Problem With Holding Angel Tarot Cards Deck On Your Hand

sunstallion

This new deck of Doreen Virtue "Angel Tarot Cards" deck really clicks me. However, the problem is that it is a little too big for my hand and I am having a hard time shuffling it.

Does anyone have the same problem ?

or anyone has any ideas how I can fix this ? otherwise, I love this deck, but cant use it at all.

Sulis

Have you tried doing hand over hand shuffling whilst holding the cards so that you're shuffling them vertically so the shorter ends of the cards are the ones that meet? I shuffle all of my decks like that.
Another thing you could do is just tip them onto a flat surface, swirl them around then gather them back up.

sunstallion

Have you tried doing hand over hand shuffling whilst holding the cards so that you're shuffling them vertically so the shorter ends of the cards are the ones that meet? I shuffle all of my decks like that.
Another thing you could do is just tip them onto a flat surface, swirl them around then gather them back up.

I did try this vertical way, but they are still big that it doesnt work. The entire deck is still big for my hand. Lol, this only deck is the one Im having this problem with !

sunstallion

You may not like the idea, but several folks (not me because I stink at it) have had success trimming their decks. You can do an advanced search with the word "trim" (setting is defaulted to "Search Titles Only" already) to find several methods and success stories. I found two that may be of interest to you: "Trim Or Not" and a video demonstration:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=135334

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=135944

I have thought about it, but I think it is hard to trim this deck without missing information because the card is so full loaded of image-information.

Myrrha

Sunstallion, one way to shuffle a deck with large cards is to deal the deck into several piles ( I like seven) then pick up one pile and deal it onto all the others (now you would have six piles) pick up one and deal it onto all the others. And so on until you only have two piles which you put together into one.

This is a nice meditative way to start a reading and it also works well for fragile decks than you don't want to shuffle.

VGimlet

Not familiar with the deck, but sometimes if the deck is very large you can shuffle the cards sideways instead.

firecatpickles

Here's an idea that just popped into my head---although I don't know this deck at all... Have you thought about changing the hieght-to-width ratio? You could extend either the tops or the sides by gluing another piece of card stock (nice of course! for example, hand pressed/homemade paper like 300 lbs. weight watercolor cold press) to the backs so it's more of a square and less a rectangle. It may make the deck more ergonomical for you. You'd have a nice, additional white (or some other color paper) border that would be softer than the standard cardstock.

But looking at the cards via google images, they seems already quite square. If you own the deck, surely there wouldn't be aproblem with making a record of the original (hrmmm dare I mention scanning? for personal home use, of course) and then trimming them? It looks like it would be a great candidate for trimming. In fact, for my personal taste, the borders seem like an afterthought perhaps from the publisher. The artwork as it stands alone is fantastic---and I am no fan of angel decks, lemme tell ya...

ETA: It seems like you could still trim off a whole lot and only lose the titles (which are a bit "polyester-suit-ish" sorry Doreen!) at the most. Would be a great candidate for a trim job, fo shizzles.

Aina

Yes, I have this deck and it's not that easy to shuffle. It's wide and heavy. They would be OK if there were less cards, such as 44 or so (just like oracle decks).
One way is to divide the deck into 2 smaller decks and shuffle them separately. The other way its to shuffle lengthwise but still they seem to be too heavy and "not comfy".
What I do then is simply place all the cards on the base face down and "wash" them (I hope it's called that), mix them like kids do or like in poker they do. Then make a deck, cut and that's all.
They really are heavy, not a travel or handbag deck. I've also found out that it's impossible to trim it because it doesn't have clear borders if you know what I mean. In any case I wouldn't advice trimming, I always trim and always regret :)