Ideal Tarot book!!!

jmd

The site is the one I have also linked in my review of Meditations on the Tarot - but it is not, unfortunately, of the whole book (though it does contain some extracts). It is a site dedicated to this most incredible of Tarot books, not the book itself.

As to being taken to a desert island... well, it wouldn't be deserted any longer! ... (on the other hand, I would be able to say much without risk of being caught out!)

Cerulean

I've almost found the perfect book if I rip up ten books and add color illustrations. Actually, I've been eyeing Irene Gad's huge book because she uses Oswald Wirth's deck and discusses the majors almost as exhaustively as I would like. I'll look up the title and add it..

Here's my Mega Dream Book:
I want...one section to be the John Dee book with large color illustrations of the Tarot of Serraville and introductory reading concepts. But I want mini foldouts with all the Visconti, Cary-Yale, Mantegna, historical D'Este cards and at least three Marseilles decks. The sun, moon and the stars is all I ask. The last deck to lead into the modern time would be the Hedera (?) tarot. Historians such as Giodarno Berti and Stuart Kaplan, etc., would answer all my questions and do a timeline of all known art/poetry and things related to Renaissance tarot.

The second would be selections from 1900's classic and modern tarot authors with color pictures and then commentary of decks by the artist/author and then modern scholar...so Ronald Decker's commentary on the Knapp-Hall would follow Manley P. Hall's Essay on the Tarot, Michael Dummatt on Etteilla would follow Etteilla's version of the Book of Thoth, Pixie Smith's newly discovered (fiction---this doesn't exist) discussion on her work would be followed by Mary Greer, Lady Frieda Harris' notes and Crowley's Thoth court discussion would be followed by Angeles Arrien's notes...Oswald Wirth's deck and discussion followed by Irene Gad, abridged....something like that.

The last section to be Rachel Pollack's Illustrated Guide to the Tarot with all the color pictures and discussion of modern tarots and reading... and color foldouts of all the out-of-print Folchi deck and art decks that cost over two figures to buy with sample commentary, similar to Rachel Pollack's "New Tarot" book. A foldout of collage art decks and photographic decks...

Oh yes, I want this to be less than 100 pages or on a CD and the CD player can be powered by solar cell energy.

Can't I dream...

Mari H.

jmd

I presume your reference to Irene Gad's wonderful (though very Jungian oriented) book referred to is Tarot and Individuation - a book I would especially recommend to those who have more psychological inclinations...

I remember that is has come up in discussions a few times, but it would certainly be worth discussing in its own thread.

As to your suggested book, sounds fantastic - maybe a publisher may seriously consider your idea!