200 £ for a Sheridan deck!

Adam McLean

The price surely reflects the early date of this deck.
It is an important work in twentieth century tarot.
I would love to have a copy of this, as would many collectors, I am sure. Like Coredil, I did follow the
auction and did think of bidding when the price was
still in the £50 mark, but two people were determined
to have it and the price shot away, but they were
trumped in the final seconds by a previously undeclared
bidder. They must have been devastated !

WolfSpirit

I never knew this deck and just now had a look at it at Tarotgarden. I don't find the deck ugly at all, I think it also has a certain energy and uniqueness about it.
Am relieved that it is not a "must have" for me though so I don't have to start hunting :D

gregory

Adam McLean said:
The price surely reflects the early date of this deck.
It is an important work in twentieth century tarot.
I would love to have a copy of this, as would many collectors, I am sure. Like Coredil, I did follow the auction and did think of bidding when the price was
still in the £50 mark, but two people were determined to have it and the price shot away, but they were trumped in the final seconds by a previously undeclaredbidder. They must have been devastated !
So it was YOU got Coredil's David's ??? :( Poor coredil..... (OK OK I got his first one a few days earlier....)

S/D is a nice deck :p It was one of my first.

Lillie

The cute doggy makes up for everything!
I havn't got a scanner, I wish I could post him up.

He is perfectly circular. Like an 8th pentacle on the 7 of pentacles card!

Thank you Gregory.
Plain purple! Then I did not misunderstand the Q/A on ebay.

Mine are purple and whte, and not sticky at all, nor hard to shuffle, for all that they are very old and much used.
(perhaps that wore the sticky off?)

Two diferent backs, then!
Wow!

f. silvestris

Jeannette said:
To be honest, I've never quite understood the massive appeal of the Sheridan-Douglas deck, either. I mean, it's very nice -- but there's nothing superior about it along any dimension (art, symbolism, etc.), either, IMO.

Yet we continually -- CONTINUALLY -- get inquiries about it at Tarot Garden through our search service. Sometimes from people saying that they're so desperate to find it that they're practically begging for it.

I seem to remember the Farrars were keen on this particular deck, so perhaps at least some of your would-be customers have seen it recommended in the witches' bible or whatever.

gregory

Lillie said:
Mine are purple and whte, and not sticky at all, nor hard to shuffle, for all that they are very old and much used.
(perhaps that wore the sticky off?)

Two diferent backs, then!
Wow!
Are yours very VERY thick - they're a pain as they bend very easily... I suppose yours ARE by Mandragora and not some other press that did a better job ?

coredil

Sheridan seven of cups

@ Lillie: Here is the card.
Not sure if I understand what you mean though.
I personally love this card very much, as I love much cards of the minor Arcana from this deck:
the two of pentacles, the two of wands, the two of swords, the four of pentacles and I love the Fool too.

@ Helvetica: Je voulais seulement te dire que j'aime beaucoup ton humour que j'ai déjà eu l'occasion d'apprecier sur d'autre thèmes ;-)

@ Gregory: A David's Tarot is already "unterwegs" to Germany :))

Attachments

• SheridanCups7.jpg
    SheridanCups7.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 137

gregory

coredil said:
@ Gregory: A David's Tarot is already "unterwegs" to Germany :))
Prima. Wo hast du es gefunden ?

coredil

@gregory: you have a pm

Lillie

Thank you coredil.

That dog just does it for me.

It's just so circular.

Our dog lies like that. I think all dogs do.