LWB etc. RRP in Australia is around the $60 mark, that's what it will cost in your local bookshop etc.

Shhhhh, don't tell A&R and Aussies can keep buying it there on the cheap ;)

Considering that US buyers can get it at discount chains I think it's only fair that my fellow Aussies have a chance to grab a bargain too.

Sorry I can't offer any similar suggestions for my European fans! Although some of the discount 'partners' on Amazon do ship overseas, and even with $9 postage it still often works out cheaper than buying it in Europe.

As people have mentioned, the package even at the RRP really is underpriced, for which I'm very grateful to US Games for keeping it so low - that was my request, and they wanted the lush gilt edges, pretty box etc so all up I think even at 20 Euros you'll feel like it's good value for what you get (I hope!).

seneris

Stregaverde said:
Amazon.de and Amazon.at have it listed for 22 euros.
Amazon.fr has it listed for 20 euros.
Amazon.co.uk has it listed for 12 pounds, which is 17,40 euros. Shipping will be more, however, coming from Great Britain.
Alida is the most expensive at 24 euros.

Seneris, I feel your pain. It does bother me how much things cost here in Europe
(snip)

That said, the Golden is totally worth the European cost!

Thank you very, very much Strevagarde. I will look into it.
Darn, I hate those shippingcosts... :(

RedMaple

Kat, I am still overwhelmed by this beautiful deck. We've been discussing trimming decks on several threads here, and I can say this is one deck I'll never trim. The lush gold is wonderful, but so is the border color. It is perfect for this deck, and clearly a lot of thought went into what would artistically work well with the images.

There are so many images I love, but I have to mention the Strength card especially. Her expression is amazing, the knight moving toward her, and the lion with those mysterious wings! It seems to me that the knight thinks she needs saving, and is he going to be surprised when she turns and sees her with the lion. It gives me such a feeling of strength. Thank you for putting these amazing images togther.

Blessings,

RedMaple

retrokat

Golden Tarot etc at tarot.com

I just noticed that my deck, along with a bunch of others, are now able to be selected for use at http://tarot.com - all the decks can be browsed in full, which may be of interest as US Games hasn't previously allowed all of the cards from some of these decks to be shown online before. Some of my favourites - like the Visconti Sforza and Cary-Yale Visconti are there too.

http://tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks-promo.php should get you to all the decks - I had trouble finding the list from their front page.

If you get tempted by the decks on offer there, remember to come back and buy through Aeclectic to support this forum:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/support.shtml

Little Baron

retrokat said:
you'll feel like it's good value for what you get (I hope!).

Don't worry Kat, it definitely is. Especially when you consider the work that has gone into the creation.

I have to admit that I do not use the deck as much as I had thought I would, but it is one that I look through on occasion. It is a very beautiful piece and all that have seen it have been very impressed. It gets the 'wooo's' and 'ahhhhs' from friends when it's little gold silhouette slinks out of it's box. For those that want a deck which looks old and historical but prefer the RWS tradition, rather than a Marseille or Visconti, I think it is a very good choice. It is a deck that even though it is modern in manufacture, has all the mystery and magic of an 'old' tarot. There are not many on the market that do that.

Good to see it on tarot.com. I often look through the samples there. Sometimes, if I am working with a deck for quite a while and am writing up my readings on the computer, I save all of the thumbnails from that site so that I can insert them into my 'diary' each day. I am glad that the option of doing this with your deck is there for the future. It makes looking back over my printed journal easier to detect the rhythms and returns of certain cards and suits.

Best, LB

la-luna

LittleBuddha said:
Don't worry Kat, it definitely is. Especially when you consider the work that has gone into the creation.

I have to admit that I do not use the deck as much as I had thought I would, but it is one that I look through on occasion. It is a very beautiful piece and all that have seen it have been very impressed. It gets the 'wooo's' and 'ahhhhs' from friends when it's little gold silhouette slinks out of it's box. For those that want a deck which looks old and historical but prefer the RWS tradition, rather than a Marseille or Visconti, I think it is a very good choice. It is a deck that even though it is modern in manufacture, has all the mystery and magic of an 'old' tarot. There are not many on the market that do that.

Good to see it on tarot.com. I often look through the samples there. Sometimes, if I am working with a deck for quite a while and am writing up my readings on the computer, I save all of the thumbnails from that site so that I can insert them into my 'diary' each day. I am glad that the option of doing this with your deck is there for the future. It makes looking back over my printed journal easier to detect the rhythms and returns of certain cards and suits.

Best, LB

It’s a deck I love to describe as one having an ancient soul with both its feet into the here and now and its hart filled with love.

Little Baron

I agree La-Luna.

As I said, I don't use it too often.

But I have just pulled it out and am doing my second short reading with it this afternoon for the reading exchange. The cards always seemed a little too busy for me before, but this afternoon, they are very clear and uninterupted. I am glad I saw this thread or I might not have given it another chance for some time.

It is a visually stunning deck and makes a nice change from a lot of the toot that is published in the world of tarot :D

Best, LB

darwinia

LittleBuddha said:
It is a visually stunning deck and makes a nice change from a lot of the toot that is published in the world of tarot

Oh, I love this sentence. It's quite discouraging to see people printing "toot." I refuse to even call it publishing.

Time, effort, and originality are bypassed a lot in our current culture. We are a Society of Toot and a Culture of Copyists.

I love my Golden. Along with the William Blake, Giotto and Bosch decks, it opened up the world of art and art history that is still zooming me along to new ideas and learning.

I have now embraced the Modernists. De Kooning meets Masaccio. Thanks Kat for the opportuinity to SEE the world!

Little Baron

darwinia said:
Oh, I love this sentence. It's quite discouraging to see people printing "toot." I refuse to even call it publishing.

Absolutely Darwinia.

You can put a stamp on an addressed envelope these days and you've got a card for a collage deck (with keywords) And someone will want to publish it!

But here, the original art is beautiful. And Kat's way of both blending, choosing and understanding what she was creating stand out like a sore thumb in comparison to a lot of what is on offer. It is more than just pretty though, as I think sometimes that labelling can wrongly fall into the 'looks nice but can't work with it' pigeon hole. And this deck appears to be very workable,

I am always stunned by how 'antique' something that I bought in a chainstore bookshop can look when I flick through this deck.

LB

planetmoon

Thank you for a lovely deck, Kat.

I picked up The Golden Tarot and my first impressions, now that I have the cards in my hands, are that there is so much to get my teeth into. I love cards I can dive into and these are that. I like how the cards follow the Rider-Waite symbolism but at the same time allow you to go off in different directions.

I look forward to getting to know this deck.