Kipper "Fin de Siécle"

cirom

I have no idea hhich is the right sub forum for this. So mods move it as appropriate.
A promo video, to show the mood, feel and style of a project I'm hoping to finish in a couple of months. https://youtu.be/6Wqjb_OPH48

Padma

Wow! November can't come soon enough! :D :party:

I love the artwork, Ciro - and love how you have shown how you create the faces (which are beautiful, and expressive!)

Good luck with the project - nice to see such a dignified renewal of the Kipper cards! :thumbsup:

reall

Wow! Fantastic characters cards!:)) as expected! That lady n gent are my fav ever! Luv to see that kid again so cute! N Love how you did house n steampunk touch! It's on my fav list!

thank you for updates!^^ this make my day!^^ I think you hit bulls eye with this style!^^
looking forward to see more!^^ :))

p.s I'm sorry to say this but now I really wish you to make tarot deck in same style! facepalm ;))

Cocobird55

Looks wonderful. Looking forward to buying it.

Chiska

Sweet!! Good luck with your new project. I can't wait to see the finished deck.

reall

fan facts

Re: Occupation Card

this card traditionally shows man character to represent *hard work* so blacksmith or mechanic/man or woman/ will go perfectly with stampunk theme!^^ XD note mystical kipper is more advanced with added women to help working in field!^^ but here we have a lady!^^ ;))/ and that is social evolution!^^ lolz :)) but shamefully most of the woman these days/including me/ would be wth is that *mysterious machine*? lolz so imo she should be making a cake!^^ that's something everyone familiar with!^^ :)))

cirom

Hi reall. I see you have posted images of your favorites which are pretty much all the ones currently on my site, so i guess thats a good sign :) but I also think direct comparisons with the traditional deck is going to cause raised eyebrows and disappointments. Thats why my promo video quite deliberately starts by stating that this project is an "adaption". Its not meant to be a faithful prettying up of the original images. No doubts others may do that in the future if it turns out that Kipper enjoys some kind of renewed public interest. But that isn't an approach I'm interested in.

I wanted to retell the basic story but from a different perspective. I have taken the liberty of transporting the setting of this project from its original German Biedermeier to Britain's Victorian era. Its not meant to be steampunk although that seems to be an automatic connection nowadays with anything Victorian. There are a lot of social, moral and economic similarities between the two periods, although the Victorian one does provide more extremes and those extremes will be depicted in my version of these cards. In the process I have sought the advise and opinion of several experienced readers and authors of Kipper. Not all are in agreement with the specific meanings of each card. This "occupation' card as I have named it for the time being does mean manual labor but not necessarily the hardest in physical terms. as such it can be more gender neutral. A woman working on a sewing machine is appropriate because it provides a scene of working for an employer i.e. in a factory which was very much the case in those times, or it could be working from home. Whereas baking a cake would be too representative of a domestic scene and a female one. I think in this way there is a balance between the traditional Kipper and situations that readers and querants of either gender might find easier to relate to in their own contemporary world.

There are several cards in my deck (indeed even additional ones), which are far more extreme than this example in their variation from the original deck. I will provide a rational for that in my companion document. Nevertheless with that potential issue in mind, as i've indicated on my web site I have a preorder list. Nearer the time of the deck's release, I will contact everyone on that list and provide them with a link to a private page on my web site where every card will be shown. So if anyone feels that I have deviated too much from their comfort zone of what a Kipper based deck should be, they will know that before placing an order. However I'm hoping that for the majority and certainly for beginners, the meanings will be clearer than those on the original deck, (which to be honest I initially found very visually confusing). Ultimately I hope this deck will have its own independent appeal and be judged on its own merit. Meanwhile if you are interested in seeing another particular card, let me know by e-mail....

MissChiff

These cards are really impressive. I own a couple of kipper decks..but these will be very special....

reall

Hi reall. I see you have posted images of your favorites which are pretty much all the ones currently on my site, so i guess thats a good sign :) but I also think direct comparisons with the traditional deck is going to cause raised eyebrows and disappointments. Thats why my promo video quite deliberately starts by stating that this project is an "adaption". Its not meant to be a faithful prettying up of the original images. No doubts others may do that in the future if it turns out that Kipper enjoys some kind of renewed public interest. But that isn't an approach I'm interested in.

I wanted to retell the basic story but from a different perspective. I have taken the liberty of transporting the setting of this project from its original German Biedermeier to Britain's Victorian era. Its not meant to be steampunk although that seems to be an automatic connection nowadays with anything Victorian. There are a lot of social, moral and economic similarities between the two periods, although the Victorian one does provide more extremes and those extremes will be depicted in my version of these cards. In the process I have sought the advise and opinion of several experienced readers and authors of Kipper. Not all are in agreement with the specific meanings of each card. This "occupation' card as I have named it for the time being does mean manual labor but not necessarily the hardest in physical terms. as such it can be more gender neutral. A woman working on a sewing machine is appropriate because it provides a scene of working for an employer i.e. in a factory which was very much the case in those times, or it could be working from home. Whereas baking a cake would be too representative of a domestic scene and a female one. I think in this way there is a balance between the traditional Kipper and situations that readers and querants of either gender might find easier to relate to in their own contemporary world.

There are several cards in my deck (indeed even additional ones), which are far more extreme than this example in their variation from the original deck. I will provide a rational for that in my companion document. Nevertheless with that potential issue in mind, as i've indicated on my web site I have a preorder list. Nearer the time of the deck's release, I will contact everyone on that list and provide them with a link to a private page on my web site where every card will be shown. So if anyone feels that I have deviated too much from their comfort zone of what a Kipper based deck should be, they will know that before placing an order. However I'm hoping that for the majority and certainly for beginners, the meanings will be clearer than those on the original deck, (which to be honest I initially found very visually confusing). Ultimately I hope this deck will have its own independent appeal and be judged on its own merit. Meanwhile if you are interested in seeing another particular card, let me know by e-mail....

a-ha! like your explanation here!^^ factory and industrial revolution make sense!^^;)) I don't mind changes as long it's explained in book!^^ btw book for GRL was beautiful!^^:)) expecting this one to be nothing less!^^ :)) and I do like all cards so far! and would like to get those extra cards that will probably be left out off mass production edition!^^ and price seems ok for signed edition!^^ and this would be a great ny gift!^^XD ;)) but I would probably feel *guilty* to use this *signed edition*and *tempted* to preorder for x2? facepalm and I'm bit worried about shipping and tax to my country? and kipper have some *troublesome* cards as well!x.x hm interested to see how you deal with that? sure I always like to preview all cards before ordering! will be looking forward for more!:))) now on writing email,,,,;))

cirom

I won't be making the same mistake as I did with the Lenormand. For good or bad I will have the courage of my conviction this time and have any extra cards I include in the initial special edition also included in the standard editions that will follow. US Games and Königsfurt-Urania Verlag have already licensed the deck (even before they even saw a card so thats a vote of confidence), and will probably release their versions late 2016.
So if my special edition is not an option either for price or shipping convenience, then there will be these other options, it will just require patience....