How effective would using unconventional reading methods be?

Darth MI

A friend of mine who I meet in a local spirituality club has a rather strange way of reading cards. Rather than taking from the top of the decks, he literally picks up cards from the bottom of the decks.

Quite recently I began to experiment with various techniques. One method I dabbled with is little flipping a randomly selected card and seeing if it lands upside down or upwards and thus far this method I developed helped me make some very important decisions.

Because I plan to make a thread related to this, I will stop here.

In fact as opposed to other spiritualist arts like Alchemy and Astrology, I notice there is quite little emphasis of reading methods outside the stereotypical Celtic Cross set ups.

So I am curious is there anything wrong with creating new metholodgies or altering existing ones to read tarot cards? Would say creating a new unique spread of your own artistry ruin or destroy the energies and messages the cards are trying to give you?

What about using cards in ways absolutely not related to tarots such as the card flipping I developed or even placing tarot cards like poker hands and interpreting via poker methods like straight flush in combination with tarot description cards (not lying I know one person who does this)?

Is there a reason why most readers stick with Celtic and very few even among experts try to rebel against tradition and create new styles? Why does tarot seem to lag behind?

Astrology, alchemy, and many divinitory stuff in their modern revivals have had modern experts use their creativity to create new styles. For example there are modern astrologers who are already rushing to add new asteroids to the chart interpretation and alchemists are using modern scientific formulas and discoveries to come up with new elixirs and formulas to the pre-existing traditions.

Chrystella

The Celtic Cross spread is popular because it comes in the little white book of what may be the most popular tarot deck in the world, the Rider Waite Smith. It is perhaps the most recognisable spread and so I think a lot of people expect to see their reader using it. However, I don't think that the Celtic Cross spread is the go-to spread for most people most of the time in their tarot work. I use my tarot cards every day and I can't remember the last time I used the Celtic Cross spread for myself. Usually I draw one, two, or three cards for reflection and meditation. The Celtic Cross would be overkill for my purposes.

I don't agree that tarot lags behind other esoteric practices or is lacking in the development of new spreads. New tarot decks sometimes offer new spreads. The Deviant Moon and its Lunatic spread, for example, or the Wildwood Tarot and its World Tree spread. There are over 100 pages of threads exploring spreads here: http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=56. I think it's great the people create new spreads or change existing ones.

headincloud

Hi Darth lol you seem a bit off the wall and I like it a lot!! TBH I think there are as many styles and methods as there are tarot readers but I guess we all start out along the lines of traditional spreads and rote meanings in order to get some sort of grounding and feel for the cards, I'm an advanced beginner now or so I like to think anyway :)

As for spreads I'm constantly playing but besides the CCross which is the only one I've ever learned I haven't settled with any spreads or methods that feel comfortable yet and I don't tend to like positional spreads anyway because they're too restrictive.

What I'm finding myself doing is simple cuts as I'm reading so for example in the spread there's a 3 person situation of conflict involving the sitter but I don't know whether it's family, close friends, community etc so I'll ask the pack in what area and just cut and glance, but I may ask the pack 10 clarifying questions around the original 5 card spread. This may seem unnecessary but if we consider the cards are pointing at more than one interpretation, usually at least 3 then we may want to open up along the lines of one at a time and we don't want to lay 3 separate spreads for snap clues and answers else we'd get in a right pickle.

I think most would disagree with this as a reading method and I wouldn't blame them cos it's another one of my half baked theories. It can get confusing but providing you can see the base situation you're really just extending the spread in all angles. Not much use if we don't understand the initial spread and start looking for clarifiers because to my mind it's difficult to clarify confusion by adding to it but each to their own, really anything goes as far as I'm concerned because there is no right and wrong which is the beauty of tarot, I don't believe we stumble on the key walking somebody else's footprints because it's a sole journey. AMEN

dancing_moon

Is there a reason why most readers stick with Celtic and very few even among experts try to rebel against tradition and create new styles? Why does tarot seem to lag behind?

To be honest, I haven't noticed that. :confused: Most readers I see here on AT and elsewhere are very open-minded and creative, and the Celtic Cross seems to have as many haters as it has fans. A quick look through the Spreads section and Reading Exchanges should confirm that.

Personally, I think it's not so much a question of method as it is a question of methodological consistency and meaningfulness. So, as long as your readings are objective, coherent and produce useful answers to your questions, you can even toss Tarot cards like dice or build card houses with them. :shhh:

Farzon

What about using cards in ways absolutely not related to tarots such as the card flipping I developed or even placing tarot cards like poker hands and interpreting via poker methods like straight flush in combination with tarot description cards (not lying I know one person who does this)?

Then, of course, the Tarot Police will be knocking at your door soon! 😉

Do what thou wilt, said Aleister Crowley. And it pretty much holds true for the Tarot. Before the Celtic Cross there were many other ways to read the cards - mostly non-positional. Positional spreads were a modern thing back then, enhancing the reading styles. Today, they seem to be a restriction as positional spreads (mostly similar ones) are presented in every LWB.

The CC is a great spread, but it's far from useful for every question. To be honest, I think there are some variations of the CC that are more useful to determine general influences - e.g. the Magna Diamond in the Tarot of the Spirit or the Secret of the High Priestess by Hajo Banzhaf.

Designing own spreads and methods of reading can be very challenging but it is also very enriching. To your readings in the first place and to the community as well, when you share your thoughts here! Sometimes it can be even necessary to design a unique spread for a specific question! And I like the idea of a Poker reading. If I understood something about Poker, I would try it myself immediately! 😀

Laurelle

I was not aware that most readers use the celtic cross. I actually rarely use it. I create my own spreads. I write it on a piece of paper with each position given a meaning. I keep that right beside the reading on the table.

I have made up a lot of spreads that have worked for me over the years. My favorite shapes are a horseshoe and just lines. I also read right to left. My future position is usually towards the left.

When I need a clarifying reading during an actual reading, I read the cards like a story. I won't let the querent shuffle this time. I shuffle and cut the cards into three sections. I pull the cards from the top.

Besides the rare clarifying reading, I always fan the cards out on the table. You pick from there. I never draw the cards from a progression after shuffling. It's based on your own intuitive/subconscious pull.

gregory

I NEVER use the Celtic Cross. I would if someone demanded it - but most of the time it is far too complex - and also rather limiting - to be helpful. I mostly make up my own spreads depending on what I need - or lay the cards in a line to tell a story. The fact that such a complex spread seems to show up in almost every deck set annoys me and many others here - it puts off any number of new readers.

I notice there is quite little emphasis of reading methods outside the stereotypical Celtic Cross set ups.
I am amazed at this. Have you SEEN the spreads area here ? I'd actuially say a minority of people here use the CC regularly.

3ill.yazi

Granted that the CC is a bigger spread and more involved to do, but judging by the Exchanges section here, the three-card (and even one-card) seems to be more popular.

I used to do the CC more, but as I'm studying Tarot de Marseilles lately, it's a lot of nonpositional spreads.

tarotbear

I don't understand how an 'unconventional' reading method would be ineffective - one does not lead to the other. All readers put their own 'spin' on what they do. They read all the standard Tarot Handbooks in 'Tarot 101' and decided that something was just too complicated or too corny or too (fill in the blank) and modified what they were told to personalize it - or just to make it make some practical sense.

I modified the CC so the Querent would have an easier time of understanding the reading without that 'Crowns him, Before him, Beneath him' crapola ... why not just skip that ridiculous Significator nonsense - say 'the Past, the Present, the Future'?

Just my two centavos .....

caz241

I have never used the Celtic Cross. I'm quite happy without it, using my own spreads or those I've found here and other places. As for picking cards from the bottom, why not? Or the middle, or a mixture. It's whatever works for you.

Recently I've tried to read without a deck of cards, but by "seeing" (for want of a better word) which card/s come into my mind for a person. So far so good :)