1jj

Dancing Bear

What are your opinions on the 1JJ tarot deck.. made in Switzerland by Muller & Co. Cards are marked in French, No idea whether that info makes any difference at all..

I have just got it on ebay, I am Not a collector at all.. I just love pretty pictures, that happen to be on Tarot Decks }) LOL!
I got it for a song so not overly worried if i dont take to it. but i do like to know about all my decks , their history, creators artists, era, etc.
I have noticed through googling that its pips are not pictorial.. which is not up my alley at all. But i am curious
what is the history behind this deck..wHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE INFO ON THIS DECK " oops shouting" sorry!! :p
My search has not been overly successful one, in finding out much on this deck,.,

can anyone help.. Please!

GreenMoonBeam

Dancing Bear

Two things I know that The High Priestess and the Hierophant are replaced by
Juno & Jupiter. Secondly there is a book by Stuart Kaplan called Tarot Cards
for Fun & Future which is about this deck. At the moment I have the book on a wishlist. There do appear to be copies on Amazon.***
Will look forward to what others say about this deck.( Which I think grand)

B*B
GMB!

eta:*** alibris books have this for AU$3.21 NEW... WOW!

GreenMoonBeam

Yep, it was that thread by M.Le Fanu that set me off to get the deck. My
info is in another language (not bad) & the translator is not around.:(:

philebus

I can also add that in Switzerland this is used as a gaming pack for Troccus and Troggu. (there is some film of it being played on Youtube) The game of Troggu is of particular interest to card players because it uses the Fool in both its original role as an excuse and in its new one as the highest trump, depending on the context in which its is played.

Le Fanu

O bliss! Somebody wants to talk about the 1Jj Swiss. I (still) adore this deck. As Ive said somewhere before, this deck remains for me the definitive, "magickal" tarot deck. If there was a competition "which deck retains all that you find mysterious about the tarot" this deck would win it!

And what makes it even more mysterious is that beyond the AG Muller /US Games edition, there is zero history about this deck. Others here have dug out the odd titbit, but for a deck supposedly "based on" a 16th Century deck, the 1JJ Swiss keeps its tracks well covered. Part of the ongoing mystery I suppose.

It was - like many other members here - one of my very first decks and the one I learnt on. My older copy (I have two) has been shuffled so much, it feels as soft as velvet and makes a lovely "flopping" sound when I shuffle it. One of my most prized decks. And not at all rare! It was this deck which marked the beginning of my seduction by tarot, and the 1JJ Swiss images still captivate me today, 25 years on...

GreenMoonBeam

Mon cher, you have a LOT to answer for with that deck. LOL. I 'acquired' it
as I said to Dancing Bear because of you. LOL. Going nuttier than I am to find
out more. After this festive season I will go to the library & research more by
looking at real books

deb13b

The 1JJ was my first ever tarot deck. I gave it away to a friend about 2 years ago but I hadn't used it for nearly 10 years.

Alan Ross

Just a few weeks ago, I reaquired a copy of the Swiss 1JJ. I used to own a copy distributed by U.S. Games, but I lost it long ago. The one I just acquired is a French language edition published by AGM AGMuller (no mention of U.S. Games on the box).

One thing I noticed while looking through the deck the other day is that "Fabrique de Cartes a Schafffhouse" is inscribed on the Two of Pentacles. I remember seeing that on one other deck I have, the Tarot Classic, also published originally by AGM AGMuller and distributed by U.S. Games (the initial "M" in the Four of Pentacles of the Tarot Classic stands for Muller of AGMuller). I wondered if the two decks were related somehow. I did some rummaging around in old forum threads on the Tarot Classic and came up with this from a post by Ross G Caldwell earlier this year:

"From Walter Hass, Die traditionellen Tarocke der Spielkartenfabrik Müller, in
Daniel Grüter, Walter Hass, Max Ruh eds., "Schweizer Spielkarten 2" (Schaffhausen, 2004), pp. 55-73.

English summary (John McLeod) -
'Around 1830 the card maker J.G. Rauch of Diessenhofen brought out a Tarot pack, which he supplied primarily to the canton (Switzerland) of Grisons. This Tarot designs, in the historicizing style of the period, was acquired by Johannes Müller I, when he took over Rauch's factory in 1838; it has since been modified several times and is still produced today. Towards the end of the 19th century Müller added three more Tarot designs to his range: around 1875 a Tarot de Marseilles which until then had been manufactured by the Geneva card making family Gassmann using older techniques; around 1885 a French suited Tarot with views and around 1890 a Tarot with genre scenes of the tarot nouveau type. All these cards were intended for use by players, and as Tarot playing declined in Switzerland they were dropped from the range, with the exception of the oldest, which goes back to J. G. Rauch (Swiss 1JJ). The article traces the history of these four traditional Tarot packs of the firm of Müller and their variants, points out iconographic relationships, and tries to identify the regions in which they were marketed.
The esoteric Tarot packs, which after 1970 became the most important part of the business of the Schaffhausen playing-card factory, are outside of the scope of this article. Nevertheless it should be remembered that the firm owes its successful entry into the esoteric Tarot market to its oldest surviving design 1JJ, which continues today to serve the needs of the surviving players in the Surselva as well as the devotees fo the esoteric Tarot.' (pp. 72-73)"

I also found this description of the Swiss 1JJ deck from Joan Bunning's site (www.learntarot.com):

"This version of the 1JJ Swiss Tarot deck is published by AGMuller in Switzerland and distributed by U. S. Games. Versions of the 1JJ Swiss have existed for over a century. One was created by Swiss cardmaker Johann Georg Rauch circa 1831-1838. In this deck there is a "JGR" on the four of coins. Another version was produced circa 1865 using Rauch's woodblocks, but the "JGR" has been removed. In both these cases, the titles are in French, but titles in the current deck are in English. The major arcana cards depict 19th century costumed figures. Card 2 is the Roman goddess Junon, and Card 5, the god Jupiter. The Two of Pentacles has the traditional ribbon showing the location of the manufacturer "Fabrique de Cartes a Schaffhouse."

The edition of the Swiss 1jj that I have has the initials "IM" on it, which I believe is a reference to the Johannes Muller mentioned in the first quote. So I gather from this that AGMuller acquired the Swiss 1JJ and the Tarot Classic decks when they purchased Rauch's Schaffhouse factory. I think it's likely that the design of both decks are 19th century originals that may have been at least partly based on earlier decks, with considerable artistic license. In the case of the Tarot Classic, it would presumably have been loosely based on the Tarot de Marseilles of Caude Burdel and in the case of the Swiss 1jj, on Le Fanu's unnamed 16th Century deck.

Alan