"Cartes à jouer & tarots de Marseille : La donation Camoin" by Musées de Marseille

Rusty Neon

"Cartes à jouer & tarots de Marseille : La donation Camoin" by Musées de Marseille

Has anyone got this book yet? Do you find it worthwhile? Thanks!

It's listed on www.amazon.fr:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2951793278/aeclecticta06-21/

Prix: 33.25 euros
Éditeur : Alors hors du temps (28 juillet 2004)

Description of book from the amazon site. Sorry, it's in French. (Don't shoot the messenger. :))

Présentation de l'éditeur
Le Tarot de Marseille, connu et distribué de nos jours dans le monde entier, a contribué à la renommée de la ville. Ce que l'on sait moins, c'est que l'arrivée du jeu de naïb à Marseille à la fin du Moyen-Age est à l'origine d'une longue tradition de maîtres cartiers et d'une industrie qui demeure florissante jusqu'en 1878, date à laquelle ne subsiste que la maison Camoin, la plus célèbre des carteries marseillaises. Mais celle-ci, trop dépendante de l'exportation vers les pays méditerranéens et du Sud-Est asiatique, ne résistera pas à l'éclatement de l'Empire colonial, et lorsqu'elle fermera ses portes en 1971, elle donnera à la ville de Marseille ses précieuses collections de cartes, de tarots, d'outils et d'objets divers qui sont aujourd'hui conservés par le musée du Vieux-Marseille. C'est donc à travers cette collection exceptionnelle que cet ouvrage aborde l'histoire et la fabrication des cartes à jouer et du tarot à Marseille ainsi que le monde interlope du jeu.

kenji

Hi:)
I have a copy of this title.
But as the text is all in French, for me it is something
rather "to see" than "to read"...:(

There are many interesting pictures in this book.
A few Joseph Fautrier cards can be seen, for example.

Alta

'free' Translation of the text in RN's post

Presentation of the editor:
The Marseilles Tarot, known and distributed these days in the entire world, contributed to the fame of the city. Lesser known is that the arrival of the game of naïb to Marseilles at the end of the Means Acts is at the origin of a long tradition of master card-makers and of an industry that remained flourishing to 1878, dates to which exist only the house Camoin, the most famous one of the marseillais card makers. But this one, too depending on exportation towards the countries méditerranéens and Asian Southeast, will not withstand the explosion of the colonial empire, and when she will close its harbors in 1971, she will give to the Marseilles city its precious collections of cards, of tarots, of tools and of various objects that today are preserved by the museum of the Old Marseilles. This is therefore through this exceptional collection that this work approaches the history and the manufacture of the cards to play and tarot to Marseilles as well as the world interlope of the game.

Sophie

This really makes me want to have a little week-end in Marseille. Only 5 hours drive away, max - I'll wait until the weather is better, however. Catch the Med and the Mistral in spring!