Reading Waite-The Doctrine Behind the Veil

Teheuti

wandking said:
If it isn't too much trouble, could you post the rest of this next passage in context? "The Ladder of Jacob . . . may intimate the ascent into union, into that state when the male is with the female, 'neither male nor female."

"The suggestions of material Alchemy in the designs of _Liber Mutus_ may have been adopted as a pretext only, and then the Ladder of Jacob in its two significant positions may intimate the ascent into union, into that state when the male is with the female, 'neither male nor female.'" [New para then begins talking about the _Janitor Pansophus_.

The Liber Mutus shows physical labors - in the material world, but it may represent much more (according to Waite). In the first plate, the Ladder of Jacob ascends into the sky. It appears once more in the last plate where it lies on the ground. (The ladder been transcended and is no longer necessary.)

Mary

Lorraine

Mary states: Anybody have any ideas why Waite talks about the _Mutus Liber_ here? There don't seem to be any images in common with the Tarot nor any direct connection. What is Waite's point (assuming there is no direct connection)?

****I believe that it is not so much the detail as the overall reduction of a set of symbols which act as locations for storing data concerning alchemy, a silent book is not read but understood, remembered as it were, by virtue of the unity within all things. Within this theory, aligning certain images in such a way as to contain the whole of knowledge (whether that knowledge was specific as to subject is therefore irrelevant) operated much like the mechanics of artificial memory. One might understand the concept of the whole "book" of the universe which exists like the photos which upon closer inspection consist of a mosaic of smaller photos placed in such a way that the image of a cat may emerge from thousands of seemingly unrelated images of dogs...the connection is to the unified image. The example of a series of images which represent a means of remembering the keys to alchemy, finds a relation to a series of images (Tarot) which represent a means of remembering .....universal truths. Look closely at what Waite says: THE Tarot embodies symbolical presentations of universal ideas, behind which lie all the implicits of the
human mind, and it is in this sense that they contain secret doctrine, which is the realization by the few of
truths imbedded in the consciousness of all, though they have not passed into express recognition by
ordinary men. The theory is that this doctrine has always existed--that is to say, has been excogitated in
the consciousness of an elect minority; that it has been perpetuated in secrecy from one to another and
has been recorded in secret literatures, like those of Alchemy and Kabalism; that it is contained also in
those Instituted Mysteries of which Rosicrucianism offers an example near to our hand in the past, and
Craft Masonry a living summary, or general memorial,".....compare this with the concept in the preface of Rossi's Logic and the Art of Memory, "The term clavis universalis was used in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries to designate a method or general science which would enable man to see beyond the veil of phenomenal appearances, or the shadows of ideas to grasp the ideal and essential structure of reality. Deciphering the alphabet of the world; reading the singns imprinted by the divine mind in the book of nature; discovering the correspondence between the original forms of the universe and the structures of human thought; constructing a perfect language capable of eliminating all equivocations and putting us in direct contact with things and essences rather than signs; the construction of total encyclopeaedias and ordered classifications which would be true mirrors of cosmic harmony--these were the objectives of the numerous defenders, apologists and expositors of Lullism and artificial memory between the fourteenth and seventeenth centuries. .."
Following WAite a bit farther: "as I have said, it is the presentation of universal
ideas by means of universal types, and it is in the combination of these types--if anywhere--that it
presents Secret Doctrine.
That combination may, ex hypothesi, reside in the numbered sequence of its series or in their fortuitous
assemblage by shuffling, cutting and dealing, as in ordinary games of chance played with cards. .."....It is the effect upon the mind in total, the recognition in the same way as we hold a memory impressed upon the substance of our mind....silently awaiting some combination to trigger the mind to release the sensations, the song that pulls faces from the past....this same method or connection with those systmes like alchemy or like kabbalah which use a symbolic means to access to the memories of the universal order of truths....

Teheuti

Rosanne said:
Why write a book and throw in red herrings and misinformation because of Oaths to Secrecy?
Rosanne, thanks for responding. These are really good questions.

To my knowledge there really aren't as many red herrings and misinformation as it seems at first. Waite wanted a deck that could be used by the masses for intuitive divination. He also wanted to integrate several different Tarot traditions (of which the GD was only one) into a deck that transcended them all (esp. the Majors). He honored his oaths--breaking them wasn't necessary to fulfill his purpose. Yet he wanted to leave a trail of crumbs (references to other works) for those few who were willing to do their homework.

Have you ever had an experience you couldn't explain to someone else? Have you ever had a very detailed and accurate psychic flash during a reading that had nothing to do with the cards? Could you tell others exactly what to do to have psychic flashes too--guaranteed? Or could you only give them suggestions that might lead them in the right direction? If they've never had a psychic experience would they understand what you're talking about?

It reminds me of a local lady who bakes the most amazing Fruitcake, gives out the recipe, leaving several ingredients out.
Haven't you ever written out a recipe exactly, but someone else says it just doesn't taste like yours? A recipe for a mystical experience is even more difficult.

Mutus liber is a series of images or a silent book apparently based on Alchemy.
It's mentioned in most surveys of alchemical literature. Adam McLean has written a whole book explaining it in detail (which I don't have).

I guess Waite was saying that if you understood the images, you can read the book- same with Tarot.
That's the idea - except he's not talking about reading the Tarot here, but as using it for a guide along the path to 'the Great Work' of Divine Union.

This seems very eletist to me.
Have you tried reading a technical book on physics without ever having studied psychics? Or how about a medical journal without being healing professional? Every field has areas that require background, vocabulary, study and often practice.

The point of this study is find out if Waite is telling us more than we previously were able to perceive and to determine if it is something worth learning. Does it lead anywhere valuable?

I'm glad you're enjoying the journey and sticking with it.

Mary

Teheuti

Lorraine -

Thanks for joining the conversation. I love your quote from Rossi about the clavis universalis [universal keys] that are
a method or general science which would enable man to see beyond the veil of phenomenal appearances, or the shadows of ideas to grasp the ideal and essential structure of reality.
and for pointing out Waite's statement that such keys as Kabbalah, alchemy, tarot, etc.
use a symbolic means to access to the memories of the universal order of truths....
Yes, this seems to be the heart of the process.

Mary

Rosanne

Thank you Mary for your post. It seemed very meanminded of me to absorb all the thread and not post my appreciation. You are right. The only way to see if this book has any relevence is to put it up for comment and understanding. Because I read with RWS it does have meaning for me and it will add those missing ingredients to the cake I am sure. I originally used the cards in creative visualisation in my attempt to climb the ladder in the journey to create Gold from my life in lead/dross, I just wish Waite was not so.....Victorian in his explanations of magical experience in connecting to the Divine. Yea I read on with pleasure! (I might add I have the same feelings about the high flying words in steps of the Qabalah)~Rosanne

wandking

I totally agree that Waite left the path intact, with his "trail of crumbs" and to me he indeed comes across as a man of honor, who wishes he could be more specific without violating at least three oaths.

Here's a bit more from the book I've been working on for years! It's close to finished but i just can't seem to muster the guts to submit it to a publisher.

The article focuses on Tarot history and his assumptions are surprisingly accurate for that time. In The Great Symbols of the Tarot, he confirms that certain symbols, like The High Priestess could not date back further than medieval times. His writings make it clear that he does not perceive a strong relationship between historic and modern Tarot. The most striking element in his article is at the end, where he hints that trumps from his deck hold hidden meaning as he writes, “Here is the only answer to the question whether there is a deeper meaning in the Trumps Major than is found on their surface. And this leads up to my final point. If anyone feels drawn in these days to the consideration of Tarot symbolism, they will do well to select Trumps Major produced under my supervision by Miss Pamela Coleman Smith. I am at liberty to mention these as I have no interest in their sale. If they seek to place upon each individually the highest meaning that may dawn upon them in a mood of reflection, then to combine the messages, modifying their formulation until the whole series moves together in harmony, the result may be something of living value to themselves and therefore true for them. It should be understood in conclusion that I have been dealing with pictured images; but the way of the mystics ultimately leaves behind it the figured representations of the mind, for it is behind the kaleidoscope of external things that the still light shines in and from within the mind, in that state of pure being which is the life of the soul in God.”

The prior paragraph, like this post "use a symbolic means to access to the memories of the universal order of truths" brings to mind Martinism.

According to Saint-Martin, humanity neither conceives nor perceives but instead, receives abstract thought and natural creativity from sources other than mental impressions. God becomes apparent only to the soul and essentially restores harmony to create a reunion of human and divine will, thus achieving an internal Kingdom of God. An innate Divine spark allows the human soul to regenerate and restore a beautiful communion between Divinity and humankind. Like his spiritual influences, Saint-Martin never presents mere theosophical science. His writings shine with a true love of God and reflect a path that he humbly chose to not only advocate but also experience in personal existence.

Obviously, Waite wrote on secret doctrines behind Martinism and Freemasonry but he appears to seek secrets within Christianity. While representing an unknown doctrine to many modern Christians, the most important doctrine put forth in the ministry of Jesus is about as secret as the Golden Dawn. Jesus mentions the “Kingdom of God” over twenty times in Mathew alone. First century Jews saw the Kingdom of God as throwing off Roman rule, while Judea rises up as the ethical state of New Jerusalem. Actually, modern fundamentalist and evangelical Christians still seek this future political kingdom; however, that is not the “Kingdom” Jesus focuses on in His ministry. Mathew 4:17 states “Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” From His words, emerge two potential conclusions. Either Jesus lied to Jews of his time that were anxious to see a physical kingdom or He is referring to an innate spiritual Kingdom, which archaic Jews and modern Christians can embrace in their lives immediately. Just as the Neo-Platonists sought ascension, Christians can seek the Kingdom of God in their souls. To Waite, trumps likely symbolize a path of ascent into an inner Kingdom that Jesus offers in most Biblical examples.

Thanks for the quote Mary... As usual he leaves me awaiting a more complete explaination. Again, Waite leads me to dig deeper.

Patrick

Lorraine

Wandking wrote: "According to Saint-Martin, humanity neither conceives nor perceives but instead, receives abstract thought and natural creativity from sources other than mental impressions. God becomes apparent only to the soul and essentially restores harmony to create a reunion of human and divine will, thus achieving an internal Kingdom of God. An innate Divine spark allows the human soul to regenerate and restore a beautiful communion between Divinity and humankind. Like his spiritual influences, Saint-Martin never presents mere theosophical science. His writings shine with a true love of God and reflect a path that he humbly chose to not only advocate but also experience in personal existence."
****Ah now we get a glimpse of a key ingredient "experience"...have you seen the stereographic images, where one stares at seemingly jumbled pixels of color, and after a moment (as if by magic) they eye "sees" a 3d image? Is the image that is seen "located" in the jumble of pixels or is it located within the human eye or is it located within only the human mind? Does the ability to "see" the image require a special state of "coordination" between the eye and the mind? We find Yates, Carruthers and Rossi's work on artificial memory leads us to study these questions within a body of ideas which deal almost exclusively with the "experience" of symbols, ideograms,and images: "In the unique medieval cultural product which is the ars predicandi the practial aims of rhetorical persuasion, and the need to construct images able to provide controllable emotions, were combined with more general reflections on order and method as instruments for impressing both the content and the form of orations in the memory"(Rossi, Logic and the Art of Memory, pg 14-15). Waite states:"The true Tarot is symbolism; it
speaks no other language and offers no other signs. Given the inward meaning of its emblems, they do
become a kind of alphabet which is capable of indefinite combinations and makes true sense in all."....Consider at this point Ravenna's observation regarding memory (and the creation of the "effect" of memory within the mind): "To make the art of memory effective, one needed to understand the things which excited and stimulated the imagination". Like a stereogram stimulates the physical eye resulting in a 3d image appearing through a "shift in focus" (perhaps better called an artificial "seeing" because it is not the "natural way" we see the pixels) there is a body of thought which deals with the use of images to cause us to "experience" or "see" (in an artificial way) beyond the device of a symbol by means of a(n artificial) shift of focus of the mind. Tarot falls within a group of devices which utilizes symbolism in a special way. It is the specific method of employing images as "symbolism" which results in the often automatic experience of the mind's ability to see the hidden "image" or maybe more precisely it triggers a memory. The technique of symbolism (The images are like writing and the places like paper.)is the method which becomes the common link between tarot and kabbalah, alchemy and any potentially yet undiscovered devices which operate like "stereograms" hidden in nature......the common feature is the experience of the whole, similar to how allegories play upon the human memory of a truth bringing the mind to a point of realization much like one might concieve of a spark jumping between a positively charged and a negatively charged pole on a battery...or the use of the image of lightning as being symbolic of the result of an alignment of forces....the idea behind the power of symbolic images is approached much like the key on the kite-string....when lightning strikes you know the "formula" or combination is liked by the universal forces.....

Parzival

Reading Waite

Maybe it's not entirely that Waite is hinting and hiding in order to keep his esoteric oaths. He's drawing parallels with other symbolic "secret doctrines," including alchemic and theosophic ones. So, the Tarot is a mirror of the Journey of the Soul, a step-by-step of the "Great Work" of the Soul's progress, its Self-Work, its Self-evolution, its Self-discovery. Whitman's "Song of Myself," Goethe's "Faust", the Grail myth-- to give three literary analogues : Tarot as the path of little me and little you to the big Self including you and me. And only free, deep, clear communion with/into the symbolic series will get us anywhere, not pre-digested interpretations from Waite or anyone thrown at us. He points to possiblities of meaning and leaves us free to go our own meaningful Way. He says : "There [Mutus Liber] the process for the performance of the great work of transmutation is depicted in fourteen copper-plate engravings, which exhibit the different stages of the matter...." He goes on to refer to "the marriage of the soul and spirit in the body" through alchemic emblems and how the "combination" of the Tarot images presents "Secret Doctrine" of the Hermetic symbolic sort, "perhaps the earliest example of this [Hermetic] art."-- Link of the two symbolic series. Key to the tool of Tarot as mirroring the Way to soul-awakening ?
Be all this as it may, I appreciate Mary's persevering openness to Waite's intended meaning. How his Tarot mirrors "the marriage of soul and spirit" and the "Great Work" needs some exploration.

Rima

Waite

Here's the first sentence from Part II of PKT "The Tarot and Secret Tradition"

"The Tarot embodies symbolical presentations of universal ideas, behind which lie all the implicits of the human mind, and it is in this sense that they contain secret doctrine, which is the realization by the few of truths imbedded in the consciousness of all, though they have not passed into express recognition by ordinary men."

Mary quotes Waite (above) and then later adds:

"One of the questions becomes why have they "not passed into exspress (clear and unambiguous) recognition"? In part, because they are best expressed symbolically-that is, by a thing that represents something else. This suggests that 'ordinary people' do not see 'symbolically'."

I think that here we are really discussing what constitutes an "initiate" vs. a non-initiate (ordinary people). This is a topic well covered in the Don Juan books. An initiate is a person who has been taught to SEE....see beyond the flat; literal and material world. Once this vision has been opened, then things such as metaphors; symbols as messengers; synchronicity and so on, make sense and become a part of our everyday life.

I believe that Waite's quote was stating that the occult is real and can be experienced. He's basically saying that symbols can unlock these universal ideas as they are contained in consciousness and we all have access to them. I'd like to add that we can also venture into our consciousness and have direct experiences of these things. This was probably one of those secrets held onto tightly by the occultists long ago. They didn't want to expose the masses to more than they could handle.

Rima

Teheuti

wandking said:
Here's a bit more from the book I've been working on for years! It's close to finished but i just can't seem to muster the guts to submit it to a publisher.
Patrick - I really appreciate all your contributions. I don't usually comment because they so clearly speak for themselves.

How exciting that you've written a book on tarot history. It is hard to get them published. I know that Paul Huson had to go through quite a bit to get his book finally accepted and Robert Place had to add all the RWS stuff before his book on history was accepted.

As you say, Waite's historical data is surprisingly accurate. He was never taken in by all the myth. The same can be said for his studies in the other subjects.

According to Saint-Martin, humanity neither conceives nor perceives but instead, receives abstract thought and natural creativity from sources other than mental impressions. God becomes apparent only to the soul and essentially restores harmony to create a reunion of human and divine will, thus achieving an internal Kingdom of God.

I haven't read anything by Saint-Martin nor Waite's book on him but he certainly sounds like another link in the Secret Tradition that also includes Blavatsky, Anna Kingsford, PF Case, Manly P Hall, GRS Mead, etc.

Obviously, Waite wrote on secret doctrines behind Martinism and Freemasonry but he appears to seek secrets within Christianity. <snip> To Waite, trumps likely symbolize a path of ascent into an inner Kingdom that Jesus offers in most Biblical examples.

Waite was fully committed to the Christian path - no doubt about it. But he didn't eliminate the possiblity of Divine union being achieved by other paths. And, personally, I don't hold it against him.

Mary