Oracle for introspection and personal growth?

2_Journey

Hi all,

I started getting back into reading cards recently after a few years away, and have started getting interested in oracles as a way to exercise my intuition without the tarot structure to fall back on. Lately my work with the cards has centered on introspective readings and personal growth. I don't have any oracles but I'm thinking about investing in a deck or two at the most. Current decks up for consideration are:

Shaman's Oracle
Messenger Oracle
Sacred Rebel's Oracle
Fallen Angels Oracle
Oracle of Visions

I've browsed the forum a bit but there are so many oracles out there I know I'm missing some. I'm not interested in a light, fluffy oracle for this, nor am I interested in diaphanous angels or girly fairies. I'm looking for a deck that's deep, grounded, and will be able to help me deepen my practice with the cards.

Thanks! :)

Padma

You could try any of Colette Baron-Reid's decks, though out of the lot of them, I like her Avalon deck the best, for inner work.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wisdom-of-avalon/

Opinions differ on her best so far. But Avalon was one of her first, before she began to morph into a Doreen Virtue deck-dispensing clone (my opinion only! Not trying to start a war about it!)

Ok...there is also the gentle but deep Vintage Wisdom:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vintage-wisdom-oracle/

There is our own Linnie's A'HA oracle, most excellent!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/aha/

A lot of people have it, including me, and can tell you just how good it is :) Very deep with Universal insights, and a great tool for digging around inside yourself. :) So, just a few more suggestions for your list.

The Mary-El tarot deck works awesomely as an oracle, I hear, if you trim off the borders. I understand several people do that, and love it as a shamanistic oracle. Here is a link to see the cards, though some have changed and this is the original version. The cards now have a black border, and the Hierophant and Star card have changed:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mary-el/

A lot of people also use the trimmed (titles off) Wildwood deck as an oracle, too.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wildwood/ though personally, I think it has too much RWS influence on the minors to be of much value that way.

Seems to me that the way you are talking, the Mary El completely trimmed, or the A'HA would be your cup of tea :)

Some ideas for you :)

2_Journey

Inner work! That's the phrase I was looking for but couldn't place it. Thanks for the recommendations.

Funnily enough I had been thinking earlier today that the trimmed Mary-El might be just what I'm looking for. I've had it in my amazon cart forever so now might be time to pull the trigger.

I've also been looking at Colette Baron-Reid's decks, though I was gravitating more towards the Enchanted Map Oracle.

I hadn't seen the Vintage Wisdom Oracle or the A'Ha oracle. They both look fantastic as well. Ugh - So many fantastic cards! Decisions, decisions :) I'll probably sleep on it, but right now I'm strongly leaning toward the Mary-El.

Nisha

I recently purchased the Sacred Rebels Oracle for inner work and it has been very impactful in the short time I have worked with it. It is supportive yet makes you dig deeper to confront and accept aspects of the self. I highly recommend it!

I've got the Enchanted Map Oracle as well but haven't had a chance to delve into it. It definitely has a beautiful vibe and I am looking forward to exploring it.

Go with your gut when choosing. :)

2_Journey

Good to know the Sacred Rebel oracle is good for inner work. Sounds like you're having a profound experience with it! Unfortunately it's sold out on amazon right now (was planning to use amazon points for the purchase). Definitely one to watch for when it comes back in stock.

Glass Owl

I recently purchased the Sacred Rebels Oracle for inner work and it has been very impactful in the short time I have worked with it. It is supportive yet makes you dig deeper to confront and accept aspects of the self. I highly recommend it!

I agree, this deck is really good for personal growth and introspection. I find her Isis Oracle very empowering too.

Colette Baron Reid's new deck Oracle of Wisdom is excellent for clear answers and digging deep. I find it is a joy to work with because it is very approachable and easy to read. You can give this deck (and along with three of her others) a spin by using the free online reading generator available on her site.

http://colettebaronreid.com/the-daily-oracle-cards-wisdom-pick/

Nisha

Good to know the Sacred Rebel oracle is good for inner work. Sounds like you're having a profound experience with it! Unfortunately it's sold out on amazon right now (was planning to use amazon points for the purchase). Definitely one to watch for when it comes back in stock.

Oh, It has definitely been an incredible experience so far! I don't think I've ever had this kind of synergy with a deck before so I am very grateful. I do hope you can get your hands on it soon.

2_Journey

I agree, this deck is really good for personal growth and introspection. I find her Isis Oracle very empowering too.

I hadn't seen the Isis Oracle before! I love Ancient Egyptian mythology, so this is is very cool.

I looked at Wisdom of the Oracle but was turned off by the number of fairies in it. Do you find them distracting?

2_Journey

Oh, It has definitely been an incredible experience so far! I don't think I've ever had this kind of synergy with a deck before so I am very grateful. I do hope you can get your hands on it soon.

Thanks! I think I'll place my order with amazon now so when it's back in stock it'll ship automatically. Then it'll be a nice surprise when it shows up :)

Glass Owl

I hadn't seen the Isis Oracle before! I love Ancient Egyptian mythology, so this is is very cool.

I looked at Wisdom of the Oracle but was turned off by the number of fairies in it. Do you find them distracting?
I don't find the fairies distracting, in fact I don't really notice them to be honest. The fairies doesn't have anything to do with actual messages of the cards.