1st Edition vs 2nd Edition Bohemian Gothic

DownUnderNZer

Not to be a pain in one's back side.....

But I would dearly like to know from those of you that have one or both decks of the Bohemian Gothic....think of either of them.

1) Pros and Cons?.
2) Which one appeals more and why?
3) Differences?
4) Card stock and/or quality of one or both?.

Thanks! Hope it is no inconvenience to you.....:)

Under the impression the 1st deck is the way to go, but would like to know the ins and outs of both just to make sure and any info would be appreciated.

Le Fanu

Dashing out to work. Quick reply;

1st edition nicer cardstock, some say (not me) darker images.

2nd edition; nice enough cardstock and (if you're lucky) pewter edges, some say much lighter images. They're lighter but not massively. Some big improvements (like the 8 of Swords, Temperance, and a few others)

But the deal breaker is the Lovers card in the 2nd edition. Doesn't work for me. Sticks out like a sore thumb. But to be honest, each time I use the deck I do all within my powers for the card not to turn up and so far it hasn't.

DownUnderNZer

Dashing out to work. Quick reply;

1st edition nicer cardstock, some say (not me) darker images.

2nd edition; nice enough cardstock and (if you're lucky) pewter edges, some say much lighter images. They're lighter but not massively. Some big improvements (like the 8 of Swords, Temperance, and a few others)

But the deal breaker is the Lovers card in the 2nd edition. Doesn't work for me. Sticks out like a sore thumb. But to be honest, each time I use the deck I do all within my powers for the card not to turn up and so far it hasn't.

Thanks...appreciated...will look for THE LOVERS if possible to have a good old peek.:)

Melia

I only have the 2nd edition, but I love that Lovers card - reads well for me. The only card I dislike in the 2nd is the Queen of Swords - she's much much nicer in the 1st edition imo. If a 3rd edition is released, I hope they revert back to the original QOS.

karen0205

I have had the first edition and did not keep it. I tried to like it, lol.
The images are too dark to really see all the detail in them. Just my opinion.
I prefer the 2nd because not only did they lighten up the images but they added
color accents. I like the way they shuffle and I like the cardstock.
The hard box is also nice to keep them in but really it's the cards that I like.

I like the overall look of the 2nd printing. The images appear smoother to me,
nicer. I'm sure that's not the correct word, smoother, but that's the only way
I can describe it. I think they look better.

DownUnderNZer

I have had the first edition and did not keep it. I tried to like it, lol.
The images are too dark to really see all the detail in them. Just my opinion.
I prefer the 2nd because not only did they lighten up the images but they added
color accents. I like the way they shuffle and I like the cardstock.
The hard box is also nice to keep them in but really it's the cards that I like.

I like the overall look of the 2nd printing. The images appear smoother to me,
nicer. I'm sure that's not the correct word, smoother, but that's the only way
I can describe it. I think they look better.

That really makes it alot more easier to weigh things up must say. :)

When I saw the very 1st pic I found of this deck....loved the artwork...and I use to do art and paint when I was younger, so I spose I have a certain appreciation although I usually love bright rich colors.

But the work in this is rather exquisite.

Thanks so much! :)

Essjay

I have both and the changes for the second edition are mostly wonderful. I prefer some of the old cards (yes, the lovers is definitely one!), and the card stock of the first which is more flexible. I mostly use the first edition, although this is probably as I'm used to it - dark cards and all. This probably doesn't help but I see the first deck as an old friend. The 2nd edition is excellent too :)

Pros of the new deck - it's definitely more colourful and the changes to the new cards give a different emphasis in readings. It feels like a different deck to be honest in that respect.

The crowned one

I have had both and thought them both wonderful, a classic deck in my mind, and I am fussy! I lean towards the second edition, more detail.