2 Kinds of Gilded Tarot Cards

HearthCricket

I have both and find both useful, in spite of 34 years of reading tarot. Barbara's book is a bit slimmer and more oriented to the Gilded Tarot itself and perhaps more experienced readers, while Ellershaw's goes more into detail about things like sleeping with your deck, cleansing it, different spreads, setting the mood, etc. This is a fine intro for those who want or need it. But I did feel like others. She kept saying "but don't look at the cards yet." Yeah, right! That is why we bought it. For the cards. Woman, we are going to look at them, so don't waste your time telling us not to! I found it highly annoying! Sorry!

:angel:

Prudence-Merenwen

Queen of Pentacle said:
Barbara Moore (Black Box - Gilded tarot)

For the book, I really prefer Barbara Moore "Gilded tarot". Barbara Mooe is a very well known tarot writer, she was Leevellyn "Tarot newpaper wew page" host for years, and she is good. Her bool is simple, well done, informative, suggest a lot of thinsg (often from the imagery of the gilded deck. littles animals and so), and is very "open". It was cute and refreshing. It is explacitive and yet vey open, and leaves place for personnal insight, which I really appreciated. She open doors, she shows the way, but you feel free to go and fello your own inspiration.

I don't know anything about this book, I'll get an eye on it. Thank you.

Queen of Pentacle said:
Josephine Ellershaw (orange box - Easy tarot)

On the other hand, Josephine Ellershaw book, is quite different. One could say it have more informations, and sure it is "ticker". But is is more a general Rider-Waite book, than a specific guidebook for the actual Gilded. It tell you rigid card meanings, give you a method you have to follow, very strict, promise that you'll become a good tarot reader if (and only if) you fellow hers rules (tarot journalling and so).

In fact, it is a generic "Rider Waite" tarot book, plain and bland, and there a million of them. Maybe Llewellyn tought the only way to seel it was to give it with it's best seller Gidlded tarot.

As you guess, I found this book quite "drab" and "closed-minded".

I'm new on Rider-Waite because Marseille is the base in France. Nobody's using Rider decks. Because of that, loving the book, I'm a Rider newbie !!!
But you're right with her method, interesting but too directive for me.

Le Fanu

HearthCricket said:
"but don't look at the cards yet." Yeah, right! That is why we bought it. For the cards. Woman, we are going to look at them, so don't waste your time telling us not to! I found it highly annoying! Sorry!

:angel:

:D LOL.What a bizarre thing to say! Going totally against the current of all other tarot packs, where the onus is YOU look at the cards, YOU relate to them!

Queen of Pentacle

Purdence-Merenwen, Why not in french?

Hi Prudence Merenwen
I don't know if you aware of it, but both "Gilded tarot" and "Easy Tarot" kit are avalaible in French, (French cards and French book,and so) since few months

The kits are called
Le tarot doré (for the Gilded tarot) Ciro Marchetti - Barbara Moore) Ada edition
and "le Tarot simplifié" (for the easy tarot) ada edition also

Many other Llewellyn tarot kits are also avalaible in French trough Ada edition (mystic fairies, and so) http://www.ada-inc.com/recherche.php?typeRecherche=titre&texteRecherche=tarot
I quite sorry I'have already have all of them in english...

If youre in France, you may try
http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss_m?...alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=ciro+marchetti
Good luck... And gice us your impressions!

Prudence-Merenwen

Thank you very much for driving me here again! I was lost..
Queen of Pentacle said:
Hi Prudence Merenwen
Call me Prue, more easier ! :D
Queen of Pentacle said:
I don't know if you aware of it, but both "Gilded tarot" and "Easy Tarot" kit are avalaible in French, (French cards and French book,and so) since few months
No I didn't know...

(crying a lot)

Thanks for the informations, I have searched a lot for this deck and finally have taken the kit on Amazon, in English of course...
It was a gift for a French friend, who wasn't aware of the french version too.

Not too bad, it's a good english training!

The deck wasn't for me so I can't give you impressions for it. I'm reading the book, I will give him later.
I'm patiently (hum...) waiting for the Legacy at the end of the year. That's why I wanted to have a Rider book.

rhombchick

I bought the easy set and have been using it successfully ever since, but for something called 'the gilded' deck it lacks gilding....
Was the original, the one sold on Ciro's website the only one to be actually gilded??

Queen of Pentacle

No I do not think so.
The limited edition was not gilded neither had gild edges.

If it had been the case, I sure would have splurge for it.

The "Gild" refer to the artistry, frames, ornament and so...And now that you make me thing of it, it sure crave for gold or foil...

The limited ediction was hand made, specially printed and laminated (two finish choice, satin or glosssy), some cards had variations (differont color of one robe in tTemperance for instance) different for each numeroted deck and had a deluxe wooden box.

rhombchick

Oh! Ok..... I was reading the reviews for the deck and they seemed to make out that it had gilding.
I'm glad it didn't though, cos now I don't feel as unspecial!
Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Alison

I actually like the easy tarot book the best. I find the interpretations much more useful than the other one. The other one is a bit vague.

alison