The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

HearthCricket

What an excellent review! You have me bouncing in my chair I can't wait for mine to arrive...probably tomorrow. The box alone makes it worth my while, and all those goodies, but I am particularly excited about the more muted colours, so I think it is going to really touch my heart. Thank you for all the information and photos!

Antonius

As for the images, yes Virginia they are from the Pam A. The only sort-a issue I have is that many of them look like they are reproductions of pictures of the deck if that makes any sense. Like if you take a picture of a card then print out the picture as opposed to having placed the card on a scanner and taken it like that. It’s not on all cards but on a bunch of them enough to make it distracting. This also makes some of the fine lines blur a little. Here is a scan of what I’m talking about. (PCS 100 on the Left/ A Pam A Crackle back on the right.)
Thank you for a nice review, the only issue I have is that you say they are from Pam A , but is or was that the intention to be exact copy's of the Pam A crackle back, I'm not so sure, they look to me to be copy's of the Roses/lilies deck which has more muted less bright colours, and if that's so they look almost identical to the scans I have seen. Should we be making comparisons with the Pam A crackled back which is clearly a different colour tone altogether, but the Rose/lilies deck does look more aged and if that's the case they are great reproductions of that deck, in the commemorative it would seem they have done a great job.
Please do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no expert in all this dating of A B C & D decks ect, I'm just commenting on previous scans from other threads. In short the commemorative would appear to be copy's of the Pam A rose/lilie backed and not the Pam A crackled back. All gets confusing to me the more I read about it all, the photos you have shown look great and a very worthy set to own.
Once again nice review and I look forward to receiving my PCS 100.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/Antonius2009/PamAroselilies2.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/Antonius2009/hermit.jpg

Le Fanu

starlight, what a wonderful, interactive review! Just what we need to whet our appetite for when we receive it! Those pics speak volumes, they really helped me get a sense of the whole package. Im not a Pam ABCDEFG nerd so I don't have anything to compare it to. LOL, but I think whatever it looks like, it will be in interesting addition to mass market RWS decks.

Id rather not have all the clutter (it will be my third copy of the Pictorial Key to the Tarot. I mean, how many does one need?), the postcards and stuff, but I suppose PCS deserves such a celebration. And I do hold to what I said before, which is how firm and fluid the line of her non-tarot stuff is, which really makes me think that something quite serious happened with the reproduction of the RWS deck, the plates, the colouring, the outline.

starlightexp

It is supposed to be from the Rose and Lilly but they still look washed out even next to the scans that you have posted. It's not a bad edition by any means and I whole heartedly think people should get it but I just wish they had cleaned up the cards and made them like they did when first issued as opposed to aging them

Cerulean

Hello Antonius--Great Thread Starlightexp....

First, great great review and samples Starlightexp!

Someday when my Centennial copy arrives, I can see what everyone has been saying....until then, am eagerly following the wonderful commentary.

Antonius, you are not the only one 'confused'...I read from Roppo the following in another thread and believed we should be checking a Rose and Lily edition if we can:

From Roppo
My understanding is that the Commemorative deck is the reproduction of "Pam-A Rose & Lily" with new back design. As to the touch and lamination, I can say Commemorative deck is less glaring compared to the (original Rider Waite) ORW:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg twohermits.jpg (194.7 KB, 57 views)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1825930&postcount=199

Antonius said:
Thank you for a nice review, the only issue I have is that you say they are from Pam A , but is or was that the intention to be exact copy's of the Pam A crackle back, I'm not so sure, they look to me to be copy's of the Roses/lilies deck which has more muted less bright colours, and if that's so they look almost identical to the scans I have seen. Should we be making comparisons with the Pam A crackled back which is clearly a different colour tone altogether, but the Rose/lilies deck does look more aged and if that's the case they are great reproductions of that deck, in the commemorative it would seem they have done a great job.
Please do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no expert in all this dating of A B C & D decks ect, I'm just commenting on previous scans from other threads. In short the commemorative would appear to be copy's of the Pam A rose/lilie backed and not the Pam A crackled back. All gets confusing to me the more I read about it all, the photos you have shown look great and a very worthy set to own.
Once again nice review and I look forward to receiving my PCS 100.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/Antonius2009/PamAroselilies2.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/Antonius2009/hermit.jpg

I hope I didn't confuse the issue...am checking the exact quote and links from Roppo...I may delete/edit this when I get my own copy soon to see...I'm going to be comparing to an A crackle-back and one of those almost 1971 early 'true-color' Sybil Waite editions for a Rose and Lily version.

Cerulean

HearthCricket

OMG..my set came, today, and it is gorgeous! The people no longer have measles! Yay! I love the muted tea-stain colouring to this deck. In spite of the fact that I love working with jewel toned decks, this is easy on the eyes and has such a Victorian flavour to it. I love the waxy, non super glossy lamination. It reminds me of the Paulina, so maybe the same thing? How nice it would be if they made all their decks with this finish from now on. Much more similar to the old USG decks. Kudos to them for that.

The box, postcards, photo, books, everything is just magical. A step into tarot history and they really did a stellar job on it. You may not think you need these extras, but once you have it, it is like holding a very special moment in history for divination. The baby blue organza bag is a moment of "huh?" in the set, and now I want to find the perfect bag for this deck. I love it. I adore it! This deck is just begging for major shuffling and readings by someone in a shawl, with a candle, and a fringed table, a crystal ball...in the back of a caravan, from a travelling Dark Carnival. :D

Cerulean

I would like to see HC's 1910 staging of the deck

..As her settings stun me as glorious inspiration...I am happily awaiting the set, as I was notified by Anazon it should come by Friday or Saturday.

I will compare as noted before...but there tends to be a strong blue cast to the light on my favorite porch settings, so will have to check if pictures come clear...meantime I located 1O of 13/14 Viscontis for another tarot project, so will need another small storage for the appropriate PCS decks for comparison...will return later..

starlightexp

Cerulean said:
..As her settings stun me as glorious inspiration...I am happily awaiting the set, as I was notified by Anazon it should come by Friday or Saturday.

I will compare as noted before...but there tends to be a strong blue cast to the light on my favorite porch settings, so will have to check if pictures come clear...meantime I located 1O of 13/14 Viscontis for another tarot project, so will need another small storage for the appropriate PCS decks for comparison...will return later..

Oooooooo do tell of that project!!!! I love the Visconti

midniteeye

just placed my order with amazon after seeing the availability status go from in stock may 17th to usually ship in 2 to 4 weeks. this item should sell out quickly, given the demand.

Queen of Disks

I have to get me one of these!