Tarot Certification Board of America - a critical appraisal

Fulgour

This looks like I could pay my way up only so high before I would have
to get others to join and pay ~ in order for me to get to a higher level.

I could charge students for instruction, and guaranteed certification,
while building up my requirements in order to advance my standings.

25 students testing at $50 a piece for at least one simple degree level,
or just any 25 certification levels gained by others aided by my tutelage,
($1,250 worth) and I'd be just a "consortium" away from Grand Master.

Gwynne

One of the things that disturbs me is the poorly designed webpage (it looks extremely amateurish from a technical standpoint) and the fact that they have a P.O. Box, not a physical address. ANYONE can go get a P.O. Box and design a website.

As far as the list of "members" It really is quite questionable. I could start a certification group and hand out certification like candy to big name Tarot authors and readers, that doesn't make them worth anything. Bill Cosby has an honorary Ph.D. That doesn't mean I want him teaching college students! (Although that might not be so bad :lol: )

The money thing is the biggest issue for me. You have to be certified progressively. If you want certification as a CTC you have to pay the fees and meet the requirements for the previous two levels.

Sure it looks good, but the question again becomes "How do you certify a reader?" Are my definitions good enough? If I look at the Lovers and see a relationship falling apart, am I wrong? If I look at that particular card and say to my client "It's time to move on, the love you once had is faded and you're letting yourself be hurt too much..." am I wrong because it doesn't match the "traditional" meaning of "choices"?

I can read by "book" meanings. I don't. And I have a LOT of clients who come back for reading. I must be doing something right. But is what I'm doing certifiable?

I don't use additional systems. No Golden Dawn, no Qabalah, no Elemental Dignities, just what the card is saying at the exact moment I'm reading it, which changes from reading to read. The Two of Cups isn't the same for everyone....

So how can that be certified?

April

Yes, you do have to pay for every level even if you don't take the exams.
From the website:
"The Tarot Certification Board will invoice you for your lifetime certification fee as a CPTR which is a one-time payment of $150.00 less any payments already made for the rank of CATR and CTR"
And this is the same for every level.

I agree that the requirements for Certified Tarot Instructor seem just a smidge like a pyramid scheme. What if none of my students want to be certified, they've already paid for my class and the certicicate I printed up for them. :)

One thing that really bothers me about most of these organizations (not all) is that there are no teachers or tutors or clasees attached. What is this money going towards if the examiners are volunteers? Usually degrees and certifications come from the same place you learned your skills, no? The whole thing gets more fishy all the time.

Peace,
April

Fulgour

I've heard complaints that people have trouble
even getting the certificates sent in the mail...
the money vanishes as soon as it's sent. Poof!

Gwynne

Fulgour said:
I've heard complaints that people have trouble
even getting the certificates sent in the mail...
the money vanishes as soon as it's sent. Poof!

That makes it even more worrisome, especially considering how much they are charging.

Clau

jumptothemoonyea said:
What if an university or a high school would include a course of Tarot in their curriculum? How impossible is it?

Well funny you should mention that: today I saw an unversity here is giving a course called "Archaeology of tarot: context and procedures of an analogic mantic science"

And the curriculum is:
1.- magic: principles and procedures
2.- Tarot classics (which includes the study XVIIIth century: A Court de Gebelin y Alliete. XIX century: A. L. Constant (“Eliphas levi”) y G. Encause (“ Papus”) XX century: A. E. Waite y O. Wirth.)
3.- Greek and judeo christian heritage
4.- Medieval cosmovision I,II,II and IV
5.- Today's and yerterday's configuration (Jung and Foucault)
6.- Evolutive foot steps
7.- Tarot and iconology

doesn't it sound great???

Of course i'll take it, the professor is Cuban and I've heard he is a great teacher and knows a lot of what he is talking about...

All of the sudden, tarot is all over me....

I'll let you know how it goes,

Love,

Clau

ribbitcat

http://www.keen.co.uk/memberpub/homepage.asp?user=Soft-Wind+Mandingo

This is the kind of thing that gives us all a bad name . This is the kind of thing that I oppose . This is the kind of thing that would not get through TABI's Endorsement process .....

And yes - this person is not certificated , is even proud that they have not "learned" tarot . And this person *is* an inferior reader to one that has been certified or Endorsed . I accept JMD's *theory* that non-certified/Endorsed readers *may* be as good as those who are certified/Endorsed ....BUT .....what a shining example this is .

ribbitcat

Gwynne

ribbitcat said:
http://www.keen.co.uk/memberpub/homepage.asp?user=Soft-Wind+Mandingo

This is the kind of thing that gives us all a bad name . This is the kind of thing that I oppose . This is the kind of thing that would not get through TABI's Endorsement process .....

And yes - this person is not certificated , is even proud that they have not "learned" tarot . And this person *is* an inferior reader to one that has been certified or Endorsed . I accept JMD's *theory* that non-certified/Endorsed readers *may* be as good as those who are certified/Endorsed ....BUT .....what a shining example this is .

ribbitcat

Honestly? Anyone who calls them deserves what they get... I'm sorry, but the English grammar was horrid, the spelling was terrible and they sounded more like pompous fools than anyone else. They have a -10 rating, which on Keen means they've likely ignored, missed or flat out turned down calls when they were supposed to be available. They have no feedback, neither good nor bad. The page is poorly put together, the card that they've chosen to display looks smooshed, and the nudity, while tasteful, may be offensive to some.

I've done some work on Keen, although I've recently cut back a lot because I prefer live clients to those on the phone. But I know that if they aren't any good on Keen they quickly go down.

Certification is not going to stop those sorts of people, especially diploma mill type certification, where someone says that you've passed and you get your certificate. Who's to say that you don't have some certifier out there who says "Pay me $200 and I'll guarantee you get certified..." It's all independent testing, and it's all about money.

April

No, it's just an example of is how bad readers get their's. Did you see their feedback? Either nobody is falling for this, or this person is giving very bad readings. I'm not even saying that this person is a bad reader. Have you had a reading from them? Maybe they really are psychic and just shaky with the English.

I could get myself certified and set up an ad exactly like this. Certification does not garuntee that someone is good or ethical. I don't know how many times that has to be said. Sure I can remember 78 (or 156) keywords. I can even memorize a list of rules, but you can't make me use them after I've taken the test. Once I go out into public the only thing regulating me IS the public. That's what this is an example of, the public regulating their own readers. There is nothing stopping the person in this ad from getting certified if they thought it would get them more business. The long and short of it is that a person who is inept or unethical in their field cannot remain in that field forever, documents or not.

A piece of paper does not, can not, and will not make someone a good person.

I would assume, ribbitcat, that you are certified. Yes, I know what they say about the word "assume". And by the way you sarcasticaly sited jmd's "theory" it really sounds like you think you're a better reader than I am. I'm really surprised and kind of saddened by this. If this is the trend, how long before people think they're better because they think their organization is better. Like you went to Oxford and I only went to Yale. This is not the attitude that our community needs. Let's nip this in the bud while we still can.

Peace,
April

It occurs to me that my tone might be a little harsh, so here's the disclaimer: No bad feelings intended. 'sallright? 'sallright!

ribbitcat

OK , I just figured out I forgot how to use thew quote thing ....again LOL ...so forgive it , please :)

April said:
No, it's just an example of is how bad readers get their's. Did you see their feedback? Either nobody is falling for this, or this person is giving very bad readings. I'm not even saying that this person is a bad reader. Have you had a reading from them? Maybe they really are psychic and just shaky with the English.

** What about the guarantee to get me back with my ex for $90 , was it ?? I don't care *how* psychic she is , this stinks like week-old fish .

I could get myself certified and set up an ad exactly like this. Certification does not garuntee that someone is good or ethical. I don't know how many times that has to be said.

** Say it again for those dumb ones like myself , sat in the cheap seats :)
Certainly it doesn't guarantee they are good - but it *may* guarantee a *minimal* standard of knowledge . And if one has signed up for any of the various associations/organizations , then one has agreed to a Code of Ethics . I seem to recall many of the uncertified readers who have contributed to the various ethics/certification threads have their own personal Codes ...but it is not a given for them .

Sure I can remember 78 (or 156) keywords. I can even memorize a list of rules, but you can't make me use them after I've taken the test. Once I go out into public the only thing regulating me IS the public. That's what this is an example of, the public regulating their own readers.

** Yeah , sure . Miss Cleo made no money at all .

There is nothing stopping the person in this ad from getting certified if they thought it would get them more business.

** Yes , there is . I already said that this person would not get through TABI's Endorsement process . If she hasn't "learned" anything about tarot , she might not make it through the basic ATA level .

The long and short of it is that a person who is inept or unethical in their field cannot remain in that field forever, documents or not.

** Yes , they can . Doctors do it all the time . So do Catholic priests involved in abuse . They simply relocate geographically .

A piece of paper does not, can not, and will not make someone a good person.

** We are not talking about whether someone is a "good person" , are we ? We are talking about whether they might be a good tarot reader . And a piece of paper with the relevant teaching/practice etc behind it *might* go some way as an indication of that .

I would assume, ribbitcat, that you are certified. Yes, I know what they say about the word "assume".

** *sigh* I don't eat carrion ie. I tend to not use the easy shots . Assume away .

And by the way you sarcasticaly sited jmd's "theory"

** I wasn't being sarcastic when I cited JMD's theory . It is a theory . I wish it were true . I don't think it is , generally speaking ; which I have stated before , elsewhere .

it really sounds like you think you're a better reader than I am.

** I am .

I'm really surprised and kind of saddened by this.

** Keep at it , some day you may be as good as me ;-) But hopefully not as arrogant LOL

It occurs to me that my tone might be a little harsh, so here's the disclaimer: No bad feelings intended. 'sallright? 'sallright!

** <<echo this>> :)

ribbit