Cartomancy- preferred method?

wulzcat

*smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that before! It's been my goal to learn how to read playing cards for some time now, and I've even been purchasing interesting decks with the hopes that one will inspire me, but thus far I've been too nervous to really jump into it. The lack of pictures is quite intimidating. But after I read your post, I realized that playing cards are so readily available and cheap that I could certainly buy a "training wheels" deck and scrawl all over it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, I'm just using an ordinary deck I had lying about the house - it works great, and I have ordered a couple of fancy-looking decks too but that's just for the heck of it! Writing on the cards was actually the suggestion by Phoenix Rising (who I'm not sure is still active on the boards?) in her thread on card meanings that I posted in my original post above. :)

It's quite a good thing to do too, I think, because you feel a much more personal connection with the cards when you've actually written on them... it's like they *really* belong to you now, and bear your marks!

Metafizzypop

Is there more than this online? I liked this stuff but the 'red good black bad' doesn't quite feel intuitively right to me so I don't know. Well actually it feels *intuitively* right, as in the colours work that way in my psyche, but since clubs are associated with fire, well their being black in the first place doesn't feel quite right! But clubs as fire don't feel 'bad' to me so that's my sticking point with what little I've seen of the hedgewitchery method but maybe that's not so important. Or am I missing the point of hedgewitchery?! I'd be very interested to know more... :D

In the Hedgewytchery system, Clubs are Earth and Diamonds are Fire, so I can see why you're having a little trouble. I was a bit baffled at first myself.

BTW, thanks for the idea of writing the meanings on the cards. I have a plain deck of playing cards already conveniently sitting in a drawer that I can use. What a great idea!

Bhavana

Yes, I'm just using an ordinary deck I had lying about the house - it works great, and I have ordered a couple of fancy-looking decks too but that's just for the heck of it!

I orginally learned to read with regular cards - but I find them very dull to read with now. I'm a very visual person - need more stimulation than what is on a regular playing deck..hence, I am now looking at and becoming interested in the transformation decks - transformation means that the hearts, clubs, etc are still in there regular place, but drawings are done around them, often incorporating them into the art. There are also semi-transformational decks, where the hearts, clubs, diamonds are still worked into the art, but can be anywhere on the card - such as with this deck, which I just got this week:

http://adnil.com/CARDS/keys.html

intuitive readers can work with the imagery, and they are just more fun to look at.

Thanks for all the links that have been provided here - I am brushing up on my regular card reading skills. I used to have pretty good book, but I gave it away and can only remember that the cover was blue and that there were cards on it. Ha.

wulzcat

In the Hedgewytchery system, Clubs are Earth and Diamonds are Fire, so I can see why you're having a little trouble. I was a bit baffled at first myself.

that helps a lot, Metafizzypop, thanks. I didn't realise that and it makes perfect sense...!

wulzcat

I orginally learned to read with regular cards - but I find them very dull to read with now. I'm a very visual person - need more stimulation than what is on a regular playing deck..hence, I am now looking at and becoming interested in the transformation decks - transformation means that the hearts, clubs, etc are still in there regular place, but drawings are done around them, often incorporating them into the art. There are also semi-transformational decks, where the hearts, clubs, diamonds are still worked into the art, but can be anywhere on the card - such as with this deck, which I just got this week:

http://adnil.com/CARDS/keys.html

intuitive readers can work with the imagery, and they are just more fun to look at.

Interesting cards! I do read tarot imagery intuitively but at the moment am really enjoying the way the numbers and shapes and colours of the regular playing deck are speaking to me, it's like they are becoming a language in my mind in their own right. I really love it. It feels interpretatively very 'clean' and not as if I am working with someone else's (the artist's) interpretation.

For variety, I love all the different types of playing card decks you can get... such as the Red Dragon.

http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//66/394/66394742_Bicycle294.jpg

Although I am currently bidding on some very bizarre vintage cards on Ebay with some very peculiar images - if I win them I will post some pics! :D

Bhavana

Interesting cards! I do read tarot imagery intuitively but at the moment am really enjoying the way the numbers and shapes and colours of the regular playing deck are speaking to me, it's like they are becoming a language in my mind in their own right. I really love it. It feels interpretatively very 'clean' and not as if I am working with someone else's (the artist's) interpretation.

For variety, I love all the different types of playing card decks you can get... such as the Red Dragon.

http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/2//66/394/66394742_Bicycle294.jpg

Although I am currently bidding on some very bizarre vintage cards on Ebay with some very peculiar images - if I win them I will post some pics! :D

I've seen these red cards - there are also other colors by the same publisher - a bright green deck, a blue, a black....
If you like the more bizarre or vintage playing cards, check out this thread, where we have been talking about and linking to them this week:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=156835