Wirth-influenced decks

Teheuti

What decks would you consider to have been influenced by the Oswald Wirth designs?

shaveling

Someone who used to post here said the sphinx on the Papess' throne in the Rodes-Sanchez TdM was taken from Wirth's deck. Although the creature is rendered differently in the two pictures, I'm inclined to agree with her. I haven't really looked at the R-S trumps to see if there are any other Wirthy bits.

Teheuti

Thanks. I'll try to check that out.

Lady Iron Side

The Medieval Scapini deck is influence by Wirth, if this deck counts.

venicebard

Someone who used to post here said the sphinx on the Papess' throne in the Rodes-Sanchez TdM was taken from Wirth's deck.
Interesting. I should think that a card whose design was influenced by the Wirth would no longer be what one could with a straight face call Tarot de Marseille. So it surprises me a deck such as Rodes-Sanchez (which makes claims, does it not, to being the Spanish version of TdM?) would have borrowed from Wirth: would it not be more plausible (I'm just askin', to quote the B52s) to think that the Wirth might have been influenced by a particular regional version of TdM (i.e. the R-S)?

Teheuti

Wirth says he sought to restore the medieval 'hieroglyphic' purity of the tarot - as expressed by the stone cutters of the great cathedrals.

However, he occasionally inserted something from Paul Christian and then there is the ubiquitous, symbolic flower. Certainly Wirth's deck owes much to 19th century occult ideas rather than an absolute medieval purity of design.

Sumada

Off the top of my head there are the Knapp Hall, the titles of which look remarkably similar to Wirth's 1889 tarot with their yellow rectangles, the Tarot d'Agolance and the Lasenic Tarot.

Teheuti

Thanks, Sumada. Definitely the Knapp-Hall! I knew about the d'Agolance, but I hadn't thought about the Lasenic Tarot. I appreciate your mentioning these.

Mary

Le Fanu

Somebody has to say it. The Universal Wirth. I know, crap suggestion, but it's true!

Teheuti

Somebody has to say it. The Universal Wirth. I know, crap suggestion, but it's true!
Of course. It would have helped, though, if the artist had read Wirth's book and knew that particular symbols were essential to the meaning of this deck. For instance, it's very important that the flower is just a bud on the Magician - but the LoS deck it's full blown. It could have been a decent deck but for these oversights. I even like the matching with the Picard Minors although the suit/element correspondences are not matched.