Ideal Tarot book!!!

jmd

Some of the recent threads have made me reflect on which book(s) I would really like to keep is I could only take a very limited number of decks & books in any important life change/move.

I must admit, that so many books have portions which I would dearly like to have. My ideal book, then, would include a historical section, and illustrations from other decks and, very importantly, non-Tarot related materials (such as Egypto-Graeco-Roman texts and images).

At the moment, I suppose that the two books I would unreservedly want to keep - even if they contain much which I would want to add - are the only I have reviewed on this site: Meditations on the Tarot and O'Neill's Tarot Symbolism... but of course, if I start listing all the wonderful books I wouldn't want to lose, from Wirth's The Tarot of the Magicians to Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot, my list would become longer that I envisaged the purposes of this thread/post.

But what of an ideal single Tarot book (excluding, of course, the necessary loose-leafed 78 page version!)?

jema

i got the meditations book in a shopping bag at my fave online book shop. and i hesitate a bit. i think the word "christian" in the titel is what is keeping me away.
but i am tempted to buy it since i heard a lot of good about it.

as for a fave book of mine.
i think i would pick out two deck-specific books actually:
Book of Thoth - Crowley
Tarot of the spririt - Eakins

they don't have much to come with in regards to illustrations or history or any of those things you listed, but they are the two books i learnt the most from. and i see in them the potential to learn even more. i am not done with them yet. so that is why i pick those two.

jema

See!!!
i killed the thread!
*shame on me*

jmd

see... you revived it!!!

firemaiden

In my present state of ignorance, and not yet having read the two books mentioned by jmd above (yet which I will do my best to acquire)(but until then...) the book I will take to my desert island is the BOOK OF THOTH.

Kaz

agreeing with jema and firemaiden, book of thoth goes to the island. i have some others but they are not worth dragging them with me. the ones jmd mentions, one is online if i remember correctly, so you dont have to take it with you, the other i dont know. the tarot of the spirit is one i would like to have.

firemaiden

Kaz said:
one is online if i remember correctly, so you dont have to take it with you.

oooooooh, Kaz, try to remember... where, which, what, how... I would like to read it.

firemaiden

firemaiden said:
the book I will take to my desert island is the BOOK OF THOTH.

(....on the other hand, if I may take an entire encyclopaedia,
I will take jmd.)

(could I have my encyclopaedia and read it too?)

Kaz

firemaiden said:
oooooooh, Kaz, try to remember... where, which, what, how... I would like to read it.
Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism, you can find it here.

~kaz

Mimers

Kaz said:
Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism, you can find it here.

~kaz

Whoo Hoo! I have been sneaking into the Borders bookstore at lunchtime and reading this book. It is not the best way to read a book such as this, but I am trying to curb my spending habbits and save for my summer vacation plans.

Now I don't have to read it at the bookstore, I can read it on line!

Thanks Kaz!

Mimers