Does tarot attract any (bad) spirits?

gregory

Aerin said:
don't believe everything you hear from other people

and

if YOU think it is wrong for YOU then don't do it.

Aerin x

ps don't cats sometimes attack frogs? ;)
YES ! (and Ouija boards are something I won't touch either.)

I am still here - and full of frog.}) We can also face up and outstare our demons !

Nevada

Wow this thread has stayed alive longer than I expected, and changed course a little. Someone many posts back mentioned rituals and the other thread where people talk about routines they engage in before reading. I think I posted in that other thread and mentioned I might pick up a particular routine myself. But for me it wouldn't be for protection. For me a ritual is about focusing the mind, not any belief in a need for protection. I think nisaba's point about just nurturing happiness is right on. For me, keeping fear at bay has always been the answer -- even to fear itself. (To twist someone else's words around. ;) )

The only residual effect I've felt from a reading that might be considered negative by some, but not by me, is something like a connection to the person I read for. Sometimes that makes me feel a bit edgy or anxious afterward. But it's simply a no-longer-needed connection. I do have a little visualization/prayer for harmlessly snipping those threads, but not because I think anything evil is happening, only because it's a residual connection we don't need any longer. Sometimes it takes more than once to completely shed the feeling -- maybe because the other person is still thinking about the reading, still connected somehow. That's fine. Eventually the feeling is gone, and I'm on with my life, as I'm sure they're on with theirs.

It may be more about my own feelings of empathy than anything else. I think I have a tendency to be an unconscious empath -- something I'm working on. So now, after having experienced that sticky connection at times, I try to keep my mind from the start of the reading on not *doing* anything more than read the cards as requested. Really nothing else is any of my business. I also try to keep everything on the level of unconditional love, no judgments, no desire to change the other person. My job is just to interpret, not to advise, fix, change, or tell anyone how to live their life.

Perhaps the friend mentioned in the first post got into the habit of trying to "fix" other people's lives. That's not a good place to go with Tarot, IMO. I think it's best to just read, and let them be the ones to decide what needs fixing or not. When we meddle in other people's lives, no matter how good our intentions, we're asking for trouble. After all, who of us is perfect enough to think we know how to go mucking around in others' lives? I have enough to do managing my own, thank you.

gregory

I can relate to that; the only times I have ever felt icky afterwards was when I had seen something I really didn't like..... Not that it was evil, just - say - that things were not going to turn out well.....

olivia1

faithnlight said:
If at all, I personally feel the cards may pick on others energies…nothing more or less…
About attracting spirits LOL! Iam wondering how this really came about in the first place…What stirred up such a talk? It couldn’t have come out of vacuum? Iam not saying cards attract spirits but iam really pondering why do people hold this so strongly?

Tanu

Maybe because there are so many people out there who want to believe it. It probably makes some people feel special to say they work with spirits? That's just a guess. I have no clue. I guess some legitimately do work with spirits but I don't know if every tarot reader does. I recently joined a group for mediums because I briefly believed that I accidentally acted as a medium(long story). Someone actually told me:

"If you don't want to be a medium and don't like the spirits to enter into your life you need to stop calling to them. Using the cards no matter how you are using them will call to the spirits good and bad if you are not doing them correctly. Tarot cards and the wegi board are not toys. They need to be used with great care and knowledge."

She was actually being serious, too. The sad thing was, if it wasn't for AT (and all my non eventful tarot experiences), I would have probably believed her. On a side note, some of the mediums on that forum also genuinely believe they can communicate with extraterrestrial aliens. Not knocking those who believe that they can...I just really find it hard to believe. But to each their own.

SunChariot

yagger said:
"Doing tarot can screw up other people's destiny or that of yourself. Since bad spirits can be around you during the devination and make you draw ominous cards. Especially when you don't channel your energy properly, bad spirits will be attracted to you. After drawing the ominous cards, the spirits will actually want to make the cards come true as well! Even if you asked things for someone that is not present during the devination, bad spirits can be sent to that person to screw up his destiny that wasn't supposed to be like that.."

That sounds pretty severe. How much of it do you think is true?

One of the first things we learn as Tarot readers is that the future is not set in stone. And the future(s) predicted by the cards can change. And in fact we can purposely change them ourselves. If we don't care for the future that the cards predicts we can usually change that.

The first thing this says is there is no such thing as destiny most times. We all have free will and can create whatever we want to of our lives. There are some cases where something is coming that is a life lesson we really do need and then it can't be avoided. But these times are rare and they are always for our own best interest.

So first of all there really is no "destiny" that can be screwed up. Destiny usually is not a factor at all and we are usually free to create whatever we want of our lives.

The cards are pieces of paper, they don't attract anything. Only the reader him/herself has that power. You can only attract negative energy to you if you go looking for it or try to attract it. You can't do it accidentally.

If you send out positive energy that is what will come back. If you ask that your answer come from a source of light and love, and or from you angels (if that fits into your belief system) then that is where they will come from.

In my experience, my answers have always been completley full of light and love. I have never ever seen anything else show up in my cards. My cards are a tool through which I contact the Divine and find out what it has to ell me and others.

I did once hear of a reader on AT who asked for her answer to come from "the spirit world" not specifying if she wanted them to come from positiive of negative spirits. I heard she got some strange answers that way. And a lot of people at AT asking her why she would ever want to ask from answers from that source.

But the point is the answers WILL come from exacltly where you ask and expect them to come from. I know mine come from G-d and the angels. And that is what I think the truth is about what your friend said.

Babs

SunChariot

olivia1 said:
If you don't want to be a medium and don't like the spirits to enter into your life you need to stop calling to them.
Exactly.

Babs

olivia1

If you don't want to be a medium and don't like the spirits to enter into your life you need to stop calling to them.

According to those mediums, I would have the spirit around me until I solved the murder or find peace for the spirit I accidentally contacted. Until he found peace, I wouldn't find it, either. Well, I decided today that this whole thing was ridiculous and I do not believe in ghosts/spritits or spiritual contacts.I do not believe I was ever a medium for any spirit. Then (just like that) the feelings of uneasiness, the emotional drain, and the dreams stopped. I really do believe that spirits can be attracted- but only if you believe they can be. The mind is pretty powerful and will give you what you look for.

SunChariot

Oh I thought you had to actually call to them before a reading...like "Spirits, come answer this question for me." Somethign I woudl never do. I ask from my ansnwers from my angels personally.

Babs

olivia1

SunChariot said:
Oh I thought you had to actually call to them before a reading...like "Spirits, come answer this question for me." Somethign I woudl never do. I ask from my ansnwers from my angels personally.

Babs

Exactly what I thought. I used to think this talk about tarot attracting spirits stemmed from the religious sector. I am really surprised to see that it also comes from some tarot readers. A tarot reader/psychic medium is actually angry at me because I told her that I believe "it takes more than walking into Barnes and Noble, picking out a deck, and laying out some cards to get spirits to come to you. "

Nevada

olivia1 said:
Exactly what I thought. I used to think this talk about tarot attracting spirits stemmed from the religious sector. I am really surprised to see that it also comes from some tarot readers. A tarot reader/psychic medium is actually angry at me because I told her that I believe "it takes more than walking into Barnes and Noble, picking out a deck, and laying out some cards to get spirits to come to you. "
I think it's not the cards but our own activity and processes with them that might attract spirits. But I don't think of spirits as "bad" because I believe that in the spiritual realm there is no good and bad. It's here in our dualistic world that we define good and evil as separate things. They're two sides of the same coin though -- light and shadow.

I do think it's wise to be aware of when one might be attracting spirits, but I don't think Tarot in and of itself attracts them any more than any other object we use. It's we ourselves that attract them or not, and we don't need cards or any other object to do that.

Tarot is as good or evil as the person using it -- just as a hammer can be used for good or ill.