How is the Moon card related to romance?

SaintOfScreams

Awww! I love that story!

Teheuti

There've been a lot of really good things said here. First, I'd like to add one more perspective - We tend to get drawn romantically (as the Moon draws the tides) to certain people because of completely unconscious, nonrational factors. These can include such things as:

* the projection of the *imago* (an image developed from early childhood that we instinctively feel will heal or complete us but, ultimately, can only be done from within ourselves - hence it is illusory).
* a karmic connection from a past life.
* biological, instinctive factors such as pheromones (the sense of smell is very Moon-like to me).
* instinctive biological drives over which we have little control, such as towards the evolutionary passing on of DNA.

The Moon card in romance suggests the potential for betrayal, although this doesn't mean that a specific relationship can't overcome or move beyond this. For instance, romance is often one stage in the development of what could be a deeper, long-lasting relationship.

Many years ago I was asked to write Romance interpretations of the Tarot for SELF Magazine. I did a lot of reading on romance to try and determine what it really was. Here are a few of my favorite quotes (sorry I don't have sources for all of them):

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving oneself, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls romance. [Oscar Wilde, _The Picture of Dorian Gray_.)

The offspring of fiction and love.

To have things not as they are but as they “ought to be.”

Love is an ancient delirium. [Diane Ackerman]

Love is a sort of traffic accident of the heart. [Ackerman]

"Denial, repression, and inhibition all feed romantic love, because people obsess about satisfying their biological drives, yet cannot avoid the confines of morality." [Ackerman]

Love blinds in order to extinuish the wrong and daily vision so that another eye may be opened that perceives from soul to soul. The blind eye of love sees through into the invisible.

Mary

magicksky

Moon as romance

Just a thought: the expression ''mooning' over somebody' might offer a clue as to the romantic effect of the Moon card in a reading. Simple I know, but very often our sayings lend many clues as to meanings.

pasara

I am not disagreeing with what has been said already, but I don't see it as negatively as most people here are suggesting. While yes, it can mean one is in a deluded state over another, we are thinking of that in a pretty extreme way I think. there is a little delusion in all love, and I'm ok with that, how 'bout you? If we look at our homely, slightly overweight partner and see them as just right, that is love talking and nothing we can do about it. who wants to rain on that parade? I think in relationship spreads there are times that the moon can mean romance of the "meet me in the garden behind the hedge at midnight" variety, (or even a one night stand?) and now and then that can be quite thrilling. Does that mean 2 kids, a dog, and a mortgage type love? no, but that's ok.

nisaba

pasara said:
there is a little delusion in all love, and I'm ok with that,
There is a little delusion in *lust* and in *attraction*. There shouldn't be in love - love is when you have gotten to know each other warts and all, probably over considerable time, and *still* find you want to be together.

I recently told a jetsetting friend whose long-term partner (they are not young) has issues with travel, that she should leave him at home. Her response was "But I rather like his company!"

After decades of his company.

*That* is what love is, not a surge of new desire.

And the Moon" Moonlight casts shadows, but they are not the same shadows that sunlight casts. When I'm driving home during the day, I can find my driveway easily. When I drive home at night I am much more tentative, because there is this illusory sense that is is a metre or two to one or the other side. Moonlight makes things look different to how they actually are, and you need to be aware of that or you'll wrap your metaphorical car around the Gatepost of Illusion. And unfortunately, two of those gateposts in romance are frequently "I can change!" or "He/she'll change for me if they really love me".

Also, beware of how Moonlight makes the same actions appear. Someone else I know asked the universe for a partner who had a whole list of qualifications, one of which was "generosity". She tells me "D." has all of those qualifications (I can't see the brain, myself). He certainly has the generosity - he spends all of his money, and some of hers, on treating anyone and everyone to whatever they want. Definitely not what she had in mind, but equally definitely what she asked for when her eyes were full of romantic Moonlight.

SirRushing

Grizabella said:
Being honest, isn't a lot of romance just illusion and dreams? Say a man sets the scene for a woman for a night:

Candles, flowers, dinner for two, soft music.

The woman walks in and she thinks "Oh gosh, he's such a romantic. He wants to bond more deeply and maybe even pop the question. Or maybe he wants to bring up getting pregnant." You choose what she might be thinking.

The man, however, has set the scene because he knows it will push certain buttons with her and get her into a mushy, gushy mood where she'll not be mad that he just bought a new sports car. And of course, may get a nice evening of sex out of the effort, too. Especially if he goes along with one of the illusions she's got about why he might have set the romantic mood. If he doesn't pop the question or say "let's make a baby", he can sidestep it with enough finesse to let her think they're on the brink of a breakthrough toward her goals.

That's a really pragmatic example, but it makes the point that romance isn't always face forward, two people on the same train going to the same destination. So that would fall under the category of the Moon card, I think.

Yes, this. A person giving the impression that they are with you for the long haul, but in actuality all they may want is a booty call. They don't see you as a marriage partner at all. Meanwhile, you are thinking that this person is THE ONE.

Tansey Ella

Thirteen. that was just so beautiful. Moonlight and lovers- that will get you high. sigh, I am a hopeless romantic.

Tansey Ella

I found a song that says it so well.

"As Time Goes By" from the movie Casablanca

You must remember this

A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.

The fundamental things apply

As time goes by.

And when two lovers woo

They still say, "I love you."

On that you can rely

No matter what the future brings

As time goes by.

Moonlight and love songs

Never out of date.

Hearts full of passion

Jealousy and hate.

Woman needs man

And man must have his mate

That no one can deny.

It's still the same old story

A fight for love and glory

A case of do or die.

The world will always welcome lovers

As time goes by.

SirRushing

nisaba said:
There is a little delusion in *lust* and in *attraction*. There shouldn't be in love - love is when you have gotten to know each other warts and all, probably over considerable time, and *still* find you want to be together.

I recently told a jetsetting friend whose long-term partner (they are not young) has issues with travel, that she should leave him at home. Her response was "But I rather like his company!"

After decades of his company.

*That* is what love is, not a surge of new desire.

And the Moon" Moonlight casts shadows, but they are not the same shadows that sunlight casts. When I'm driving home during the day, I can find my driveway easily. When I drive home at night I am much more tentative, because there is this illusory sense that is is a metre or two to one or the other side. Moonlight makes things look different to how they actually are, and you need to be aware of that or you'll wrap your metaphorical car around the Gatepost of Illusion. And unfortunately, two of those gateposts in romance are frequently "I can change!" or "He/she'll change for me if they really love me".

Also, beware of how Moonlight makes the same actions appear. Someone else I know asked the universe for a partner who had a whole list of qualifications, one of which was "generosity". She tells me "D." has all of those qualifications (I can't see the brain, myself). He certainly has the generosity - he spends all of his money, and some of hers, on treating anyone and everyone to whatever they want. Definitely not what she had in mind, but equally definitely what she asked for when her eyes were full of romantic Moonlight.

There is a thin line between lust, attraction and love actually. For all we know, your friend may not be in love. She could be just settling. Which if you really look at life, many people settle and call it love.

Growing up I use to admire at older people who have been married 50 plus years and think "Wow, they must have loved each other to be married that long while every one today is divorcing like crazy." As soon as my grandfather died, my grandmother was like "Him dying was such a relief. Now I can do my own thing. He got on my nerves." There you go. Being in "love" for 50 years of marriage. LOL

I am sure that when my grandmother met my grandfather they had the Moon illusions of "love aka lust aka attraction", but once you settle in a relationship and have kids all that romance dies because that handsome man you saw as your boyfriend and new husband is now just some man whom farts all day in the house and is too lazy to take out the garbage and you wish he would wipe his behind a little bit better after using the toilette, since you are the one who has to do the laundry and you get tired of him leaving "car tire streaks" in his underpants, which totally disgust you.

Lust is delusional. Love is delusional. Attraction is delusional. Romance is delusional. It is all the Moon when you meet someone you fall in love with. When you have stupid fantasies of "marriage happily ever after till death to us part" on your wedding day. And when you think the both of you want to have kids together because wouldn't it be cute to have a child to look like the both of you, without considering how much hard work it takes to be a parent.

It is all the Moon...no one is in love without have that big delusional fantasy of you and your significant other being together years down the road.

Moon!

Tansey Ella

Sirrushing
wow all I can say is
BREAK IT ON DOWN