the Fours

tarotbear

We continue with Lee's vision of tying in the Minors to their Major card and the Fours reflect back at the Emperor as Theatre producer, creating four unique interpretations of the cards. I am awaiting Bernadette Peters to pop out of the wings singing Sondheim ... can we tell TB is an old theatre queen?

Cups - the card of desolation has been replaced by it's modern counterpart - the theatrical audition. This is a barbaric ritualized humilation where you sing or dance or act your heart out and get told 'Thank You' (that means - don't call us we''ll call you in theatrespeak) at the end. Only one person can get the lead, so no matter how prepared you are the casting director makes a decision and cuts you out. (I know too well - I actually auditioned to be Harvey Fierstein's understudy!) The point is - you can always audition for another show tomorrow, and there is no guarantee that this production will last past opening night. Look for the possibilites in every 'loss' situation.

Coins - the Miser has been replaced by the lighting director?Oh, come on, Lee! I realize the circles of the coins and the gel frames of the lighting instruments bear a resemblence, but IMHO this misses the boat. No one goes home humming the lighting! The music, sets and choreography - maybe - and then they could have been holding four Tony Awards! They're round! I think the message on the card is too subtle.

Wands - the card about joy and stability is now LWB: " a venture has been established. Celebrating initial achievements." So - where is the celebration? The card depicts the tech crews adjusting lights and touching up the scenery - how does this image tie into it's explanation? Maybe it could have been an image of the cast after the final bow congratulating each other, popping champagne - something a little closer to the image of the people beckoning you into the card as in the RWS? In a reading I'm not sure I could explain this one to a querent if the other cards were not around it.

Swords - the card of resting or recharging one's batteries. An actor naps on four rehearsal chairs. Excellent reimaging! It you don't think doing two shows a day isn't a bitch - you've never had to do it!

Lee

tarotbear said:
Coins - the Miser has been replaced by the lighting director?Oh, come on, Lee! I realize the circles of the coins and the gel frames of the lighting instruments bear a resemblence, but IMHO this misses the boat. No one goes home humming the lighting! The music, sets and choreography - maybe - and then they could have been holding four Tony Awards! They're round! I think the message on the card is too subtle.

Wands - the card about joy and stability is now LWB: " a venture has been established. Celebrating initial achievements." So - where is the celebration? The card depicts the tech crews adjusting lights and touching up the scenery - how does this image tie into it's explanation? Maybe it could have been an image of the cast after the final bow congratulating each other, popping champagne - something a little closer to the image of the people beckoning you into the card as in the RWS? In a reading I'm not sure I could explain this one to a querent if the other cards were not around it.
What I had in mind for these two was:

Coins: The lighting director controls his environment, just as the rich man does. On a deeper level, it's about controlling one's own or others' perceptions of reality. The rich man is successful at manifesting his map of reality so that it becomes (seemingly) rock solid for himself and the people around him. Likewise, the lighting director makes people see through his eyes; he controls what they see.

Wands: The months of rehearsal are over and finally the stage is being set for the actual performance. From my own theatrical experiences, seeing this being done is what finally drives home that the show will actually go on, that it's a reality and soon the cast will be facing an actual audience. For me this anticipatory excitement was more exciting than the performance itself! The image of the final bow, I think, might have been too final, since the show is then over. I wanted to stress an initial achievement.

-- Lee