Melanchollic's "Simple Cross" Spread

Quantum James

I agree with Busy Bee. Since you posted this spread I have been working with it intensely - as a way for me to come to grips with elemental dignities more fully, and also because it just inspires me so much. As busy bee mentions the way that the base elements sequence in the spread is determined by the heavenly influence is genius.

In working with the spread some more I answered my own questions above happily. I also noticed a couple of things:

The Yang pair of cards in the elemental cycle (Air and Fire) also can be read elementally dignified in relation with each other - this seems to give advice regarding the outer aspects of the situation, explains what to do next and so forth, or gives warnings.

The Yin pair (Water and Earth) when read dignified to each other, explain inner workings: why blockages or delays are happening, the unconscious motivations or energetics in the situation at work.

I use colored tokens to help me keep track of the elemental cycle as extrapolated from the Heaven card. This adds a nice visual aspect as I can see exactly which color is where, and where things are clashing or resonant.

Another aspect I love is that its possible to get a clear picture of how the energy is moving JUST by noticing on which axis the base elements fall - thats even before looking at the cards themselves.

As you may have noticed I am in love with this spread! :)
I suspect a whole book could be written on it, it has THAT much depth.

Thanks again!
QJ

Melanchollic

BusyBee said:
Now I pose one question:
What if indeed the unseen (divine) forces are not dignified?
This could be, exemplary, a group of spirits doing harm.

While I do think the answer would come through in the spread with the divine dignified (as the true divine/universe always is), when one considers the card as 'hidden influences', the influence itself could be other than divine.
I know this is a limb, but just wondering if you have pondered this as well?

Hi BusyBee,

Yes, it is a limiting aspect of the approach taken by this method of reading - it overlooks the possibilities of malefic hidden influences.

An easy way around this problem would be to 'fix' the elements to their 'natural' positions. So Card #1 would always be Fire, Card #2 would always be Water, Card #3 would always be Air, and Card #4 would always be Earth. You would lose some of the fluidity and randomization, and some of the subtle relationships that form, as Quantum James points out. (Thanks James!!)

I'm glad people are getting some enjoyment out of this method. Please keep posting those great insights. It's great to get different perspectives and insights. :)

Cheers,

M

BusyBee

I love the idea of colored tokens that [Quantum James] pointed out. I'm sure I could round up four colored stones for this, and it would help myself remember, as well as let the querent know what in the world I am talking about with the placements.
I also think that reading the Fire->Air and Water->Earth pairs (as [Q.J.] also points out) each makes an interesting addition. You can ascertain whether your desires are in tune with the cosmic will, and also whether your objective will work out in the practical world.

I think I will continue to use the spread in the morphous fashion, dignifying the Cosmic/universal/divine process. If there is any doubt as to whether there are malicious forces at work, another spread could be used using "unseen spiritual forces" as the subject (instead of the querent), and either the querent or the original quested object or action as the "action" pat of the spread; again keeping the true divine in its highest dignified element.

I do like this spread, very fluid and practical.

BusyBee

I forgot to mention:
I also find it very helpful to me, and visually to the querent, to use a deck that clearly has an elemental system. My Haindl has worked well in this spread, as it has the elemental system laid out as non-imposing colored border on the card. If you have a deck that has the system "built in" so to speak, you don't have to bother thinking about it during a reading, and can make the reading a little less cumbersome and quicker to interpret.

Junia

Kilted Kat said:
I meant to post this earlier & couldn't find it.

Thank you Kilted Kat. That answered one of the dilemmas that I faced: what to do with the card that was already in the spread!

Melanchollic had thoughtfully TOLD me what to do, but being the dumb right-brained learner that I am, I had to see it to get it!

Mel--as if I am not intrigued/puzzled enough! Have you ever thought of mathematical equations along an x and y algebraic axis? I am not a mathematician--mind you--but I do think that it is there for someone else to flesh out!

Junia

Aha

Sorry double post!

Melanchollic

Of course the problem with Bocher's version (the one Kilted Cat posted) is this;

.......................O..................
...............5OOO7OOO7

19 + 7 + 5 + 3 = 34 (3 + 4 =7)

The 7 can't be further reduced. So, you're back to where you started.

It seems a better method would be to not including the "trouble card" (here, the 7) in the adding up. So you'd do this;

19 + 5 + 3 = 27 (2 + 7 = 9) So 9 would be the synthesis.

I don't use the 'synthesis card' myself. It implies that the choice of number has an esoteric significants, which I believe to be an incorrect assumption. Many of the deck were never numbered, and of the known orderings, there is much variation.

Take the above Chariot card for example. It is 7th in the Milanese sequence (TdM), but 8th in the Sermones de Ludo Cum Aliis (late 15th c.), G. Susio's tarot poem (1570), and the Jacques Vievil, 10th in the Rosenwald sheet, and Colonna sheets, 9th in the Tarocco Siciliano, and 6th in the Tarocchini of Bologna.

Junia

Thanks Melanchollic! I get wigged enough when Justice and Strength change positions back and forth from 8 to 11 from deck to deck.

If you have a resolution, it seems to me a synthesis card is merely repetitive.
I'll shall lumber along!