Tarot in Movies

Jeannette

MuseSway: What scene do the tarot cards appear in? I have The Cell on DVD; I can check to see if I recognize them.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

September Pixie

Theres been a few scenes on my soap opras.. Port Charles used to have Lucy use them quite often but they looked more like an oracle kind of deck.. but All My Children has Opal reading them just recently before Dixie came back telling Di (her sister) that she is keeping a secret from Tad.. reading for them at Babe & JR's party.. but I cannot remember dates :( Opals deck looked somewhat new but kind of along the TdM style... ivory colored cards with lots of gold.

TheMuseSway

Scene before the ending.

Sorry I do own the movie but I lent to my mother. Hehe, I believe it's the scene right before she enters Carl's head one last time. She glances over the cards to get a reference to pick something that she repersented. She goes in it looks similar to the Virgin Mary though, they're were a whole stack beneath them So I assume they may have been tarot cards.

Jeannette

I took a close look at that "card" -- it's a picture of the Virgin Mary, alright. Not at all a tarot card. It's paper-clipped to some papers that the heroine is reading. But it might make a nice High Priestess card for some deck. ;)

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

TheMuseSway

Oh Thank You

Yes, I was sure it was the Virgin Mary, I just got back the movies I plan on watching it again soon. I'm glad for your help I also agree it would make a nice High Priestess card.

MoonLitCrystal

I just saw that movie Just my Luck, and I was very pleased to see a Tarot reader! I won't spoil the plot for anyone, but basically the movie is about a girl who has great luck and a guy who has terrible luck. They kiss at this party and their luck switches-now she has the bad and he has the good.

The Tarot reader was at this party using a Rider-Waite deck. She pulls out the Lovers for a couple on a date (of course). Then the main character talks with her, and she pulls out the Magician, meaning that the girl has been very lucky thus far. Then she pulls the Wheel of Fortune, but she says, "It's upside down!" So she explains that it means the girl's luck is about to change. Then the final card she pulls (after the girl walks away) is Fate (I do not have this card in my decks, so I will look for discussions on it. *Scratching head*) The reader looks up from the card, and her surroundings pretty much mimic what is on the card.

It was really cool since I know what these cards actually mean now. I got all excited and started nudging my friend and husband and pointing to the screen. LOL

*Edited to add* I can't seem to find any threads about the Fate card. If someone knows of any, I'd greatly appreciate being directed there. If not, I may just start a thread about it :)

HudsonGray

Sounds like they made up the card for the movie. There is no 'Fate' card in the RW deck. Some oracle decks have one, but standard tarot does not. I bet they could have pulled the Judgment card and had it work just as well.

MoonLitCrystal

Thank you Hudson. I would have been racking my brain trying to figure out that Fate card LOL.

In the movie it was a very beautiful card. If I remember correctly, it had two people dancing under a starry sky. When the card reader looked up, she saw the man and the woman dancing, and there was confetti falling all around (looking like the stars on the card).

You are right, the Judgement card would have done just as well :) Oh well, you know in most movies they have to exaggerate everything or bend the truth just a little!

sunflowr

Has anyone seen "My Date With Drew"? In that movie, the main character guy (who is trying to get a date with Drew Barrymore) goes to the Psychic Eye Bookstore in Sherman Oaks and he gets a reading done with the Hanson Roberts! I wish I could read like that lady did! All these cards were out, and I wish I could know how she came up with the info she did.

tink27

Anyone seen D.C. Sniper: 23 days of fear?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks

It says here,
wikipedia said:
The shooter attempted to engage the police in a dialog, compelling Moose to tell the media cryptic messages intended for the sniper. At several scenes Tarot cards were left as calling cards, including one Death card upon which was written "Dear Policeman, I am God.

It is the shocking 'dramatization of the Belt-way sniper.

tink