78-D-W: Is there a difference between the separate and combined editions?

HeidiAussie

Hi all,

I am thinking of bidding on the following

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2167765606&category=1340

The 2 78DW books and a RW deck.
Is there a difference between the content in the 2 books and the new-ish single combined edition? Ie. updates, improved references, additional text, etc.

I ask because with postage the price (assuming none of you other beggars bid! ;+))) would be only just less than the combined edition new and to be honest getting the deck as well is not that much of a bother to me.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

Moongold

Revisions to 78DW

Rachel Pollack states in tne 1997 one volume version of 78DW that she went through both previous volumes and carefully revised and updated what needed to be done. She doesn't detail the work she did, however.

I f I were you I'd get the one volume version!

Moongold

Melissa`

I just bought this book last night after hearing others speak highly of it. The new edition of the book (according to Pollacks own preface) is just the two separate volumes combined into one. She states that she thought the idea of the two separate might be awkward for the reader to referance two different books. She also states that even though there are some specifics that she would change now, years later, she has left them as they are.

I hope that this helps!
Blessings,
Amaya

Moongold

Rachel Pollack states on P: x111 to x1v ."....In the past 18 years since Part1 was published, I have continued to work with the Tarot and to learn its history. Whilst the book remains substantially the same - I would not radically alter something so many people have found helpful - I have gone through both parts carefully, revising whatever stood out in the light of new knowledge........"

The bibliography is not extensive but it does list one reference published after pubnication of the first edition.

I think your choice is a very personal one. The first edition would certainly have much value. It depends on whether you want the unidentified extra and the convenience of having it all together - or the charm and and other enticements of the first edition you mentioned in your original post............."

Moongold

HeidiAussie

Hello Moongold and Amaya,

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go for the new edition.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie